£££££s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Do you have someone to show you how to change a tube? Sometimes someone can impart some useful tips. If not, there are various online video tutorials like Bicycle Tutor.

With lots of jobs on the bike, it's all about practice and finding the little things that make it easier. Practising at home is a very good idea.

Youtube is always a safe bet. No pun intended. :wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Specialized tyres are usually pretty good. Are you cycling on cycle paths? If so avoid, as glass, thorns, nails and other crap are very rarely cleaned from them. Also stay out of gutters as that's where all the crap from the road gets pushed into.

Garz

Squat Member
Kestevan said:
I think you've just been unlucky to be honest. The std tyres that come with most bikes are usually OK.... not brilliant, but OK, and as long as you keep the pressure up and avoid riding over broken glass you should be OK.

Agree with kev here.

I managed over 1700 miles on my stock tyres before the rear wheel got one. Another shortly followed so off came the tyres and replaced with what I term 'winter' tyres (schwalbe blizzard sport) which after a couple of rides are far more grippier in the wet.

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Thanks again for the advice - nice to know that the basic questions can be asked without fear. It'll be YouTube or similar for me, although the bike shop near work offered some pointers. Even with my disastrous track record of anything technical, I'm hoping that I can't do too much damage and can fall back on the 30 day service owed on the new bike to check my handy work. My only issue is that there's so much advice on the Internet to choose from, many giving different approaches (tyre partially off, fully off.....). So a weekend of fixing, rather than riding, beckons but am sure it'll be time well spent in the long term.

Re cycle paths, I'm riding on roads only, although there's a short stretch on a cycle/bus lane. Generally, I'm really enjoying the road bike, and have my old mountain bike to fall back on when the weather gets really grim.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Willo, I fixed my first p@@@@@@@ on Sunday. Google Park Tool, and go to their technical section, then click on the wheel to find out how to do it. It really works, unlike some other websites I consulted.

Good luck.

I also spent this last weekend fixing my first flat in years (since I was at school!). I found the tutorial video on bicycle tutor to be very helpful as I could see what was happening rather than just reading some instructions.

I was actually getting on really well and thought that it was not going to be a problem until it came to re inflating once everything was back together, I then found that the tyre was not seating properly and I was getting a flat spot on the tyre.

I then had a quick search on this site for some advice and found that several people recommended putting talc on the tube and rim when refitting which seemed to sort the problem for me, hopefully you won't have this problem but it may save you a bit of time searching if you do.

Arch

Married to Night Train
oh, oh! When you put the tube back in, inflate it a touch, and make sure it sits properly inside the tyre, and be careful when you put the tyre back on that you don't trap the tube, and that the tyre seats down properly. Trapping the tube in the tyre leads to pinch punctures, and not seating the tyre properly can lead to it giving way with a very loud bang, sometime later. (Hours, possibly, and it scares the life out of you if you happen to be in the same room!)

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Just a quick thank-you; with the help of all your tips I managed a surprisingly tantrum-free change of tube with no major problems. A routine task I know:blush:, but a confidence boost for when it happens beyond walking distance from home. Not yet the 2 minute job shown on the YouTube videos, but for my first attempt it went pretty smoothly and the tyre is still inflated several hours later. Got in a bit of a muddle getting the wheel back on and not totally happy with the gear shifting as it's not as smooth as previously, but due to get a check up in the bike shop anyway so will ask them to have a look.

Am still tempted for a change to more robust tyres with a little more grip through the winter so will start to look at the options.

Thanks again.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well done!

Even the 'simple' jobs can be more complicated than you expect. Many of my friends can change a tube in moments, yes, but even after 10 years of being into cycling, I sometimes get into a muddle. I suppose the more punctures you have, the more practised you get and I've been relatively lucky.... (there, that's jinxed me!)

I always find getting the back wheel back in again tricky. I'm sure there's a knack I just haven't learned yet.

Top Bottom