You know who you are!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stick-thin legs

last time I saw a pair of legs like that they were hanging out of a nest.

The last time I saw legs like that they were on the winners podium in Paris.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I wonder if the OP would have pulled over, if he was holding up a cyclist riding at speed as he was able to navigate the narrower, quieter roads, better than the motor vehicle..........im guessing not

@Donger
Too right I would. Always. I hate having anyone on my tail. .... which is why I was so considerate for so long. Like i said earlier, live and let live ... modicum of decency etc.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Too right I would. Always. I hate having anyone on my tail. .... which is why I was so considerate for so long. Like i said earlier, live and let live ... modicum of decency etc.
So you would pull over for a cyclist if you was holding him up - i very much doubt that

400bhp

Guru
replace cyclist with tractor or farm vehicle. Would you be on here ranting?

You have set an expectation that, because the person is on a bike, they have an obligation to move over.

Yeah, maybe he could have moved over, but given you are in a car and cars are a pretty pish poor commnunication device, you couldn't have a quiet word with him to ask if he could move over, so let your anger seethe over.

You could have actually stopped yourself and taken a breather (the couple of minutes which markymark referred to) and calmed down. Indeed, given you were on a country track, that tells me you weren't in a rush, and if you were then you shouldn't be driving down single track roads and expect to make fast progress.

Life is too short buddy. Your progress is no more important than the cyclist pottering down a country lane or a farmer going about his business.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
replace cyclist with tractor or farm vehicle.
Isn't that so frustrating? I'll see some farmy type thing with monster queues of vehicles behind all sat there tootling along, stick me on the bike in front instead of the farmer in his tractor and all hell would break loose.

mythste

Veteran
replace cyclist with tractor or farm vehicle. Would you be on here ranting?

You have set an expectation that, because the person is on a bike, they have an obligation to move over.

Yeah, maybe he could have moved over, but given you are in a car and cars are a pretty pish poor commnunication device, you couldn't have a quiet word with him to ask if he could move over, so let your anger seethe over.

You could have actually stopped yourself and taken a breather (the couple of minutes which markymark referred to) and calmed down. Indeed, given you were on a country track, that tells me you weren't in a rush, and if you were then you shouldn't be driving down single track roads and expect to make fast progress.

Life is too short buddy. Your progress is no more important than the cyclist pottering down a country lane or a farmer going about his business.

Obligation < Ability.

As you were.

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
What a bizarre display of "I'm going to go driving a big noisy antisocial vehicle down some narrow lanes which are to a large number of walkers, cyclists and horse riders a refuge from the rest of the god-awful traffic-laden road network in this country (and which if I bother to think about it are of course far too narrow for me to expect to be able to make rapid or easy progress among other road users in my inappropriately wide choice of conveyance), yet complain that other people don't bloody vacate the road by actually completely stopping for me, and for every other big wide noisy antisocial pollution dispenser that comes up behind them in the middle of their really quite decent 15-20mph progress, and getting off MY BLOODY ROAD onto the grass so that I DON'T GET HELD UP while undertaking my enormously important against-the-clock leisure drive; don't these people realise that the fact I'm in a bigger and dangerous vehicle with several hundred times as much power means I HAVE PRIORITY even though they were there first and are actually going quite fast for a narrow country lane. I'm going to damned well complain about it on my own cycling forum (I'm a cyclist too you know) as I HAVE TO GET IN FRONT and I can't possibly wait a few minutes until the road's actually wide enough to get my inappropriately wide mode of transport past without turning into a seething snarling foul-mouthed potentially aggressive yob and so is my wife".

Jesus Christ.

