Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
MTB ride with 2nd favourite daughter!
IMG_9475.jpeg

IMG_9469.jpeg

IMG_9465.jpeg

IMG_9479.jpeg

Landsurfer

Veteran
Wet and windy at Penistone….
When I first moved to South Yorkshire I pronounced the town above in 3 syllables .. to the hilarity of my pit village born and raised wife … Sunnyside, Silverwood Pit ..
Parked up at Dunford Bridge on the TPT and set off to the penis place … 6 miles downhill … huzzah …. Planned to stop at the bike shop with cafe just beside the trail for a bun … got there and realised my wallet was in the car …ate emergency banana …..
The few miles back where uphill .. well sort of ..railway line … but the wind was a 20mph headwind… and the rain started as soon as I left Pe Nis Tone …
Lovely ride, lovely weather, lovely South Yorkshire … ( I’m from Belfast ) ..
Gods Country … other gods are available, terms and conditions apply …
Dunford bridge is a great place to be dropped off … ride 30 miles downhill , with only one blip, all the way to the canal side pub at Sprotbrough, Doncaster … where the wife meets you for a drink and a meal, bike rack on the truck … and complains about how much you stink all the way home …. 😀

12.8 miles
IMG_0392.jpeg

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A memory popped up on Google photos today, which prompted me to get the Kingpin out for a shake down ride. I haven't ridden it since July last year, and seeing the sun is shining, the roads are dry ( finally) I bunged some air in the tyres and went for a pootle around the villages. It's a lovely afternoon. I'm reminded that @Rickshaw Phil has a Kingpin. Have you still got it Phil?

1711300315407.jpeg

IMG_4898.jpeg

IMG_4900.jpeg

IMG_4901.jpeg

IMG_4903.jpeg

This Lotus is about the same age as my bike.
IMG_4904.jpeg

This Zodiac is 1969/70 which is round about the same time I bought a Kingpin the first time.
IMG_4905.jpeg

Blue Plaque for Kenneth Graham.
IMG_4906.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A couple of rides to report on:

Friday - I just had a couple of hours free so my longer Acton Burnell fitted in nicely. It probably would have been a good outing for the Raleigh but I grabbed the knockabout bike as it was more convenient. I started off heading over Lyth Hill, enjoying the views in the sunshine, dropped down to Condover then joined the usual roads to Ryton and Longnor, which weren't as wet as I anticipated but still enough to muddy up the Hawk.

With a north westerly wind I didn't get the boost on the way to Acton Burnell that I've had on the last few rides. It did help along the straight at Cound Moor though before turning towards in for Harnage and Cound. Flag of the day was the St. George's Cross.

I headed up to the A458 (after deciding against the lane to Pitchford which would be into a headwind). The main road wasn't too busy but I still got off it at the first opportunity heading for Berrington. Reaching the village I took a left and down a lane I haven't used for a while - it's clearly had a hard winter with about four inches of sand deposited in the centre of the tarmac and deep, potholed ruts where the vehicles have been through. Lyons Lane was unusually busy which turned out to be people trying to avoid a long queue for the roundabout at Bayston Hill - the Easter getaway has started. Next weekend will probably be manic on the roads. I decided to retrace my steps over Lyth Hill so as to avoid the queues myself.

Good to get out again. A fraction over 26 miles at 12.6 mph average. Strava says 1333 feet of climbing.

20240322_141106.jpg

Crossing Lyth Hill in a nice bit of sunshine.

20240322_151214.jpg

20240322_151229.jpg

A couple from Cound.

Today - I did get the Raleigh out this time and aimed to do my longest ride for a while. It's cool and quite breezy out so my route was picked on the basis that I'd ride out into the wind and have it helping me on the way back. Not sure how well that really worked.

I started by crossing Lyth Hill again then at Hunger Hill took the lane for Exford's Green. That wind was quite noticeable to work against but I made reasonable progress all things considered. Through Plealey and on to Pontesbury it was all pleasant enough. I took a bit of a detour through quieter parts of Pontesbury before continuing to Minsterley and being glad at the end of the village to turn for Horsebridge and a quieter road. The road to Westbury was mixed - rushes of traffic followed by quiet spells. A group of riders were gathered by my turning in the village and presumably waiting for the rider who I passed near the church.

