You know who you are!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Even the self description isn't sounding patient so I wonder what the reality was. Grass and muck- filled farm entrances aren't passing places and 12ft is far too close for safety, which can't be excused by saying you're a cyclist yourself. As a motorist, I'm embarrassed by this description and think this is the sort of thing that gives us a bad name on forums like this!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I feel your pain @Donger. Got stuck behind a MAMIL the other day myself. I kept well back as he was slow then quicker then slow again. The person in front of me - for a good mile or so and there were a lot of safe passing places where he could have just tucked in and let me past him but he stayed resolutely to the centre of the road. He was the opposite to your stick thin chap though, he was erm, rounder. He was averaging about 8mph.

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Even the self description isn't sounding patient so I wonder what the reality was. Grass and muck- filled farm entrances aren't passing places and 12ft is far too close for safety, which can't be excused by saying you're a cyclist yourself. As a motorist, I'm embarrassed by this description and think this is the sort of thing that gives us a bad name on forums like this!
Thank you for the lecture.
"so I wonder what the reality was" ..... Really?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
On a serious note .... I'm quite happy to sit behind cyclists in my big white van and block the other drivers behind me from overtaking . When I'm driving I'm not earning money and I hate driving because ive done so much of it over the years . Other drivers messing about and not knowing what they are doing piss me off within seconds but a cyclist , I could sit behind one all day so that they had a clear road .
It seems to me that you had your drivers head on . Especially as you where just checking out a route with no timescale to work too ?

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
On a serious note .... I'm quite happy to sit behind cyclists in my big white van and block the other drivers behind me from overtaking . When I'm driving I'm not earning money and I hate driving because ive done so much of it over the years . Other drivers messing about and not knowing what they are doing piss me off within seconds but a cyclist , I could sit behind one all day so that they had a clear road .
It seems to me that you had your drivers head on . Especially as you where just checking out a route with no timescale to work too ?
As it's you, I'll maybe concede that you may have a point. It can happen to all of us.... But last week 3 of us pulled over in a farm entrance to let a car go by without a word of dissent. Sometimes it is just the right thing to do. You only have to have a modicum of decency to do it ... and the absence of a huge chip on your shoulder. I imagine the vast majority of adult leisure cyclists in this country are also car drivers. Live and let live.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Ever heard of Google Maps?

ayceejay

Guru
I have been in a similar situation to that cyclist and I thought I would keep going and demonstrate to the driver that I was making an effort to find a safe place for overtaking, after all we are sharing the road right? So what if this guy was doing the same but an appropriate place never materialized so he just kept going?

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I have been in a similar situation to that cyclist and I thought I would keep going and demonstrate to the driver that I was making an effort to find a safe place for overtaking, after all we are sharing the road right? So what if this guy was doing the same but an appropriate place never materialized so he just kept going?

Yeah, it could have been this, but there is a lack of human interaction in this situation. A small gesture from the cyclist to say thanks for staying back to the driver or even just a wave would have sorted it. I think it was a copper who told me that...

Top Bottom