£1000 road bike budget(used)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

Looking for a nice summer only road bike.
As some of you may know I have a Boardman ADV 8.8 fitted with road tyres at present,although it’s not a pure road bike it is my first drop bar bike and I have enjoyed using it.

I have made a post about Giant TCR advance previously, as I’ve always fancied one, however some replies suggest I should maybe look to something a little less aggressive and slightly more comfortable, like the Defy?

I should also add I do not race etc, it’s purely for fitness/hobby cycling.

I would like disc brakes,preferably hydraulic although I am open to rim brakes for the right bike,and a minimum shimano 105 groupset, I would be buying 2nd hand also.

Would appreciate any suggestions/ebay/gumtree links etc of alternate options to consider within my budget.

Thanks.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
With a £1500K budget I'd have thought you could buy a small manufacturer :okay:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Go to your local recycle/bike charity and see what they have, grab the parts, build your own bike - it will be cheap and feel really special. I did that a few weeks back, incidentally it was a TCR :okay:

Since you already have the Boardman - maybe just buy a better quality frame and swap over the components and then slowly upgrade each one if you feel you want more.

P.S. You didn't mention the frame size ;)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Essentially you'll need to trawl the selling sites for your spec and budget (up to say £1750 to allow some haggle space)

Look at the likes of Ribble, Planet X, Dolan as they'll be cheaper than the big brands. There are loads of others too. Buying locally will allow you to try and give a good check over (especially if looking at carbon frames).

I wouldn't exclude anything but you will pay a premium for Specialized, Trek, Giant.

Adding your location would help as there are some well established FB regional market places etc

vickster

Legendary Member
Given the values, always ask the seller to provide proof of purchase/ownership.

They're all over the country, are you prepared to travel to collect?

4th one looks expensive given rim brakes and at least 5 years old model wise

I'd say £1500 was a huge budget for a casual road bike but then I don't know exactly what you are trying to achieve and what you are aiming for. I personally wouldn't go any higher than Shimano 105 because its the sweet spot for performance and value. As for frames and forks I'd be probably looking at something from Giant or Merida who are actual manufacturers i.e. make their own frames and forks and sometimes a few other components too. They deliver the most bang for the buck. However I would also focus on secondhand to maximise my value. I think I'd struggle to spend £1500 I suspect £600 would easily get me what I wanted. However that said I personally don't actually need a performance road bike with a huge amount of inbetween gears for optimal power delivery. I'm more than happy with Claris to be honest, it can have the same overall gear range and stronger chains and cassettes even if the gear changes are a bit more clunky and less optimal for cadence.

Personally I'd rather have a better frame and forks with 105 than Ultegra or Dura Ace with an inferior frame and forks. They might end up at similar weights overall but 105 will be a lot cheaper to replace parts and probably last a bit longer too.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
As @vickster mentions, try Planet X. You can get a brand new Pro Carbon or Holdsworth Corsa (looks great in orange) with SRAM Force and discs for £1500.

Attachments

• CB0BB930-752A-4C9A-B6A4-C274262F127F.jpeg
    CB0BB930-752A-4C9A-B6A4-C274262F127F.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 14
  • E6E3FDC9-74A2-4395-BB5A-D4F0E276DBCE.jpeg
    E6E3FDC9-74A2-4395-BB5A-D4F0E276DBCE.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 8080120C-2A58-40C9-B842-FB5825DC86E3.jpeg
    8080120C-2A58-40C9-B842-FB5825DC86E3.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 14

vickster

Legendary Member
For £600 it would likely be alu/carbon fork rather than carbon frame (are you only looking for the latter and you need to know what size you want :smile:)

Top Bottom