Would you live in Canberra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Good luck in Oz, should be an adventure. I haven't been to Canberra, but Sydney, Alice Springs and Cairns were an education.

Are you flying or... :bicycle:?

:whistle:
I'm told the commute will take too long.
I did try.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3983499, member: 259"]There is absolutely no way I will be visiting a country with compulsory helmet laws, sorry. There are plenty of other places that don't that will be getting my money instead.[/QUOTE]

although it sounds silly I kind-of agree. Given the place is ridiculously hot, wearing a helmet would be especially irksome. They do love rules and banning stuff over there despite the place's many other virtues

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Having worked as a blacksmith in Australia all I can say about the heat is you get use to it, I arrived in Perth in the September and by Christmas I was all ready acclimatised yes it was hot, but you just get on with it, if not you'll end up being a whinging pom and on your way back home.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Having worked as a blacksmith in Australia all I can say about the heat is you get use to it, I arrived in Perth in the September and by Christmas I was all ready acclimatised yes it was hot, but you just get on with it, if not you'll end up being a whinging pom and on your way back home.
Thankfully Canberra has a climate similar to the south of England where I lived for way too long... It even gets a couple of frosts a year and snow in the mountains not far off!

Thankfully Canberra has a climate similar to the south of England where I lived for way too long... It even gets a couple of frosts a year and snow in the mountains not far off!
Winters are UK cold (often below freezing at night) but the summers are much warmer. Or can you tell me where in southern England I can find an average August temperature of 28??

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_070014_All.shtml

It's a continental climate, and most of the inhabited parts of Australia enjoy a mediterranean climate.

Interestingly it's actually considerably warmer in summer than Sydney and Melbourne on average, but doesn't have the extreme temperatures that can occur in the coastal cities (eg 46.8 record in Melbourne during the 2009 fires)

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Two winters in a row :sad:
Yeh, the irony hit me as well!

outlash

also available in orange
Go. I'm currently in Cairns and apart from the heat (today was 34), it's a rather nice place to be.
What has struck me is that it has more of an American influence that I thought it would have. Despite the negative press, cycling seems to be more popular here than at home, many more bike shops too.

outlash

also available in orange
I love Cairns, although I've not been there for 4 years. I just love the Tobruk open air swimming pool near the airport. Is it still open? It was going to be renovated, last I heard.

It looks like it has been renovated. From what I can tell is there was an original brick structure and they've added a swoopy blue 'shell' on top (think the London Velodrome) and a roof. But it's open on the sides, looks interesting.
Have to say the Kuranda railway is up there with Fort William - Mallaig as one of the great rail trips you can make.

Last edited:
Top Bottom