Would you live in Canberra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SeanM

A good point mentioned by @Ganymede is the internet in Australia, it's not great, though if it's NBN enabled (fibre into the home), that's pretty much standard for what you'll be able to get here. But Tony Abbot, prevented that being rolled out effectively to the whole of Australia. So if it's important to you, make sure you look into this, otherwise you'll be stuck with ADSL2+, or superfast Cable, neither or which are actually that good. Though, thinking about it, as Canberra is where the Govt is, they may well have decent coverage there.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
A good point mentioned by @Ganymede is the internet in Australia, it's not great, though if it's NBN enabled (fibre into the home), that's pretty much standard for what you'll be able to get here. But Tony Abbot, prevented that being rolled out effectively to the whole of Australia. So if it's important to you, make sure you look into this, otherwise you'll be stuck with ADSL2+, or superfast Cable, neither or which are actually that good. Though, thinking about it, as Canberra is where the Govt is, they may well have decent coverage there.
Thanks. Where we live now if fibre (in the last 6 months). We get a stunning 5Mps (:giggle: i only tried it because the package was cheaper than the one we were on at the time and i had nothing to lose!) so ADSL2+ will be fine, but it is something we have been discussing and are aware of because of me being an it engineer and the hope that I will recover enough to work again, though it does not have to be in IT. But a family friend is in Canberra (we discovered last night) and says there is no issue in getting a job in IT (their field as well). They also went out for 3 years originally and are now staying... Now having a contact there if going to help considerably, though they don't know this yet ;)

jefmcg

Guru
Oh yes! ... the food is supposed to be first rate. And you are right about craft beers. I'm so envious!
You can certainly get decent beer in Australia, but in Canberra you should focus on the wine. It's a pleasure drinking a wine when you have chatted to the winemaker, in a tasting room surrounded by huge oak barrels filled with ageing wine.

It used to be a thing that people would retire from the civil service (known as public service in oz) and open a winery. Particularly scientists from CSIRO. http://www.winewisdom.com/articles/regional-profiles/canberra-district-riesling-rising/.

jefmcg

Guru
On the type of plane they fly out on?
A380.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
My mother keeps reminding me off the stopovers we can have... Friends/family in Hong Kong, Sydney, Melbourne... The list is that long we would never arrive in Canberra! And then there is the lot in NZ as well....

Booyaa

Veteran
[QUOTE 3983499, member: 259"]There is absolutely no way I will be visiting a country with compulsory helmet laws, sorry. There are plenty of other places that don't that will be getting my money instead.[/QUOTE]
^_^
This is one of the funniest posts on this board. Chapeau.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
[QUOTE 3983499, member: 259"]There is absolutely no way I will be visiting a country with compulsory helmet laws, sorry. There are plenty of other places that don't that will be getting my money instead.[/QUOTE]
Yep, feel the same. Don't need one on a recumbent trike but it will work well as a sun shield... But this isn't the place to discuss it and they are paying us to go, not the other way around, so I can probably cope! :whistle:

Top Bottom