would you take the discount or have it replaced ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a list of paints called the "RAL" code

If you can find the code number then it is easy to get the right colour paint

Drago

Legendary Member
View attachment 98975

Still quite a difference between a used bike and a new bike with a small chip in an inconspicuous place. Giant lifetime frame warranty is not transferable either and some would consider that of value. Some people can't even spot it in a close up photo! Lol

I'd go with the £100

And the lifetime warranty won't be worth jack if the frame cracks at a point that's been touched up by hand. They'll bleat that what damaged the paint was sufficient to damage the frame beneath and you'd be left walking to work.

Buy a new bike, expect a new bike.

JMAG

Über Member
And the lifetime warranty won't be worth jack if the frame cracks at a point that's been touched up by hand. They'll bleat that what damaged the paint was sufficient to damage the frame beneath and you'd be left walking to work.

Buy a new bike, expect a new bike.

It is a new bike, it's just a new bike with a small paint chip. Anyway, Giant aren't refusing the OP a replacement bike, they are just offering an alternative, which saves them money and hassle. It's entirely the buyer's choice, puts £100 in their pocket and probably saves Giant more than £100 in swapping the bike out and getting rid of the soiled/damaged bike at a reduced price.

You make a good point about the warranty and it would be a good idea to get confirmation from Giant that they will honour the warranty if the dropout is touched up and subsequently fails. That's assuming the OP wants to go with the £100 option of course.

I'd go for the £100, you wouldn't and we'll see what the buyer decides. :smile:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You lucky so and so - although I bet when you first saw it your heart sank. I hope my n+1 arrives like this and I can start negotiations. Almost 20 years ago I negotiated a hefty 25% discount off my Trek MTB because it arrived with paint damage and that was on top of a decent discount because I bought it through a fried that worked for Trek UK. Second time out on the bike I came off the bike onto rocks and scraped it in exactly the same place as the damage. I still use this bike as my commuter today.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Is it worth worrying how the paint got chipped away? I mean, if we're being paranoid and all...

But as you say, providing the guarantee for the frame is still in place, it's not an issue.

Drago

Legendary Member
Are Giant aware that the retailer have sold a damaged bike? Have Giant confirmed that the frame warranty will remain unaffected?

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I'd take the £100 as I think thats a pretty good offer. The paint came off the forks on my Defy the first time I took the wheel out and I just touched it in. I couldnt be arsed to take it back as they would have blamed me and rightly so. If you received the bike like that then it worth asking for some discount. Evans only gave me £40 off for a scratched stem so £100 isnt bad IMHO.

Top Bottom