£10,000 bike collection accidentally thrown away by council workmen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No they wouldn't. They had moved to a different authority.
The record of address for the garage tenancy would be what was on the application form. It is the tenants responsibility to notify the council of any changes. The tenant has signed a contract agree in this.
And they will have given South Holland Council their new address in the other district for final settlement/statement of their council tax account on the Gedney Dyke address. Have you not moved house recently?

It's not the resident's responsibility to notify every department of the council individually of their change of address. This shoot should be linked so telling one organisation once is sufficient.

The garage tenancy is a separate contract with its own terms and conditions. Responsibility lies with the tenant.
Councils are easy targets to sound off about. Everyone has their own ideas about how councils should carry out their business without knowing anything of the legislative and financial constraints they have to work within.
At the end of the day it appears that lawyers will put this to bed.
I know where I would place my bets.

Last edited:
The council have been told of their new address. They can update all their records from that. It is not the 17th century with updates done by a three legged pig.
Not every council tax payer rents a garage. If you want to pay more council tax to make changes to the IT systems that's fine. Just don't expect pot holes to be filled in as well.
What people really should be jumping up and down about as far as this case is concerned is the costs to the council tax payer of the investigation.

classic33

Leg End Member
If proper proceedures were followed, there'd be no need for an investigation or lawers.

Council departments don't speak to each other as much as they should. Things go wrong, another department gets involved to see why the various departments failed to communicate with each other.

It's almost an internal battle to see who can collect, and not let anyone else know, the most information.

They were accepting payment, it appears, for a garage. Another department went in and cleared it out. Why didn't each department speak to each other. Especially when they found items in the rented property?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not every council tax payer rents a garage. If you want to pay more council tax to make changes to the IT systems that's fine. Just don't expect pot holes to be filled in as well.
What people really should be jumping up and down about as far as this case is concerned is the costs to the council tax payer of the investigation.

Doesnt need new IT, just needs them to sort out their processes first. If council departments are not talking to each other then they damn well need to. This lack of basic (and it is basic) joined up processes you describe is creating waste and not just for the ones which hit the papers.

You would think that the company hired by the council would be responsible enough to query the clearance if they found the cycles in the garage. If not it would also make one question what they would do with the contents if they found hazardous waste .

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I wonder if the contractors take photos, or better video, when they open garages. It would protect against fraudulent claims.
Good point

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You would think that the company hired by the council would be responsible enough to query the clearance if they found the cycles in the garage. If not it would also make one question what they would do with the contents if they found hazardous waste .
You mean like they're responsible enough to query the order if they're asked to put a black or dark grey signpost/streetlamp in the middle of a cycle lane/track? :rofl: I look forward to your first visit to England! ;)

You mean like they're responsible enough to query the order if they're asked to put a black or dark grey signpost/streetlamp in the middle of a cycle lane/track? :rofl: I look forward to your first visit to England! ;)
A few years ago a new school was built on the outskirts of my town. Just before work was started somebody asked them what they were going to do with the bombs.
" What bombs?" Was the reply.
" The ones that landed there during the war!"
It was a good job that they listened, the bomb disposal team found 3 . People were evacuated from the surrounding area and TV crews filmed the operation.
The largest bomb was exploded with a large audience gathered a safe distance away . You could feel the shock wave hit as we watched followed by a large plume of earth thrown up into the air.

Top Bottom