The againsterly wind still seemed quite annoyingly persistent on the way to Halfway House and knowing that I'd have a stretch directly into it I decided to change route, climb over the hill and drop into Crew Green from the Bulthy side. This gave some great views over the Severn flood plain and I could get up a good bit of speed too. At the bottom of the hill I finally picked a bit of wind assistance, which improved as I approached Melverley. I think I might have pushed on a bit too enthusiastically earlier in the ride as I found myself running low on energy and not really making the most of the assistance heading past The Royal Hill, through Pentre and on to Shrawardine. A pause here for a lunch stop helped and raising the saddle a little more seemed to improve the feel of the bike too.

After Montford Bridge there is a hill to climb over to reach Bicton. This is quite a drag but I got over it without the legs feeling too bad and kept a reasonable speed up on the long gentle climb to Shelton. I'd usually drop onto the cycle path here but getting along well this time decided to stick with the road, which was a lot quicker.

36.6 miles at 13.7 mph average. I'd have liked to be a bit quicker but I think that is a reasonable performance given the conditions and the fact I'm still building my fitness back up. Strava shows 1695 feet of climbing.

20240324_113014.jpg

The view to the Stretton Hills from Hunger Hill.

20240324_115519.jpg

At Pontesbury.

20240324_124714.jpg

On the descent from Bulthy.

20240324_125045.jpg

Reaching Crew Green, almost at the bottom of the hill.

20240324_131954.jpg

20240324_132128.jpg

A couple from Shrawardine.

20240324_134036.jpg

At Montford.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A memory popped up on Google photos today, which prompted me to get the Kingpin out for a shake down ride. I haven't ridden it since July last year, and seeing the sun is shining, the roads are dry ( finally) I bunged some air in the tyres and went for a pootle around the villages. It's a lovely afternoon. I'm reminded that @Rickshaw Phil has a Kingpin. Have you still got it Phil?

View attachment 725331

View attachment 725332

View attachment 725333

View attachment 725334

View attachment 725335
This Lotus is about the same age as my bike.
View attachment 725336
This Zodiac is 1969/70 which is round about the same time I bought a Kingpin the first time.
View attachment 725337
Blue Plaque for Kenneth Graham.
View attachment 725338

I do still have my Kingpin. Funnily enough I went and pumped its tyres up after putting away the Raleigh this afternoon. Didn't go out on it today but hopefully will do soon.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Some crackers as always :smile:

@EltonFrog - lol at your MTB escapades; sound like a familiar situation - go out hating the world and have a few positive experiences that make you dial back the vitriol somewhat. Fair play for sorting out the stranded driver.

I'm jealous of your access to MTB-fare - after the claggy hell that was my winter MTB experience I'm looking forward to a summer of dry ground; although I'm pretty limited for choice and distance in terms of what's on my doorstep... while I've never really been the type to put the bike in the car and drive to a ride.

Love the Kingpin and the pics say it all - what more do you need than a sunny day and a bicycle :smile:

Today marked the first in a while that's not been blighted by some form of mental health crisis. I woke and rose early to a lovely clear day and indulged in the familar bottle-bank / farm shop jaunt on the Brompton; it once more needing to prove itself after more puncture-related drama in the week. While sunny the journey was subject to a cold, stiff north-westerly; which made the return leg a bit of a chore.

After getting a bit done and needing provisions in the face of an encouraging forecast, I'd pencilled in a ride for later in the day, however by lunchtime I was tired and reluctant. Thankfully a few beers and some caffeine brought me round and I headed out for a leisurely utility trip on the Fuji. Wind was still present but net-worst on the way out, while it was mostly gloriously sunny. I didn't need owt from Aldi so left late and went straight to Waitrose.

Oddly at half-an-hour-to-closing I scored few reduced bargains, but did bag some decent promotional items that didn't require me to be subscribed to the thinly-veiled data-mining exercise that is loyalty cards (yes, Sainsbury's - that's why you've lost several hundred pounds a month of my custom).

