Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Nothing in the last day or so, but a couple of weeks ago I saw a buzzard close up three rides running (probably not the same one each time!)

Apart from that, mainly the garden birds on the feeders.

(Nice idea for a thread, by the way! :okay:)

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I had an owl flying a couple of feet above the ground in front of me for a few hundred yards the other week, was a great sight, times like that I wish I had a bike cam.

it is amazing sometimes on a bike, getting much closer to nature than you would normally. I'd love a camera just for wildlife round here, not too fussed about close passes etc by cars

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Edinburgh has got me until Thursday. That should make Flick of the Elbow wild knowing that I'm here with grossly impertinent intentions.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Sunday- 13 flamingos, 1 osprey, several black winged stilts, great white egret.(osprey not in this picture)

image.jpg

The other flamingos were off to the left.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I saw a wood pecker in Hanworth a few days ago . I had heard it on my morning ride but seeing it land in the open was very cool . I even stopped the bike to watch it :eek:

Normally see a kestrel or two, a buzzard here & there, but this week so far I have also seen a short eared owl & a kingfisher ^_^
Damn birds often slow my average speed down, yesterday when I saw the owl I was barely doing walking pace for about half a mile watching it :laugh:
Used to live just down the road from you. Catching one flying down the road one night in the car headlights exiting a corner was :eek:.
When flying at the height for hunting hedgerows it's high enough to pass over cars, but sadly not trucks :sad:

Mireystock

SIip-slidin' down Big Pig...
Nowt special yesterday late afternoon, just a squirrel ! I see fallow deer quite regularly and occasionally a boar or two, very occasionally a muntjac.

I see numerous barn owls every morning on my commute into work. Im in the car though, but am thinking about putting the camera in the car and taking a few minutes to snap some piccies. See loads of pheasants and kestrels every morning too.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Kingfishers, Egrets, Swans and Muscovy Ducks most days when I ride around Braunton Marshes.
Saw a Nightingale the other week over Loxhore way.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
How do you spot all this wildlife while you're bowling along on a bike?
That's an odd one, isn't it? I shouldn't be able to with the local traffic. I think that I have the gift or the curse of good peripheral vision and hearing. Either that or my senses are very easily distracted. And, as has been noted upthread, birds don't seem to panic when a bike comes along so they give you a fighting chance.

Top Bottom