Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got my good bike out for the group ride. I kinda wanted to see power data but although GC says the battery was good on 22/2/24 (when I last used it on the turbore trainer) it was dead, hopefully it’s just the battery
:frowning:

Completely overdressed. After yesterday’s cold wind and showers and with the forcast of cold first thing and greying over. I dressed similarly but swapped the Gabba and warmers for a jersey . It wasn’t as cold as predicted and it never clouded over either.

Screenshot_20240330-174433_Strava

20240330_103321

20240330_103333

20240330_121612

Landsurfer

Veteran
Apologies in advance fellow Brothers and Sisters of the Wheel …

Today was a strange one … I drive to ride … This mornings ride was planned and I drove to the appointed car park on the sea front at Penzance…
Then something happened … I decided to take a walk … !?!?!?
I only walk to the car , the motorcycle or the bicycle …
I put on my trainers instead of my cycling shoes… and set off … Brisk pace ….Military Marching Yomping pace … it’s the only one I know ..
2.6 miles later I was back at the Truck …. Sweating, tingling, aching …..
This walking thing is hard …. Possibly because my muscle groups are out of practice …
Since the Cretaceous Period …
I enjoyed it …
?
I’m taking the Garmin mileage ..l not the published Google Maps distance.. 😃

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 10.56.25.png
E

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
On impulse I took the train to Exeter this morning, buying a return so I could ride down to Dawlish or Exmouth and then train back to Taunton.

The number of people at the station gave me a clue about how busy the seaside would be, that decided it for me. I'd cycle the 40 odd miles home.

I took a photo for my ABC of pubs, had a bite to eat and headed north east out of Exeter. A few miles of cyclepaths, dog walkers and cheery greetings and then a narrow cyclepath alongside a busy road had me in Broadclyst where Iturned off.

Leaving the noise behind I headed through Devon to Talaton and beyond. I saw a man 200m ahead trying to control a spooked horse. I stopped well back only to be sworn at by him. I then noticed another horse running around in the adjacent field. I quickly passed the chaos and did a very quick mile to get away.

20240330_125548.jpg

Next I used my lowest gear to get up onto the Blackdown Hills. That's the gear that will lift the front wheel off the ground.

Past Smeatharpe airfield, down Blagdon Hill and home.

40 odd miles, 982 potholes.

Windle

Über Member
After yesterdays drenching the weather looked a load better for today so I managed a longer ride. I parked in West Auckland and headed along the bike path past the very busy Tindale Crescent retail park and up and over the bypass to Shildon, then past Locomotion (similar to the route I did in mid December) but then continued alongside the railway line to Newton Aycliffe where I had a general mooch around the cycle paths and up past Greenfields school and along some muddy paths almost to Middridge before returning using mostly the same route. A total of just over 22 miles and 800 feet of climbing bagged. The weather was glorious for a change, finally spring appears to be here.
I'd gone out in one base layer and a long sleeved jersey but the base layer was removed early on near the bypass underpass.

GOPR0878.JPG
Just going into Shildon near the roundabout with a railway signal reminder of the areas past (not easily visible in this photo unfortunately), there's a small brewery in the building to the left.
GOPR0879.JPG
Not sure what this wall is not far from Aycliffe station, it looks like something railway-ish, being similar to the road bridge over the railway on the School Aycliffe road just along from here.
GOPR0881.JPG
Footbridge over the line heading towards the Oak Leaf sports centre.
GOPR0882.JPG
One of the many underpasses in Newton Aycliffe, under Greenfields road, typical of many a new-town.
GOPR0883.JPG
Pie stop beside the bypass on the way back, the roads were quietening down by now (half past three-ish) and when there was no passing traffic the air was filled with Skylark song over the fields opposite.
GOPR0886.JPG
Back to Tindale Crescent and passing the new bit of the retail park. The only thing that's open for now is another fast food outlet complete with obligatory drive through. When it was announced in the local paper that it was opening the cynic in me thought 'oh good, a different brand of litter will be strewn about the place now'. Sure enough, welcome to Tindale, Popeye's Louisiana Chicken :headshake:.
GOPR0888.JPG
The new cinema is at this end.
GOPR0887.JPG

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Awoke to a beautiful sunny morning; the Brompton's ongoing tyre crisis 2024 being a sufficient excuse to give it a test run to the bottle bank and farm shop. Had a nice chat with the farm owner and scored a couple of boxes of the precious.

Back home for a fat fry up and a bit of inconsequential mincing, then out on the Fuji for a shopping run. Determined to take it steady as my hamstrings are ruined, I was aided by a convincing tailwind on the way out making the sun-drenched ride feel almost effortless..

Had an ungentlemanly verbal exchange with an angry smallman in the Aldi car park as I was locking my bike up; stemming from his inability to signal and my lack of brain-to-mouth filter. Despite his repeated going-into-the-shop-then-coming-out-again-to-solicit-fisticuffs I held my ground without getting my face caved in, which I guess is a win.

Cheese hastily bought so that I was out before captain angry to avoid the opportunity for him to tamper with my bike, I was on my way. Waitrose was more civilised, however barren of sprouts and broccoli in the face of the bank holiday hoards. Did score a reduced pastrami and emmental sarnie, and some time later found myself consuming it during an accidental trip to the local reservoir.

