would you take the discount or have it replaced ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
OK thanks guys. I think I'll do what all of you suggested and what I would have most likely done anyway if I hadn't asked the question. I know it's not a huge chip and I won't notice it's there in a few weeks or so but as mentioned above, it is a niggle, and it's a brand new bike! I mentioned in the email to them that these things happen over time anyway, especially where the chip is located. The way I wrote it went a long way I think and that's the reason they generously offered the discount.
I hate complaining at the best of times
Cheers

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Best paint to use is Humbrol model paint. There are hundreds of shades available and you should get something very close to that as it is a sort of battleship grey, popular with modellers. It won't matter down there that it isn't an exact match and if you go a bit lighter rather than darker you'll soon not notice it. I've never had much success trying to match car paint to a bike.

JMAG

Über Member
As others have said, I'd take the 100 and buy some touch up paint.

Make sure you though, as that area will get a lot of water and be prone to rust.

I thought the TCR had carbon dropouts? Although it admittedly looks like metal, it could be aluminium. I'm not saying it wouldn't be prudent to paint anyway, just curious.

JMAG

Über Member
Has anyone else tilted their phone to one side to get a better look at the hanger from behind? Lol

Seriously though, I don't know how you could tell from that photo.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Has anyone else tilted their phone to one side to get a better look at the hanger from behind? Lol
:laugh:

Seriously though, I don't know how you could tell from that photo.
This is why I'm not sure. What I'm looking at the is allen bolt holding the derailleur to the hanger - it should be pretty much parallel to the axle skewer but it looks like it's not in those photos, as if the hanger had been bent inwards slightly.

JMAG

Über Member
I see. That's probably lens distortion on a mobile phone camera I'd guess, but you'd need a photo from behind to see properly.

My new tcr was delivered yesterday and on unpacking the bike I noticed a chip in the paintwork right where the rear skewer goes through. I have emailed the company and they have given me the choice of a replacement bike or £100 off as conpensation. Obviously with the amount of times the rear wheel comes off the bike these areas are prone to paintwork chips etc......
I think it'll be ok but what would you do View attachment 98911 View attachment 98911

I cant see any paint chips. I maybe color blind but im not that bad! Still for a bike costing over a grand I would want more than a £100 discount, but this would assume there really was a chip.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd taken the replacement bike. If you'd wanted a bike with chips in the paint you could've bought a used one and saved a blummen sight more than £100.

JMAG

Über Member
Where the feck is it?:scratch:

QuickMemo+_2015-08-06-00-56-46~2.jpg

I'd taken the replacement bike. If you'd wanted a bike with chips in the paint you could've bought a used one and saved a blummen sight more than £100.

Still quite a difference between a used bike and a new bike with a small chip in an inconspicuous place. Giant lifetime frame warranty is not transferable either and some would consider that of value. Some people can't even spot it in a close up photo! Lol

I'd go with the £100

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
View attachment 98975

Still quite a difference between a used bike and a new bike with a small chip in an inconspicuous place. Giant lifetime frame warranty is not transferable either and some would consider that of value. Some people can't even spot it in a close up photo! Lol

I'd go with the £100
Cheers for that JMAG
iv been advised to put some of my.....I mean my wife's clear nail polish to help seal it.

Top Bottom