Would you live in Canberra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd certainly do it. It's not like it's a permanent move, so why not? It's not often you get the chance to live in another country for a bit.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Looking at this, I can imagine worse places to spend a couple of years.

large.jpg

Is that Swindon?

philk56

Guru
I was there for a couple of days in August and pretty much confirm what others have said. Very business and politically-oriented town and still lots of new building going on. However it does have some great museums and galleries, and the surrounding countryside is stunning. Can also confirm it gets pretty cold in the winter! As in most of Australia you'd be lost without a car but the town itself does seem quite well laid out in the centre for cycling. If there is any chance to visit for a week or two I would recommend you try it first, I think it's probably the sort of place people either love or hate but I can't say from just a two-day visit what side I'm on.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Thanks everyone, some useful information.

We have already had one opportunity of a life time and taken it (he took voluntary redundancy from an ex-gov agency, we sold everything we owned and set off to (try to) cycle around the world), so in some ways can't help feeling a trifle 'too lucky' with this coming up.

We have a ton of Q's that need answering by my OH's work. Healthcare had been at the top of the list. One of the reasons for considering it was my health, but from a back point of view I am pretty much on the 'only time will now tell'. Physio are on the point of signing me off I think.

We have no idea what the 'package' is, we are waiting for more information. What we do know is that it is a 2-3 year secondment, so his job would exist when we get back. We have no idea if there is a ''can we visit it for a few weeks" option first, and we don't know if the buy the house we are interested in now is an option with a view to renting it out because I think the mortgage would actually work out higher than the rental value of the property... but like I said we have a ton of Q's and a whole host of things to sort out and the post was only advertised a few days before my OH took 2 weeks annual leave so all he has been able to do is register his interest and scare the living daylights out of his boss. He is going to ring them for some more information and get it sent to a home email address because he can't access work whilst on holiday unless he brings his work computer and runs around the loch three times having done 2 triathlons first and then jumps through several hundred rings... - you get my meaning. His works laptop is safely locked up at work and there is no webmail access for security reasons.

We aren't too bothered by cold in the winter (in fact we rather like it being the odd people we are). It being a quiet city as people have said, would be useful because I'm not a city person really and that is one of our concerns. I am happy to hear about the surrounding countryside/area - not concerned about getting to Sydney, it isn't that interesting to me tbh. Yes I would probably visit but I'm not that interested in making it a regular thing!

Healthcare had been at the top of the list. One of the reasons for considering it was my health, but from a back point of view I am pretty much on the 'only time will now tell'. Physio are on the point of signing me off I think.

You'd be mad to take this without private insurance included (with your health history), but public health care is good in Australia and Medicare have a reciprocal arrangement with the NHS which means you will be covered just like Australians as soon as you arrive in the country.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
You'd be mad to take this without private insurance included (with your health history), but public health care is good in Australia and Medicare have a reciprocal arrangement with the NHS which means you will be covered just like Australians as soon as you arrive in the country.
We are just guessing at the moment (the guy concerned is in all day audit meeting and can't be disturbed today) but given that the company give all their employees private health care even in the UK and we pay for me to be added on (thankfully!) that there would be private health care in Australia as well. Though that said, certain things are excluded like my asthma, but a significant number are covered because they were not diagnosed until after we took out the policy with my husband's work.... so finger's crossed but it is something that is at the top of the list.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
We are just guessing at the moment (the guy concerned is in all day audit meeting and can't be disturbed today) but given that the company give all their employees private health care even in the UK and we pay for me to be added on (thankfully!) that there would be private health care in Australia as well. Though that said, certain things are excluded like my asthma, but a significant number are covered because they were not diagnosed until after we took out the policy with my husband's work.... so finger's crossed but it is something that is at the top of the list.
Then I would say pack your suitcases it's a GREAT country..............why oh why did I leave

Hmm, asthma. A couple of thoughts on that. I imagine you'd mostly deal with asthma with your GP, and that would come from medicare, not your insurance. In Australia, you can pick and choose your own GP - you don't have to register with a GP the way the NHS makes you do, though obviously you'll want to have a GP that knows you. Generally you pay the GP directly, then get most of that back from Medicare, usually doing the refund at the GPs as you pay the bill. And of course in an emergency you will go straight to A&E (Emergency) and that will also be covered - though not the ambulance, you'll want insurance for that. Prescriptions are subsidised the same way as they are here, standard price per prescription for covered drugs, no matter what the actual price is. I would assume that would cover all your asthma medication.

But the other point is heating. I had asthma as a child (diagnosed as chronic bronchitis at the time), and it came back in my 20s when I moved into a house with ducted central heating. This is pretty common in Australia, basically a gas fire and a large fan, and the warm air is blown through underfloor ducts with vents in the floor. I don't know whether my asthma reoccurred because of the allergens in the the dust that inevitably lines the ducts, or from the effect of gas fumes or it was just a coincidence, but if I was you I'd try to get a house with a different form of heating. Just a thought.

Oh, and speaking of lung disease, stay away from Mr Fluffy

Last edited:

tonyg52

Always enjoyed Canberra for the weekend always something to do. Home of the national gallery (blue poles) national library, high court and the institute of sport.
Local markets etc. Cooma is the gateway to the snowy mountains. The coast is only about 2 hours away. Hot in summer (dry heat) cold in winter. The best of all Australia.

philk56

Guru
Home of the national gallery (blue poles)
Blue poles wasn't on view when we were there as the gallery is being renovated so only about half was open. Did enjoy the Sidney Nolan Ned Kelly series.

We also liked the fact that the parliament building is so accessible - once past the initial security you can just wander round the building. There is a second check to get into either of the chambers but very friendly.

I'd recommend reading the chapter on Canberra in Bill Bryson's book Down Under (actually would really recommend the whole book). Although a few years old now his descriptions are still pretty much on the spot as long as you appreciate his sense of humour.

SeanM

I've no idea on how severe your asthma is, but as it's been mentioned a few times, all i can say is from my own experience, my own asthma (mild though it is), was vastly improved by living in Australia. The lack of carpets in houses, and the tendency toward open plan living, and just generally the outdoor lifestyle, all helped. Because the weather is substantially better, just because it's winter, it doesn't mean you get stuck staring at the tv for three months. The sun will still be shining and although it will be cold, blue skies are what you get 9 months of the year.

I also found Australian healthcare to be substantially better than the UK, but it does cost for every step. It can be difficult to find fully funded GP's, so going to the docs costs from $0 upto $75, but Medicare will pay about $35 of this. GP's tend to refer you to physios, the physio sends you for an xray, or an MRI, or a better physio etc etc, and each one costs more.

You'll also be able to get decent Thai food, but their bacon is rubbish, and you'll need to find a decent butcher if you want nice pork sausages, weirdly, Aussies love beef sausages.

Top Bottom