Would you live in Canberra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I lived for a year or so in Australia - small town an hour north of Sydney - only visitied Canberra once for a meeting so didn't see the place - but the pleasant but a bit dull vibe seems about right - but as I say I spent virtually no time there. I would love to have seen Blue Poles but didn't manage it. I'd not want to live there for ever but for a year or three yes.

Good points - incredibly friendly and welcoming people. Astonishing wildlife - standard bird is a parrot or cockatoo rather than a dull small brown thing. And the bigger animals like kangaroos, wombats and so on never ceased to amaze me. The whole outdoor scene - hillwalking, camping out in the bush etc is great. Eating out was good and cheap too by and large, but don't make the mistake of ordering a gammon steak - what arrives is some kind of spam - at the same price as a perfectly fine beef steak.

Bad points - the beer is woefull, albeit wine is good and cheap. I usually drank (local) champagne - how cool is that? Slightly cheaper than red wine itself very reasonably priced. Unexpectly it is very rule bound with lots of " can't do this, can't do that" Obviously there's the bike helmets thing - just the thing for a very hot country whatever else you might think, but it is symptomatic. The jokes about "more culture in a yoghurt than Australia" does have a grain of truth if that matters to you.

So great for wildlife, outdoorsy stuff and friendliness - with inevitably a few disadvantages.

I would check the cost of living and that your deal is Ok for this - when I was there 25 years ago it was slightly cheaper than Uk on balance - but I have heard things have changed considerably since then - just need to check.

Oh yes -and it is pretty hot - too hot for me to be honest but you get slighly used to it - but I don't really like hot weather

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Well, today's developments look like this is going to happen (assuming that the company can suss out my medical care and cover it for us (the stuff not covered by my BUPA healthcare, so pre-existing medical conditions))... we have decided that if it can be sorted, we are going and the company has started the visa application for both of us.

Tomorrow we make the decision if to pull out of the house purchase, we can't cover the mortgage payments on rental, so sadly it looks like we will have to say goodbye to the house, but it seems daft to waste (another) opportunity of a life time and we have decided that we want to go there....

We have just left our families know. Delight all round thankfully!

So assuming a few (minor) issues can be dealt with and visa application is fine, the new year could well see us in Australia for 3 years minimum!

Eeeks.:eek:

:hyper:

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, today's developments look like this is going to happen (assuming that the company can suss out my medical care and cover it for us (the stuff not covered by my BUPA healthcare, so pre-existing medical conditions))... we have decided that if it can be sorted, we are going and the company has started the visa application for both of us.

Tomorrow we make the decision if to pull out of the house purchase, we can't cover the mortgage payments on rental, so sadly it looks like we will have to say goodbye to the house, but it seems daft to waste (another) opportunity of a life time and we have decided that we want to go there....

So assuming a few (minor) issues can be dealt with and visa application is fine, the new year could well see us in Australia for 3 years minimum!

Don't forget to leave the flight number!
Otherwise I'll have to contact Australia for details.
Dreamliner can do it in just over 20 hour's, nonstop.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Excellent...all the very best of British luck to you.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi SatNav, this is amazing!

I lived in Sydney for nearly 2 years in my young married days and I wish I had done it when I was older and more adventurous. We visited Canberra one weekend for something connected to my husband's job - we stayed at the university, it was something to do with the Australian version of U3A. It was VERY quiet but we saw some great art! From what I remember the roads are wide and flat and perfect for a trike, so that's a plus.

They used to say Canberra was empty at weekends because all the pollies (politicians) and associated workers left but I wonder if that is still the case (this was 1987!). From what people are saying on this thread it sounds as though it has become more of a "place". I really hope it works for you - two years is a long time when you're 22 like I was and hadn't got the internet or even much of a phone connection (expensive!) but now Oz does not feel quite so far away. It truly is a totally different culture though, and if you like visual art you will have a lot of fun. Also upthread someone said the beer was p*ss but actually there are some good craft beers now and the food is generally amazing - the veggies and fruit are wonderful and there is a big mix of international cuisine - you would love the Indonesia tempeh and stuff you can get very easily there.

Motobecane

Guru
Hi SatNav, this is amazing!
Also upthread someone said the beer was p*ss but actually there are some good craft beers now and the food is generally amazing - the veggies and fruit are wonderful and there is a big mix of international cuisine - you would love the Indonesia tempeh and stuff you can get very easily there.

Oh yes! ... the food is supposed to be first rate. And you are right about craft beers. I'm so envious!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Top Bottom