Hmmm! Dear me. Where do I start? You seem to have somehow missed the following points made in my OP and subsequent posts. ...That I have actually....
a) Displayed a fair degree of self deprecation (recognising that it is bad to get wound up in circumstances like this and acknowledging my failure in this respect) . I fact, the very fact that I got myself wound up is the only actual criticism I could lay at my own door in this case. It was really the point of my post .. that crap cyclists can even wind me up, much to my own surprise. Everything else you accuse me of is all in your own vivid imagination. You weren't there.
b) Pointed out that I didn't actually overtake the crap cyclist or put him in any danger, but mildly turned away and went in a different direction.
c) Corrected the false impression I originally gave as to the distance between me and the crap cyclist (nobody wants to read an extra 3 paragraphs time-lining the incident with forensic accuracy). I had made a couple of aborted careful attempts to get past him.... which, if you think about it, actually requires you to get 0 feet behind the person you are overtaking, followed by minus 10 feet, minus 20 feet etc ..!
d) That I myself , when cycling down narrow lanes, do pull over for cars when safe to do so. And I would most definitely have done so in these exact circumstances. Because I am a reasonable person. Why on earth would you not? You give the impression that you would never do so.... Which says much about yourself. Both cyclist and driver were, on this occasion, out for leisure rides, so it should have been a pleasurable experience for both.

I could also have pointed out (given yet another paragraph) that I drive a small hybrid car. It did actually occur to me for a half mile or so that he was unaware of the presence of my small, silent vehicle - which was in electric mode because I was going so slow. Before anyone feels like cross-examining me on this point, No... he was not unaware, because he looked over his shoulder a couple of times. The road was straight, mostly pan flat, and perfectly safe for 30mph driving. I only saw one or two other cars, so repaying me for my patience and understanding on any one of half a dozen opportunities by letting me past would have been the right thing to do.

I could go on, but I'm actually feeling rather chilled and mellow right now, having long since vented all my annoyance . By the way, it is OK to complain about cyclists you know ... nothing about the fact that you are riding a bike makes you immune to criticism if you are crap at it.

As to you, ...."what a bizarre display" (to use your own words) of over-reaction and misdirected venting. Never let the facts get in the way of a good opinion, eh? Oh, and by the way, that liberal sprinkling of block capital words and phrases within ranting letters is one of the classic signs of psycopathic tendencies, Calm down, Sir, and keep taking the pills. Enjoy your cycling, and don't forget to be nice to other road users.Like I have already said, "Live and let live". Country lanes can be wonderful for everybody if we will all play nicely.
Donger.

Lemond

Was riding in France last week and really struggling up a long, grinding hill. A car sat behind me for an absolute age and could have easily passed me on numerous occasions. When I finally reached the top I looked over and gave an apologetic nod and the best "merci" I could muster. As he slowly and carefully passed me - really wide - he gave me a smile, a thumbs up and blew out his cheeks acknowledging my pain. I couldn't believe just how different the attitude was over there. Only came across one nobber the entire week who passed far too close and forced me onto the grass; everyone else passed slowly and really wide, often overly so. Incredible experience and made cycling on unfamiliar roads so stress free.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Was riding in France last week and really struggling up a long, grinding hill. A car sat behind me for an absolute age and could have easily passed me on numerous occasions. When I finally reached the top I looked over and gave an apologetic nod and the best "merci" I could muster. As he slowly and carefully passed me - really wide - he gave me a smile, a thumbs up and blew out his cheeks acknowledging my pain. I couldn't believe just how different the attitude was over there. Only came across one nobber the entire week who passed far too close and forced me onto the grass; everyone else passed slowly and really wide, often overly so. Incredible experience and made cycling on unfamiliar roads so stress free.
I've had loads of experiences like that here in the UK. Thumbs up from passengers in cars as I crawl up a hill, cars waiting for me at the top of a climb and grinning at me when I make it, even a tractor-driver cheered me on earlier this year.

Yeah, not bothered by it. Live and let live. Yet felt the need to start a thread about it.

Do you start threads on other forums about things you're really not that bothered about like people who chew loudly or people wearing striped ties with striped shirts?

My gut feeling is you were more annoyed than now you are trying to make out.

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Nice! That's the way to do it. I'm sure nobody would expect you to pull over on a steep hill. I too love cycling in France and would echo your observations about the drivers there. You really feel that the roads ar shared.

Top Bottom