Your best speed on descent ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've only been a roadie for a few weeks & I've managed to Garmin 39 mph on my boardman. It wasn't the steepest hill around really either. I'm looking to break 40 mph soon.

Any tips on speeding up on descents, I've tried pedaling & ducking my head on the bars so far.
I don't know I kept my eyes shut. Long time since I bothered with a speedo but there was one local quite gentle hill I could regularly hit 40mph+ without a lot of effort. look around for a decent drag and if the fancy takes you, you'll batter 40 easily.

don't be silly in the wet or damp, manhole covers are unforgiving beasts. ditto Colin's advice on potholes too, always good to recce a descent to pick out the bad bits of surface to smoothly ride rather than making last minute manoeuvres or battering your wheels and bits over. Or put on 6 stone and let gravity do its worst ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One of my old bikes used to develop a shimmy at speed, its no fun when it happens at 46mph going down the south descent of Holme Moss,
That's interesting - I did the Kirklees Sportive/Brian Robinson Challenge on 2 successive years with the same rider and he got a severe shimmy both times, 3/4 of the way down that descent! :eek:

I was doing 50 mph down there once when a gust of crosswind blew me across the road and almost off the RHS! I slowed down after that ...

ayceejay

Guru
There's a great scene in Boogie Nights when the (soon to be Dirk Diggler) and his future partner are shooting the hist about who can bench press the most, "How much can you bench, man?""You go first, man" "No, you go".
Me? I was streaming down a hill today but I was too afraid to look at my computer, my guess is that I was going waay faster than any figure so far posted.
In all seriousness my knuckles tend to turn white at a certain point and then I deploy the drag parachute.

classic33

Leg End Member
There's a great scene in Boogie Nights when the (soon to be Dirk Diggler) and his future partner are shooting the hist about who can bench press the most, "How much can you bench, man?""You go first, man" "No, you go".
Me? I was streaming down a hill today but I was too afraid to look at my computer, my guess is that I was going waay faster than any figure so far posted.
In all seriousness my knuckles tend to turn white at a certain point and then I deploy the drag parachute.
Passed a sports car that came a bit too close for my liking, before he let fly with his musical horn(remember them), and just drove off. Quick thought of should I ignore it or should I try to catch him. Chose the latter, dropped the gears(top gear of 229) and passed him on the downhill, with a quick wave as I passed. He caught up at the next set of light, calling me mad for passing him when he was doing 72mph. I didn't know how fast he was going. How was I supposed to know.
More lights have been put in place on this stretch of road, so its unlikely to be repeated.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I've only been a roadie for a few weeks & I've managed to Garmin 39 mph on my boardman. It wasn't the steepest hill around really either. I'm looking to break 40 mph soon.

Any tips on speeding up on descents, I've tried pedaling & ducking my head on the bars so far.

In my experience, once you get above ~40-45mph, you need a very steep and straight hill to go faster, and most hills in the UK are either one or the other, rather than both.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I have regularly hit 50+ going down this hill with no problem, it descends in a straight line for a good distance and at a pretty reasonable angle. Your speeds are really dictated by the time of day amount of traffic and your bravery/stupidity but 60 can be hit easily enough if your up to the job.
rps20130609_042305.jpg

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I have regularly hit 50+ going down this hill with no problem, it descends in a straight line for a good distance and at a pretty reasonable angle. Your speeds are really dictated by the time of day amount of traffic and your bravery/stupidity but 60 can be hit easily enough if your up to the job.
View attachment 24438

Rofl random fact my dad nearly died at the bottom of that very picture back in the late 80's. Mental Hill that one !

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Rofl random fact my dad nearly died at the bottom of that very picture back in the late 80's. Mental Hill that one !

Flew down there once at about 50mph at a time when I really should not have bee only to come across a road traffic accident and I had to mount the pavement by the station at about 40mph which I'm lucky was clear.. not my proudest moment, but probably the best bunny hop I have ever done in my life.... Had some real white nuckle rides down that hill. :becool:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Its a shocker of a hill that at the bottom is an estate agent's just back from that is Royal Mail sorting office me old man used to work in there. He went out one morning walking round past the estate agents literally 60 seconds later an arctic comes bowling down that said hill with brake failure and destroys the said estate agents !:ph34r:

Top Bottom