£1000 c2w voucher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

festival

Über Member
Even the phrase, " You simply want the best bike for your money " can mean different things to different people and to be frank, unless you have ridden the cube, bianchi, giant, boardman etc for some time it would be difficult to interpret the ride quality, handling etc etc.
I have ridden all of them, and briefly, I like the look of the cube, but the frame is race oriented, the bianchi is a work of art but the wheels and other kit let it down, the boardman is the" best value for money" the ride is a bit harsh, while the defy looks a bit plain next to the others it gives the best ride by far.
You can get the giant via halfords now as well as the boardman, not sure about the others.

defy-one

Your right the Defy 1 does look bland next to a cube or Bianchi.

How do i "pimp my ride"?

Sent from my GT-I9100

OP
OP
J

Johnym

Thanks for all the replies. I already have the Cube Peloton already but have had a lot off issues with it so was offered replacement.

Think I'm going to persevere as I love the bike when it works. Was very tempted by the Giant tho.

400bhp

Guru
I've had a Halfords C2W voucher in the past. I'd stick with a Boardman - you might get messed around if you start ordering other bikes with Halfords. The Boardman bikes are very very good. The road team bike is very nice. The road team carbon is on offer for £999 too - no brainwer IMO.

I would also check if they would accept the 10% off voucher with British cycling-that way you can get a £1111 worth of stuff for your £1k coucher

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've had a Halfords C2W voucher in the past. I'd stick with a Boardman - you might get messed around if you start ordering other bikes with Halfords. The Boardman bikes are very very good. The road team bike is very nice. The road team carbon is on offer for £999 too - no brainwer IMO.

I would also check if they would accept the 10% off voucher with British cycling-that way you can get a £1111 worth of stuff for your £1k coucher
You don't order another brand through Halfords, they give you a pick list of authorised dealers for the bike you choose. You then order the bike through the dealer and pay them the voucher which they redeem from Halfords.

I wanted a Cube but Leisurelakes was the nearest retailer. I persuaded my LBS to join the scheme as a Cube retailer for the C2W, and ordered the bike through them. No Halfords input at all, and no "being messed about"

400bhp

Guru
You don't order another brand through Halfords, they give you a pick list of authorised dealers for the bike you choose. You then order the bike through the dealer and pay them the voucher which they redeem from Halfords.

I wanted a Cube but Leisurelakes was the nearest retailer. I persuaded my LBS to join the scheme as a Cube retailer for the C2W, and ordered the bike through them. No Halfords input at all, and no "being messed about"

No, it depends on the employers arrangement with Halfords. My previous employer was one of the big 4. Halfords had a list of manufacturers and models you could choose from.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The scheme has been altered. You still get a list of brands that Halfords sell, plus a list of approved brands they will source for you. BUT ON TOP OF THAT you can ring their help desk, tell them what you want and they will tell you whether they can put you in contact with an approved retailer.

400bhp

Guru
The scheme has been altered. You still get a list of brands that Halfords sell, plus a list of approved brands they will source for you. BUT ON TOP OF THAT you can ring their help desk, tell them what you want and they will tell you whether they can put you in contact with an approved retailer.

No, I the scheme hasn't been altered. It depends upon your employer. My previous employer had a separate arrangement with Halfords outside their off the shelf C2W scheme. Without knowing Halfords internal workings and not knowing who the OP works for we can't say one way or the other what the specifics of his scheme are.

I had lengthy conversations with the head of the C2W buyer at my previous employer over the scheme and I have a friend there who has recently purchased another bike on the scheme.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I was quoting my experiences. Yours differ . So in what way will Halfords mess anyone about? They couldn't have been more obliging when I went through the process in the autumn.

400bhp

Guru
It wasn't clear you were talking about your specific experience, but fine.

In terms of being messed around - I was given the run around by Halfords when I tried to order a non standard bike from them - they claimed to have a catalogue but would not share it. I simply had to name a bike and they would see if they could source it and at what price. I recall asking about a few bikes and got told they couldn't get them/were out of stock/last seasons (insert excuse).

The whole process was laborious and long winded - I gave up in the end and stuck to the Boarman.

lejogger

Guru
A chap I work with just managed to get the 2011 Boardman Team Carbon on sale for £999. That's £300 off so a fantastic deal when you consider how good value that bike is anyway.

Pick up a copy of cycling weekly. This week there's a test of 12 £1k bikes. The Boardman Team comes out on top, but you might see a couple of others you fancy that Halfords may be able to get hold of through the special order service.

Also depends on whether you want to carry panniers on your commute. The Boardman CX is very popular.

Top Bottom