£10,000 bike collection accidentally thrown away by council workmen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Clearly the bike owners hadn't been anywhere near the garage for the 28 days the notice was displayed, in fact the article doesn't mention when they found the bikes were gone so potentially it was quite a while since they had last been to the site.
[...]
Like everybody else I will be interested to hear the outcome but I'm not sure I can trust the Daily Mail to report it accurately.
So read it on the Spalding Today site.

And there's quite a chance that a notice posted on a door could blow away out in Gedney Dyke. Take a look. Windswept doesn't do it justice. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x47d7fc72fc117ddb:0x9d547336210bdaa6

mjr

Crikey the garages have blown away.
The notice would have been in a waterproof protective sleeve and securely pinned to the building. After 28 days it would be checked that it was still there.
Same as planning application notices which routinely vanish or get posted in the wrong streets?

And yes, I didn't spot the garages either.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
When it comes to legal process any direct communication is by post. If the bike owners didn't give the council their 'new' address (they moved about 40 miles away out of the district 3 years ago) the address the council would have would be the one on the original application form.
The service of a notice is always a last resort and it is standard practice to attach certain types of notices to the premises they relate to. If the garage was in use the notice would have been found.

Drago

Legendary Member
The garage was in use. It just happened not to have been visited while the notice was present.

Whether they could contact a tenant is an irrelevance. The presence or otherwise attached to then premises is an irrelevance. Rent is clearly still being paid on it, something the Carncil apparently never bothered to check, so they've no moral or legal rght to repossess it and dispose of the contents. The Tenant and Landlord Act makes that pretty clear.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
When it comes to legal process any direct communication is by post. If the bike owners didn't give the council their 'new' address (they moved about 40 miles away out of the district 3 years ago) the address the council would have would be the one on the original application form.
The service of a notice is always a last resort and it is standard practice to attach certain types of notices to the premises they relate to. If the garage was in use the notice would have been found.

Fair point. This story smells of the same sort of criticism which occurs when a "Computer" sends an Invoice or other communication to a two year old, whose details are on the Electoral Register, because their parent failed to complete the form correctly. If you move house, and do not inform all relevant parties, then who's fault is that? I am as ready to bash the Local Council as anyone, but, to be fair, they cannot be expected to be clairvoyant!

mjr

Fair point. This story smells of the same sort of criticism which occurs when a "Computer" sends an Invoice or other communication to a two year old, whose details are on the Electoral Register, because their parent failed to complete the form correctly. If you move house, and do not inform all relevant parties, then who's fault is that? I am as ready to bash the Local Council as anyone, but, to be fair, they cannot be expected to be clairvoyant!
There's no mention that they'd been paying council tax to South Holland Council since moving out of the district, so I'd bet they'd told them. No clairvoyance needed!

No they wouldn't. They had moved to a different authority.
The record of address for the garage tenancy would be what was on the application form. It is the tenants responsibility to notify the council of any changes. The tenant has signed a contract agree in this.
Putting resources into tracking down every garage tenant who disappears is a complete waste of council tax payers money and it isn't the councils responsibility to do this.

classic33

Leg End Member
Does anyone on here know if they didn't inform the people they were renting the garage from, of a change of address?

Top Bottom