Your best pop song ever, and why.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

Profpointy

Legendary Member
One recording I will never tire of is 'Feel Alright' by the Wailing Wailers. I like that tuning is a bit off, the bass is great, the performance and production is shonky and sounds great because of it (not despite it), the la-la-la-la backing vocals give me chills. Perfect.

View: https://youtu.be/J5dYvn7KBl0?si=HSzZCtqOtZK0Smil

Don't think I've heard this before, and I've got quite a lot of Marley records. Good one !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
How about some Europop? We had Barbie Girl above but there's a rich seam of catchy pop from our little Euro chums.

Off hand...
Ace of Base - I Saw the Sign
Nena - 99 Red Balloons/99 Luftballons
Plastique Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi

Edit: Blimey, @richardfm posted Plastique Bertrand while I was typing this. Synchronicity.

richardfm

Veteran
How about some Europop? We had Barbie Girl above but there's a rich seam of catchy pop from our little Euro chums.

Off hand...

Edit: Blimey, @richardfm posted Plastique Bertrand while I was typing this. Synchronicity.

I should have remembered 99 Red Balloons

View: https://youtu.be/Fpu5a0Bl8eY?si=dNJA6G_58LqbpGWc

AndyRM

XOXO
If we're on a Euro trip...

Eiffel 65 - Blue
Ylvis - What Does the Fox Say
Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400

I'm purposefully not linking these to preserve your sanity.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you look at it in purely statistical terms, the song that had had the most success, ever, on TOTP is surely THE best pop song ever.

Trouble is, most of them were never my kind of music anyway, let alone after umpteen weeks at No1, when they became the WORST pop songs ever (IMO of course)

Off hand...

two absolute crackers there, but how ON EARTH did that Ace of Base song ever sell so manys?? It's almost a dirge. Only slightly more fun than "All that She Wants"; at least that sounded like it meant to be downbeat. But I never understood its popularity ...

Sorry, that was negativity creeping into a happy thread. I should banish myself to the "Singers You Really Hate" thread ...

Top Bottom