England : North Yorkshire York - Humber Bridge - York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Forecast is all over the place, although it's improved a bit from the last time I looked.

See you all in York.

Slioch

Guru
Forecast is now saying it'll be a bit wet up until 10am, but then dry the rest of the day with the possibility of some sun. I'm now going to put some suncream in my bag. Bonkers!

Buck

Guru
Just driven through one heck of a rain storm to get here and then it eased off. No wait, it's chucking it down again !!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This was my sixth go at this route and it proved to be the most challenging.

I've had the nasty, nagging head wind across North Lincolnshire before, and I've had torrential rain, but not both on the same ride.

The rain was that heavy for a spell I took shelter in someone's lean-to just before Howden.

Post-Goole it was headwind time - there's no shelter out there, which makes it hard work even though it's fairly flat.

Happily, the rain stopped as forecast, and the wind was consistent meaning we turned out of it as we passed Scunthorpe.

The climbs before the bridge are a bit sharper than I remembered, 12 per cent was mentioned for one of them which comes as a shock after riding 50 flat miles.

Our significant efforts paid dividends in that we arrived at the lunch stop at the bridge while they were still serving hot food.

My level of tiredness was indicated by me rather feebly dropping my milk and coffee on the restaurant floor.

@EasyPeez took advantage of the improving weather to break cover from home to meet us at the lunch stop.

His fresher legs helped keep us all going as pressed on over the bridge for the last 40-odd miles back to York.

The road closure intelligence proved correct, so we were not diverted.

Warm sunshine in the afternoon meant we dried out eventually.

No serious on-road incidents, although there were one or two close passes on the trafficky bits, mostly before and after the bridge.

@ColinJ - who is rather good at remote route finding - reckons some quieter roads could be found for the next edition of the ride.

That would be a job well done, if he can manage it.

Going back to this year, we managed a moving average of about 14.5mph - a good effort given wind and rain, Colin was on a single speed, @Littgul and @Slioch were on steel tourers, and I don't think any of us reckon ourselves to be particularly fast cyclists.

@Slioch was a bit disappointed to be lagging at times, but when we did wait, it was only for a few minutes, and when I left him at York, he was going home the long way to make it 120 miles for the day.

Extra miles, too, for Colin and @Littgull getting to and from their railway stations.

No extra miles for me - the 106 I did was enough.

My thanks to everyone for their company today, and let's hope for kinder weather next year.

Last edited:
Well that was a very restorative sleep. I strangely take ages to get to sleep after a big bike ride but lat night I was in the land of nod within 5 seconds of hitting the pillow and pleasing to report no aching limbs or legs this morning.

Superb ride reports from @Buck and @Pale Rider. Great pictures too! You have both captured the day and spirit of the group perfectly. I really enjoyed reading them. It was a delightful day out on the bike and a pleasure to ride with you all including meeting some new friends.

Many thanks to @Slioch for guiding @ColinJ and me to York station. Thanks also to Colin for leading the ride in his trademark 'attention to detail' way.
Colin and I arrived at Hebden Bridge at 8.50 pm. My son had texted me that heavy rain was looming. On arrival at Hebden Bridge we saw that the next train to Todmorden (for Colin) and Littleborough (for me) was at 9.26 pm. We both didn't want to wait that long but a fellow cyclist on the platform told us he had just ridden through heavy rain in Mytholmroyd a mere mile away. Colin decided to chance riding the 4 miles to Todmorden. I decided to wait for the train as with 10 miles to Littleborough I figured my chances of beating the rain were very slim. It proved a good decision as when I got off the train at Littleborough it was raining in biblical proportions and although I got soaked my house is only 200 metres up the road from the station. I hope Colin beat the wet stuff.

Hope to see you all again soon and if you are available on Saturday 30th September @nickyboy forum ride from Leeds to Scarborough is another great day out.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Buck's report summarises the ride very well, so I don't need to add much to that.