Joined my maternal grandparents in the local cemetary (which is probably the best bit of the god-forsaken town) and consumed my surprisingly nice £1.25 southern fried chicken wrap in the lengthening shadows of the setting sun. Back home with little to report other than a pleasant, uneventful ride. I did pass the time on a particularly steep ascent by working out my power output at that time - coming to about 300W at 90% max HR (on paper, probably closer to 100% now I'm old) which was fairly satisfying..

So... today that's about 4.5 miles on the Brompton and 23 on the Fuji for a total of just shy of 90 miles for the week. Monthly sums are ticking up towards figures I've not seen for a long time (admittedly the current rides are more sedate) and I'm seeing benefits; certainly physically if perhaps less-so mentally (although who's to say where I'd be were it not for the escape provided by the bikes...).

Looking forward to an early night in preparation for tomorrow's commute; and the hope that the Brompton doesn't sh*t the bed again..

Last edited:
A recovery ride for me today. I had initially thought at trying to diagnose the problem with the TT bike and getting some practice. It was just as windy as yesterday though so I pumped up the tyres on the gravel bike. Thankfully it felt a lot warmer sheltered from that wind and after the clouds parted it was ideal.

I popped out to the cafe at Fineshade’s but as I had left it to warm up before heading out it was busy by the time so I popped to the Yarwell Mill Cafe instead.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/q01PT7-wvjk

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A workplace utility ride today.
I often take the Brompton to work in the car, or more accurately, to the venue where the organisation I work for keeps our vehicles. Today after a colleague and I did our work this morning, we went to the cafe in the mini bus, with the B, then after the cafe he drove the bus to the office and I rode the 3 miles. Guess who got there first.

I’ll tell you. We arrived at the same time, he was reversing into the rear car park as I ride into the one at the front. I would’ve been in the door first had I not gone round the back to meet him. ( I didn’t jump any lights either).

So dear reader, as you all are very well aware, a bike ride is often as quick and faster than a car.

My return trip was a little more sedate, leaving the office and going a different way back to the bus site along the Bath Road to Tilehurst.

No photos today, there’s nothing of note to capture on those routes.
A smidge over 7 miles.

IMG_4908.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I had an unexpected opportunity to get out this afternoon so jumped at the chance. I thought that my Oaks, Wilderley and Dudgeley route would work with the wind direction and had plenty of bailout options if the rain came in (it was supposed to have been raining all day).

I headed to the top of Lyth Hill to start with and dropped down the other side where, because the wind had changed to completely the opposite direction from yesterday, I picked up a decent bit of help on the way to Plealey. The lane to Oaks was much the same as usual apart from being quite muddy which made the steepest bit of the climb slippery. The lanes through Wilderley were pretty muddy too - probably the worst I've seen them through this winter, mainly caused by large farm vehicles churning up the verges from what I could see.

The descent from Smethcott to Leebotwood was busier than I'm used to - 6 motor vehicles and a cyclist.;) I'd usually only see a couple of vehicles at most along here. I ended up following a tractor towing a slurry tanker - fortunately it was faster than me and pulled off the road not too far along the lane to Dudgeley.

After crossing the A49 I picked up the tailwind I'd been hoping for but it didn't seem to sweep me along as well as I'd hoped -not sure if that was because the direction wasn't quite right or from the legs being tired after yesterday. I had a bit of a moment at one of the fords on the old Roman road when the back wheel slid sideways. Thankfully I was able to catch it alright - I haven't had that happen before at that ford.:ohmy:

Through Longnor and Ryton to Condover it was all much as it usually is. I decided to take the short route back and the wind did help with this bit, which was fun. The short stretch on the A49 was quite busy which wasn't fun. It didn't spoil the feeling of it being a good ride though.

Exactly 27 miles showing on my speedometer and 11.8 mph average. Strava says 1869 feet of climbing.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that as I got to the bottom car park at Lyth Hill a springer spaniel came rushing out of the field, up the track I was about to join and had a really good roll in a muddy puddle. Long suffering owner says: "It's not as muddy as the last one".:laugh:

20240325_134437.jpg

A more overcast view from Lyth Hill than yesterday.

