England : North Yorkshire york humber york 105 miles 25th june

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
we used a convenient park bench last year on the approach to the minster, i'm going to PM my mobile number to all confirmed riders Friday evening so just call me Saturday morning if anybody as a problem
PM for u @ColinJ

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
we used a convenient park bench last year on the approach to the minster, i'm going to PM my mobile number to all confirmed riders Friday evening so just call me Saturday morning if anybody as a problem
PM for u @ColinJ

I'm sure we will find each other, but each time I've been there, there has been a few other cyclists there as well.

I have visions of wrongly joining a group of CTC beardies on their tour.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm sure we will find each other, but each time I've been there, there has been a few other cyclists there as well.

I have visions of wrongly joining a group of CTC beardies on their tour.
I was going to say that I have ridden with busdennis before, but despite that I didn't recognise him when he walked up to me near the finish of the Tour de Yorkshire at Scarborough! :blush:

(I was a bit knackered at the time and I thought it was my cousin calling out my name, so I was flustered when I turned and saw the 'wrong' person standing there accompanied by his wife. His own wife, my cousin is single! :laugh:)

My friends Carrie and Kevin have said that they might drive over from Keighley to join us on the ride. They are not forum members, but they do a lot of my forum rides.

Slioch

Guru
Literally just back from 2 weeks in Greece, but me and the extra half-stone I've probably put on will be there.

I'm familiar with the roads and did this ride last year, so I'm happy to volunteer to be tail-end Charlie if you need one.

As @Pale Rider rider says above, the meeting place is at the west end of the Minster, close to the corner of Duncombe Place & High Petergate. I'll get there a bit early so look out for a large 50ish MAMIL with a green Dawes Galaxy with a Carradice saddlebag loitering about.

ColinJ

My 50 km ride this evening went well so it looks like my battered head is no longer a problem. See you Saturday. :okay:

Oh, my pals Carrie and Kevin have confirmed that they will be coming along as 'guest riders'. If they get to the Minster before Oldfen and I do, watch out for a tiny blonde woman with a white and pink bike, accompanied by a taller, older man. Shout "Carrie" - she answers to her name! :laugh:

ColinJ

I can't find my lock for the cafe stop so I may have to ask someone to lock their bike to mine!

I have decided to ride my mudguard-equipped Basso in case the showers are longer and heavier than expected, though it does look like we should do 3/4 of the ride in dry(or dryish) conditions.

See you in York at 10:00. Unless you are Oldfen, in which case see you in 30 mins in Tod!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
We got rained on - twice.

Nor was it any of your namby-pamby southern rain, it were proper Yorkshire stair rods.

The eight of us set off from York Minster in high spirits and warm sunshine, although the muggy atmosphere should have given us an inkling of what was to come.

We were skilfully led out of York by @busdennis and @Slioch, who shared leading duties for the rest of the ride.

It is very flat leaving York towards Goole, but the landscape is verdant and the villages pretty, so it's not wide open flat plains boring.

Our first stop was Tesco at Goole for snacks, after which there are one or two mostly moderate hills on the way to Humber Bridge.

The lunch stop was after about 60 miles at a cafe on the south side of the bridge, but they'd stopped serving hot food by the time we got there.

We'd made good time, but didn't get away until 10.20 or so, and may have stopped a bit longer in Tesco than we needed to.

There was still nice cake and coffee at the cafe, but I think most of us wanted a hot snack.

We pressed on over the Humber Bridge to an accompaniment of thunder and lightning.

Sure enough, the heavens opened on the far side.

It rained hard for 20 or so minutes, which is enough to dampen my spirits and get me very wet, especially when largely unprepared.

The ride split about 25 miles out of York, @ColinJ's friends Kevin and Carrie were parked in a time sensitive car park, so the sensible decision was made for them to crack on with @busdennis and @Kestevan.

The rest of us rode back at a more moderate pace, and were delayed by the only mechanical of the day - a puncture for @ColinJ.

We will never know if we would have missed the next deluge had Colin not punctured, but miss it we did not.

Getting proper soaked for a second time took it out of me for a while, but my spirits lifted when the rain all but stopped just as the outskirts of York hoved into view.

An excellent ride in good company which was only partially let down by the weather.

Slioch

Guru
As @Pale Rider says, it were right proper rain. At one point I had a stream running off my jacket, through my shorts, and down my legs into my shoes, refreshing the parts other streams cannot reach. Thankfully my higher volume 27x1.25 tyres helped keep me afloat during some of the river crossings we had to negotiate.

Nevertheless. a very enjoyable ride with excellent company, so thank you all, with especial thanks to @busdennis for organising.

:rain: + :crazy: = :thumbsup:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I found driving home in soaking wet cycling shorts to be an uncomfortable experience.

After about half an hour, I didn't know if I wanted a pee or if I'd just had one.

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
morning all. thanks to the 7 fellow cyclists for a great day, was going to write a report but words arn't my great thing and @Pale Rider has done a great job, and that's a great bike you got mate, keep turning them wheels. A few of my thoughts and points for the future. checking strava it looks like we made the cafe for about 3pm last year, the pace looks similar so we may have left the minster more promptly or didn't have to wait for Carrie talking at Tesco's lol ( that girl can defently ride a bike) Anyway sorry for missing proper food but the coffee and cakes did a job but do we need to set of early next year perhaps 9. Nobody can do anything about the weather but that was a storm and half and definalty slowed progress after lunch, i personally learnt a lesion and will always carry a waterproof in future (thanks for the loan of the gilet Slioch and if you PM me your address i will get it posted back to you ASAP. Glad the second group got back ok, we also got soaked a second time and got back to York at 7.50 but did average 18 mph + after the split, i needed to make the 8.50 train or i would have been traveling with the drunks at 10 pm, not a good idea dressed in lycra . finally congratulations to all rider breaking the century for the first time in less than ideal conditions, i was pleased has i had never ridden more than 30 miles single speed before.

Top Bottom