The ride that @Littgull and did to Hebden Bridge to catch our train to York was horrid! I was praying that we didn't get a puncture en route because we would have been rushing to fix it in terrible conditions, and would have missed our train if we took too long! Fortunately, we got to the station in plenty of time and the train was on time too.

Brian and I had both said that we didn't fancy rushed breakfasts before setting out so we took them with us and ate on the train. I think I will adopt my 'bucket of porridge' approach for similar rides in the future. It means I would be able to stay in bed longer, and it helps pass the time on the rail journey.

We got to York station on time, and then I took my socks off to wring them out before the main ride had even started! :laugh:

I can't take the credit for the detail of the route because it wasn't planned by me. I think I might suggest a few tweaks for future editions so we can spend less time on A-roads and B-roads. In many places they are pretty much unavoidable, but I'm sure that some can be replaced with nice lanes. I'll be checking my maps over coming weeks. I'll post a suggested alternative route below once I have come up with it. Maybe some of the local riders could check out the changes for me? :okay:

I did get caught by rain on the ride back to Todmorden from Hebden Bridge, but at least it was only heavy drizzle. I'd ordered a pizza when I got to HB and this time, it was waiting for me when I arrived at the takeway, unlike after my previous forum ride from Settle!

Thanks for the company everybody - I had a nice time, after drying out after Goole.
PS It was nice to meet you, @EasyPeez.

ColinJ

I thought about Buck's report of the first climb being 12+% and from my recollection, that seemed wrong so I just checked the climbs on my OS maps ...

The first climb (Flixborough) was about 600 metres at 5%.

The second climb (between Thealby and Winterton) had a 200 m stretch at about 10%.

The 3rd climb (South Ferriby) had the steepest ramp - about 250 metres at just over 12%, which was about my limit on my singlespeed's 52/19 gear - much longer or steeper and I would have had to jump off and walk!

After the bridge, there was one long easy drag/climb (from Raywell House) - about 4.6 km at 2.2%.

Buck

Guru
I think the % is academic as it's whether you get to the top or not :biggrin:

I may have got the order of the climbs the wrong way around but I was sure it was the first that got steeper the further up the climb we got?

I rechecked my Garmin file and cross referenced to the Strava segment and it does have a ramp in it up to 14.4% (not that I'm saying this is totally accurate!).

With OS and segments, the % calculated is always an average so belies elements within the section - especially where you get a false summit and/or an exponentially increasing gradient.

Anyways, we all made it safely and enjoyably!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wonder if it's possible to miss out part of the stiff climb - and busy main road - after South Ferriby.

@Buck may recall two cyclists in front of us took the minor left fork on the outskirts of the village.

Looks like there's a track of some sort to South Ferriby Cliff, and Barton Cliff, where there's a car park.

It must be ridable from there past the nature reserve at Far Ings onto the minor road which takes us to the bridge.

https://binged.it/2eHO72R

Buck

Guru
I wonder if it's possible to miss out part of the stiff climb - and busy main road - after South Ferriby.

@Buck may recall two cyclists in front of us took the minor left fork on the outskirts of the village.

Looks like there's a track of some sort to South Ferriby Cliff, and Barton Cliff, where there's a car park.

It must be ridable from there past the nature reserve at Far Ings onto the minor road which takes us to the bridge.

https://binged.it/2eHO72R

I do remember that as we followed them along the approach then as we started to climb they peeled off!

Buck

Guru
I thought about Buck's report of the first climb being 12+% and from my recollection, that seemed wrong so I just checked the climbs on my OS maps ...

The first climb (Flixborough) was about 600 metres at 5%.

The second climb (between Thealby and Winterton) had a 200 m stretch at about 10%.

The 3rd climb (South Ferriby) had the steepest ramp - about 250 metres at just over 12%, which was about my limit on my singlespeed's 52/19 gear - much longer or steeper and I would have had to jump off and walk!

After the bridge, there was one long easy drag/climb (from Raywell House) - about 4.6 km at 2.2%.