20240325_141957.jpg

Looking towards Eastridge Woods from the top of the Broom Hill climb.

20240325_142215.jpg

The road goes up.

20240325_144303.jpg

View to the Wrekin as I cross the Dorrington to Picklescott road.

20240325_150558.jpg

Looking at Caer Caradoc as I cross the railway line after Dudgeley.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’m not quite on holidays yet but today looked the only dry one this week, so after some diary shuffling I headed out. I embarked eastward into a cool headwind through Wray and then the long climb up to Cross ‘o’ Greet at 398 masl. It’s not too bad but does have some steep ramps. Lots of birds on the way, lapwings displaying, curlew calling, meadow pipits, skylarks and a stonechat. I descended to Slaidburn and had to negotiate the road gang filling potholes. With the wind now at my back I made good progress to the centre of Britain or Dunsop Bridge as it is also known as. Unfortunately the cafe shuts on a Tuesday so the emergency protein bars and the flask of coffee became lunch. Next was the big pull up the Trough of Bowland which is quite steep from the east side. From that high point it was mainly downhill. 84 km with 1260 m of climbing.

Pictures looking across to Yorkshire’s three peaks, the descent to Bowland and the lovely Upper Hodder.

IMG_0476.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

IMG_0481.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another day where I hadn't expected to get out but there was a weather window so I went for it. It might not have been raining but there was a blustery south-westerly wind and it was on the cool side. I thought my route to Upton Magna would work and usually I'd ride it anti-clockwise with this wind direction but aimed to go the other way round this time so I could have a nose at what was causing all sorts of travel problems round the south of town.

The cause of the hold ups was obvious fairly early on with the aftermath of a crash partially blocking the way on the town bypass. Further on at Meole Brace an unexpected closure of the cycle path had me changing my route as I didn't fancy riding amongst the annoyed drivers trying to get round the queues, so it was a wind assisted run along Belle Vue Road. In town there was a further closure at Wyle Cop - this time for today's Royal visit. Camilla is attending the farmers market in The Square. I was turning off to ride through The Quarry so wasn't affected by this.

Having passed through the park I got to the end of Victoria Quay and was about to join the cycle path when the traffic light changed to green and I thought I might stay on the road instead. It was a bit of a shock therefore when just as I got to the give way line, traffic started flowing at speed from my left and right as their lights had gone green too.:eek: I could quite easily have just ridden out and straight under the wheels of a bus there.:blink: I did use the cycleway after all but it doesn't go the full length of Smithfield Road so I did have to rejoin and get stuck in traffic.

Going past the old prison got me off the busy roads. I joined Sydney Avenue then headed to Heathgates Island and followed the route out of town that I most often ride with @gavgav (it avoids the muddy bit of the old canal path). At Uffington I had to start riding into the wind so everything slowed down for a bit. It was a cross wind to Upton Magna then a headwind again to Berwick Wharf and particularly to Atcham. This bit of road is slightly downhill and on a calm day it's fairly easy to get into the low 20s mph. Today I managed 14mph flat out.

Somehow it didn't seem quite as bad to Cross Houses. After Berrington I decided to head back via Weeping Cross. The road to get there was with a tailwind and the general trend is slightly downhill which made this the best riding of this trip. The earlier traffic problems had been cleared so I didn't have to mix with rat-running traffic as I thought I might. In the last mile I was facing a bank of dark cloud. Fortunately the rain held off until about 15 minutes after I got back. Unfortunately a migraine started to develop in the last half mile. Could have done without that.

21.1 miles at 12.1 mph average. 725 feet of climbing.

20240327_123415.jpg

Not a good day to be on the roads in Shrewsbury.

20240327_124833.jpg

The old brewery at Coleham.

20240327_130241.jpg
The hole that the council vehicle fell into a few days ago is still a work in progress.

20240327_130335.jpg
White water at the weir.

20240327_133352.jpg
Upton Magna.

20240327_133609.jpg
Also at Upton Magna: The Haughmond (up for sale at the moment if anyone fancies a ready-to-go business).

20240327_135155.jpg

Cronkhill, near Cross Houses.

Top Bottom