IMG_20240330_164950.jpg

Moseyed home after that, with a few nice interactions with decent folk that helped attentuate the effects of the earlier conflict. Got back just before lights would have been necessary and stopped at the co-op for the now-daily beer..

IMG_20240330_181257_1.jpg

Today's 7-ish Brompton miles and 25 on the Fuji brings me to another week of pushing 90 miles; a short jaunt tomorrow would better both previous weeks' efforts so I might go out for a little local tickle, although I have plenty of other stuff to do and my legs could probably do with a day off. On top of that I'm on 345 miles for the month which is the most I've done since last September's 378 :smile:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Only 13 miles :sad:
headed off for a club ride and didnt feel like i had much oomph and by the time i got to the meet up i was getting stomach cramps , tried maybe half a mile before i got to the 1st slight incline and i couldnt hold the wheel of riders i have to wait for so i called it a day and glass cranked home.
I have been taking co codamol all week for really bad wrist /thumb pain so im wondering if that is what made it worse .

Landsurfer

Veteran
Marizion causeway to Mousehole and back …. Few adjustments to the new seat and seat pin along the way …. Head wind back but not nearly as bad as the other day …. Bikes fine after it’s meeting with the height barrier in Falmouth yesterday … nice ride ….. however.
While riding back to Marizion Station I noticed a lady coming out of the sea after her morning swim (?) …. Early 60’s, built for comfort not for speed .. naked …… lots and lots of lovely lady lumps ……she walked to her clothes and put on of those large robes so popular with outdoor swimmers .. Welcome to Cornwall …😃

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 10.52.41.png

Fisherman’s memorial Newlyn.
20240330_082738.jpeg

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I faffed and fecked about all morning, apart from taking the dogs out for a walk, struggled to get motivated for a decent ride, possibly because a lot of the coffee stops are closed and the weather is windy and cold, I hate riding in the wind.
In the end I MTFU got into gear figuratively and literally, got the road bike out, and went for a cobweb blaster, round the village to warm the legs up, up Hagbourne Hill, down the other side through the Hagbournes and to Blewbury. I seemed to be into a headwind no matter which way I turned until Blewbury, then a bit of shelter in the village, when an impatient nob head was on my tail, I kept to the primary, and made him wait for about 300 yards, at the T junction I made no rush of turning right.
Once I turned the car was stuck behind me for a bit longer, eventually speeding off once the road was clear.
My last mile, finally had a bit of tailwind, heading back to the village. An ok ride of under 10 miles, I’m pleased I got out. I’m getting fed up with this shoot weather.
No photos today, I forgot my mobile device.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
S wanted to revive her RRtY series, and suggested a 200k yesterday. So I said I'd come along for company. At 8am it was cold, but sunshine threatened. S isn't fast so we were going to be on the road for several hours. The route was mostly uninspiring A-roads until Bridgwater*, where, after a brief coffee and food stop, we launched into the Levels. There were a few busy roads around Street, then back into lanes and the sneaky way into Wells. Following the circular track through the city, we managed to miss the cafe, and found ourselves heading into countryside again. A brief conflab and we decided to press on. There was lots of water in the fields, especially around Godney. Another food stop at Street. We joined the A361 for the slightly tedious journey back towards Taunton. Before Wellington we stopped for a beer/cider. It was time for lights and warmer clothing. The final leg was watery lanes around the Blackdowns. We decided against a final, celebratory drink as it was late. Not the most scenic route, but job done.
IMG_20240330_150910240_HDR.jpg

*"You know you're from Somerset when you know the reason you don't go to Bridgwater".

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Just the 22 miles today. Thought I'd just top up the month's total to 266 miles just in case the weather turns bad next month. Pootled out to Frampton and sat watching the bridgeman winch the canal bridge open for a passing narrow boat on the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal.
DSCF1805.JPG

On the way back home I stopped off at Framilode. This is where the Stroudwater canal comes to a very overgrown, reedy end just short of where it used to connect to the River Severn. It won't look like this for much longer, as apparently London needs more water, and work is already well under way in several places to restore the Stroudwater Canal to allow Severn water to be diverted to London.

DSCF1806.JPG

DSCF1807.JPG

Got back in time to see the end of the Ronde van Vlaanderen on the telly. A good day.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Happy Easter! The sun was out again today so headed toward the Dales. It was soon apparent I’d neglected to check the forecast properly and was fighting a cold easterly most of the outrun. Headed up to Ingleton and then the steep 20% of Oddies Lane before the wonderful road under Twistleton Scar to Chapel-Le-Dale. Quite exposed up there to the wind I decided to head back past the caves to Ingleton rather than carry on toNewby Head. The old road took me to Clapham and the Sawmill cafe after which I swung round homeward with a tail wind. Few buzzards out surfing the wind, a kestrel struggling to maintain station and various meadow pipits and skylarks. 85 km with 894 m of climbing.

pictures of Ingleborough and bike resting on the limestone.

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0491.jpeg

Top Bottom