You know who you are!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wife has a bit of a gripe against cyclists who refuse to use cycle lanes especially when one has been built for that purpose. She asked her colleagues at work that cycle why they do so and was told that on the cycle lane they have to stop at every road junction whereas vehicles don't.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
What did the F stand for in that instance?

Perhaps the Y had fallen off?!

Ihatehills

replace cyclist with tractor or farm vehicle. Would you be on here ranting?

You have set an expectation that, because the person is on a bike, they have an obligation to move over.

Yeah, maybe he could have moved over, but given you are in a car and cars are a pretty pish poor commnunication device, you couldn't have a quiet word with him to ask if he could move over, so let your anger seethe over.

You could have actually stopped yourself and taken a breather (the couple of minutes which markymark referred to) and calmed down. Indeed, given you were on a country track, that tells me you weren't in a rush, and if you were then you shouldn't be driving down single track roads and expect to make fast progress.

Life is too short buddy. Your progress is no more important than the cyclist pottering down a country lane or a farmer going about his business.
No, he wouldn't be on a cycling forum moaning about an incident that didnt involve cycling, there probably are tractor forums where there is constant venting, just saying .
Also its alot more difficult to pull a tractor over especially on a narrow road and if one does go sailing past an obvious lay by there normally is a lot of whinging ( at least here in Cornwall) on local radio and the likes

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I'd be astonished if there weren't tracto forums.

And it must be said, Tractors do tend to pull over to let faster vehicles past if going any distance. As do I if in a motorvehicle - hey I let people past whilst on a 1000 cc motorcycle, simply by easing off at a straight bit. Local cars were able to make faster progress than me, a timid returner to mc's so it it was courteous to let em go

tyred

Legendary Member
I just don't understand why you wouldn't pull over to let a car through in those circumstances. Yes it is your right not to do so and that is entirely the rider's prerogative but what do you gain?

If you let the car past, the driver can continue his/her journey at their desired speed without the building stress of perceiving they're being held up, the cyclist can continue the journey in peace and quiet without the stress of having a car sitting behind so everyone is happy and relaxed.

Or you can try to prove a point and unnecessarily irritate people. Live and let live, life is way to short to waste by creating unnecessary tension.

Lemond

Nice! That's the way to do it. I'm sure nobody would expect you to pull over on a steep hill. I too love cycling in France and would echo your observations about the drivers there. You really feel that the roads ar shared.

Sure, but he still had loads of room to pass, but still chose to stay where he was. It was a really nice thing to do on his part and made such a difference to me. I was able to relax a little and spin my way up.

Then again, maybe he was having a right old chuckle watching me suffer!

Lemond

I've had loads of experiences like that here in the UK. Thumbs up from passengers in cars as I crawl up a hill, cars waiting for me at the top of a climb and grinning at me when I make it, even a tractor-driver cheered me on earlier this year.

I wish I could say the same. They really do seem to get it right over there. The only thing I struggled with was that the camber could be quite aggressive in places, which took a little getting used to.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Well, I rode home along a single track road with passing spaces and I pull over halfway along to let the cars pass. Then when they all get stuck in a traffic jam 300yds up the road because the chap coming the other way cannot reverse in a straight line, I sail past them all again. Had too many impatient people behind me over the years. I will usually pull over even to a stop to let cars pass at regular intervals on such a road. Do as you would be done by ?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I just don't understand why you wouldn't pull over to let a car through in those circumstances. Yes it is your right not to do so and that is entirely the rider's prerogative but what do you gain?

If you let the car past, the driver can continue his/her journey at their desired speed without the building stress of perceiving they're being held up, the cyclist can continue the journey in peace and quiet without the stress of having a car sitting behind so everyone is happy and relaxed.

Or you can try to prove a point and unnecessarily irritate people. Live and let live, life is way to short to waste by creating unnecessary tension.
Because there was no safe place for him to do so - thats the point

Top Bottom