York-Humber Bridge, Saturday, 13th July, 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll say yes @ColinJ . Been a while since l crossed the bridge on a bike.:okay:
Well, once you have done it this time, it will only be an hour or so before you do it again!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Team! Advice please.

Safe in the knowledge that no one on the July 5 FNRttC from York to Hull, which I'm leading, will see this post* I ask this: is the Nev Cole Way shown on Google Maps cycleable?

My recollection is that we have traditionally gone up a large-ish hill then turned left to go down a similarly large-ish hill then turned right and towards the bridge, which we go over.

A glance at Google Maps suggests we can avoid the going up, which is IMHO usually a good thing, esp with 50 tired cyclists who have been up all night.

So: a bit of "comedy off-roading" is always a laugh but deep slimy stuff for hundreds of yards is best avoided, I'm sure you'll agree. I'm aware there appears to be some form of tarmac pathway that is then replaced by mud. However, this is Google Maps in satellite view. Which is nowhere near as good as an expert, experienced opinion from someone who knows.

What does the team think?

*at least, as long as you lot don't tell them there's a chance we'll avoid the biggest hill on the ride......

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Team! Advice please.

Safe in the knowledge that no one on the July 5 FNRttC from York to Hull, which I'm leading, will see this post* I ask this: is the Nev Cole Way shown on Google Maps cycleable?

I'll hopefully be riding with you on the FNRttC, & I won't tell a soul :okay: I've never been on the 'Nev Cole Way' (well only as far as the cafe) but I could venture out that way very soon if you like & report back? I'll be doing it in daylight & by the time it's covered by Friday Nighters it should be well light then too ^_^ If is isn't passable on a road bike, it won't be a wasted trip for me, as the cafe is an excellent stop, thanks @ColinJ I've been a few times since last years trip :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Will the Fridays go on to Nev Cole Way?

It's east of the bridge, which I thought they went over.

I wonder if @mmmartin is asking about avoiding the longish and stiffish climb up from South Ferriby.

It is possible to turn left off that (towards the estuary) and head towards Far Ings Road and the bridge.

Not too bad to start with, but there's a stretch of singletrack which is barely ridable.

OK if there's only a couple of you, but not much good with a large group.

From memory, you also skirt a farmyard, and there are signs saying 'walkers only' or somesuch, so you may get a poor reception on a bike if spotted.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
The bit I'm thinking of is to the west of the bridge. Sounds very much like that bit of single track you describe. The Fridays can cope with just about anything if they decide to.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Any sort of advice gratefully received, so bear in mind you might be requested to pop up to the front of the ride for that section.......

After the left fork off the Ferriby climb there is a wide but badly potholed stretch of rough asphalt.

I swerved around the potholes easily enough in daylight, might be more of a hazard at night.

There's a natural turn to the right on to a track which leads down to the shore.

About 100m before the water, you will need to take a right fork onto a footpath which goes around the farmyard and back onto a metalled road.

Fairly obvious in daylight, but it would be easy enough to miss in the dark.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Great news, many thanks. Is the footpath around the farmyard rideable or will we have to get off and push - and on Google Maps it looks about a hundred yards or so, is that correct?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Great news, many thanks. Is the footpath around the farmyard rideable or will we have to get off and push - and on Google Maps it looks about a hundred yards or so, is that correct?

The footpath is ridable - my companion @EasyPeez rode it - although with my rubbish bike handling skills i pushed.

About a hundred yards or so, as you say, or maybe a bit less.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It might not be popular for large numbers of cyclists to be going past that farm in the middle of the night though! :whistle:

The impression I had was that a small number of cyclists in the day wasn't popular.

If I recall, the last stretch around the farmyard is a footpath, or rather a beaten track through the grass and scrub.

My visit was a couple of years ago.

Ideally, a recce would be done, but if not I would still be reasonably confident of getting through.

In the worst case scenario of an insurmountable obstacle, the backtrack would be under a mile.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
South Cliff Farm can be seen (hopefully) on this Bing Maps link.

The footpath squiggles through the farmyard, but in reality, the farmer has diverted the path around the south side of the yard.

'FB' on the map refers to small footbridge just shy of the yard over an inlet, so that's something else to be aware of.

https://binged.it/2M9Kbs4

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 13.14.2426 May 2019.png

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This screenshot puts the farm in context.

The riders would fork left at South Ferriby, then fiddle their way to the farm taking a left and right turn.

After the farm, it's plain sailing along Far Ings to the bridge.

The track/road to take is the straight one directly beneath Far Ings and Clay Pits, as marked on the map.

Viking Way, which hugs the estuary, is not suitable for cycling.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 13.23.3026 May 2019.png

mmmmartin

Random geezer
All very helpful. If anyone happens to be in the area and could do a short recce that'd be very helpful. On the actual ride I'll take a vote.

It'll be light by the time we get there: I'd have thought it'd be about 7am. Last year we were at the 'Spoons for opening at 8am.

Top Bottom