Young British Pro Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I don't know if anyone else noticed but Andrew Fenn, who was third in the World U23s last year, took two races in a row in Majorca over the weekend in very impressive style.

With that as a starting point, I wanted to create a thread to keep an eye on the fortunes of the younger British cyclists in the pro-peloton this season...

We've already seen Adam Blythe showing in Qatar, and Luke Rowe wasn't too far down the field in the Trofeo Palma in Majorca either.

raindog

er.....
Fenn just got a nice write up in Velochrono
http://www.velochrono.fr/actu/2012/qui-est-andrew-fenn/

raindog

er.....
Endura Racing won the first stage of the Tour Med today with Jonathan Tiernan-Locke. I think that might be Endura's first win?

bettiniphoto_0098314_1_full_600.jpg

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Endura Racing won the first stage of the Tour Med today with Jonathan Tiernan-Locke. I think that might be Endura's first win?

You beat me to it. I think it is their first continental win. Given that he's now 27 (I think), JTL has suddenly emerged almost as if from nowhere (in European terms) over the last couple of seasons. He certainly seems to be improving markedly as a cyclist. Perhaps there is someone here who knows more about him (in terms of the domestic British scene before last season). All I know is that he used to be a mountain-biker in his teens.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Before the race started his French team mate Alex Blain said he's a great climber and could do well on the Mont Faron stage, but he obviously didn't bother waiting for that. Could do well for the overall then?
If you can read French, then Velochrono have again come up with the goods.
http://www.velochrono.fr/actu/2012/qui-est-jonathan-tiernan-locke/

I can, thanks! I should have checked there first. That series is excellent...

So JTL's natural talent and hard work is finally showing results after coming back from a period of illness and reconsidering his life... evne more impressive.

raindog

er.....
I had a feeling he'd take the overall today. That's a fine win for Tiernan-Locke and Endura. Well done!

"Jon Tiernan-Locke (Endura Racing) stormed up the Col de Garde in a solo effort on a weather-shortened closing stage to win the overall title in the Tour Méditerranéen.'

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Thought he was very good in the Tour of Britain last year. Was pleased to see he'd done well. Be interesting to see what races Endura go to this year as he could spring a few more surprises.

Yes, JTL was the first name that sprang to mind when I saw this thread title, remembering his ride in the ToB last year. His ride in the Tour of the Med this year was even more impressive. Clearly a talent worth watching. How long will it be before Sky snap him up?

d.

Top Bottom