I think the % is academic as it's whether you get to the top or not :biggrin:

I may have got the order of the climbs the wrong way around but I was sure it was the first that got steeper the further up the climb we got?

I rechecked my Garmin file and cross referenced to the Strava segment and it does have a ramp in it up to 14.4% (not that I'm saying this is totally accurate!).

With OS and segments, the % calculated is always an average so belies elements within the section - especially where you get a false summit and/or an exponentially increasing gradient.

Anyways, we all made it safely and enjoyably!

I just had a look at Strava during lunch and it looks as I thought.
(*caveat is I'm taking figures from Strava so may be a degree of error?!)

The Flixborough climb is 4% average but peaks at 6.6%

The Thealby Hill climb is 9% average but starts at 4% then peaks at 14.4% then flattens off at the top

The South Ferriby Hill that @Pale Rider has just referred to is a 5% average but this contains a little 16% ramp at the bottom then 10% before a mid flat section then ramping again.

As mentioned, it is relatively academic but I'll be honest I do like a hill or two coming from the hilly part of Yorkshire :smile:

Buck

Guru
PS Might be worth a look re @EasyPeez 's suggestion of a Minster route next year if we could do something - I'd be happy working to pull it together along with your suggestion of the quieter roads @ColinJ ?

York > Howden > Hemingbrough > Hull > Beverley (via Goole then Barton on Humber and across the Humber bridge) = ~120 miles

as above but staying north of the Humber is around 100 miles doing a crude route on Google and we'd obviously want to seek out some of the nice country lanes we had on the return leg of Saturday's ride.

5 Minsters.jpg

ColinJ

I calculated the gradients myself using a 1:10,000 OS digital map and looking at how the gradients varied up the climbs I didn't calculate sub-50 metre segments of road but I looked at the steepest parts and calculated them, plus some averages. Not that it really matters ... :whistle:

I actually plotted an alternative route this morning which avoids any duplication except for a short stretch of York's ring road. I think that there are 2 obvious places to start/finish - as before, at the Minster, or at the railway station. I plotted this route from the railway station, not because I am likely to bec coming in and leaving by train, but because the group could assemble under shelter, with easy access to the station cafe and toilets.

My suggested route starts at the station and heads south past the racecourse to Bishopthorpe and then uses a short stretch of the Trans Pennine Trail to get over the Ouse.

Then: Nayburn, Deighton, Escrick, Skipwith, South Duffield to Hemingbrough. Another short stretch of the TPT would take us to Barmby on the Marsh, and from there head east to Knedlington to pick up the original route on the B1228, just west of Howden.

Follow that route - Goole, 'The Fleets' (Swine/Ouse/Adling), cross the Trent at Althorpe station, Gunness (I thought it was 'Guinness' too!), Flixborough.

Change then from the original route - left from the village, Burton upon Stather, Alkborough, West Halton, Winteringham, South Ferriby.

I can see the path from South Ferriby but I suspect that it is legally a footpath. I do agree that the A1077 climb was a bit busy but it would be a shame to scrap one of only 4 significant climbs on the route so my vote is to keep it in? Do the climb/descent/minor road to the bridge and cafe.

I liked the original ride back apart from the inevitable busy roads coming in to York so I suggest sticking to: The bridge, Hessle, Swanland, Raywell House, Riplingham, South Cave, North Cave, North Cliffe, Everingham to Scamland.

A small change then, pretty much for the sake of variety ... turn R just before Melbourne and head north through Thornton to Allerthorpe Common, then head west to pick up the original route on the B1228 just north of Sutton.

Stick to the original route from there back to York: Elvington, and get on the A1079 at Grimston. Follow that into York and head clockwise round the ring road back to the station.

It is about 5 miles longer than the original route and has 3 of the 4 original climbs and a replacement for the 4th. I think that most of the new roads will be quieter than the ones that they replace.

Humber Bridge revised route from York.png

As for the Minsters ride ... I think that should be as well as the Bridge ride, not instead of it! (I am more interested in huge bridges than huge churches .., :laugh:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom