£1000 road bike budget(used)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nemesis_252

Über Member
I was in a similar predicament last year, with a similar budget. With umming and ahing, I missed out on a 2nd hand Cube Attain GTC SL, and then regretted it for months. I was lucky and did end up with one after finding an ex-display bargain, but looking on ebay just now, there's a few 2021 models around your pricemark and match your desired spec (of course sizes and locations might both be unsuitable), but the bike is awesome, and worth further research and consideration. Good luck.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I was in a similar predicament last year, with a similar budget. With umming and ahing, I missed out on a 2nd hand Cube Attain GTC SL, and then regretted it for months. I was lucky and did end up with one after finding an ex-display bargain, but looking on ebay just now, there's a few 2021 models around your pricemark and match your desired spec (of course sizes and locations might both be unsuitable), but the bike is awesome, and worth further research and consideration. Good luck.
Thoughts on this model? Nearly 10kg though an Alu frame

I'd not get hung up on weight. Bikes are often not quite what they're meant to be and aero is more important than weight.

Could you expand on what you’d buy for that, some examples?

I‘d be most appreciative

Also seen this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-De...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
To be honest if I fancy a new or new to me bike I hang around for a few weeks looking on ebay, facebook marketplace or gumtree to see what is available within about 30 miles. I would just wait for the right deal. I don't really do brands I just go by spec and size of course. I play a bit of a waiting game and then normally some amazing deal will come up but you must check not stolen of course although typically no question of that if you are going to their home and they know the full history of the bike. Just need to be aware. I'm no fan of Campagnola and I think would actually prefer a open mould CF frame and forks which tend to be the strongest type of CF frame albeit with a bit of extra weight to them. I'm not one to need the latest bike in fact feel much more comfortable using something that someone else has finished with for economic and environmental reasons. So I'd be surprised if I couldn't get something pretty fantastic for £600 or less which would match a bike at retail perhaps upto £3000. There is huge depreciation on older bikes especially with the wrong brand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Gian...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Something like this is what I’m looking for.

Don’t want something well used or 5-6 years old etc

That looks pretty good to be honest and seems a significant saving compared to the 2022 and 2021 models. You can get bikes that are 5-6 years with very light use though but it sounds like that is not for you. The model year 2020 starts in late 2019 so you wonder how its still new but whatever looks like a potential bargain if that is your neck of the woods.

vickster

Legendary Member
Check the warranty situation. Even if it’s new, if not the first owner, you may be paying £1700 for a bike with no warranty

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Yeah that one is collection only And I’m not ready to pull the trigger just yet.
Anyone know what the warranty policy is with Giant as in transfer owners.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah that one is collection only And I’m not ready to pull the trigger just yet.
Anyone know what the warranty policy is with Giant as in transfer owners.
Warranty for first owner only, presumably the name on the original purchase invoice (after the official dealer, doesn’t look like that seller is a dealer?)
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/warranty

Giant warrants for the original owner only the frame, rigid fork, or original component parts of each new Giant brand bicycle to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the following specified periods

It’ll be the same for Trek, Specialized etc

si_c

Guru
Giant provide the warranty only for the original owner, it's non-transferrable.

I definitely wouldn't be ponying up £2k for a bike with no warranty. There are much better deals on second hand bikes to be had.

Even for new bikes I'd be looking at something like the Trek Domane AL5 at £1900 new over the Giant at that price. The Domane is an excellent bike and the Aluminium frame is very good too. If you like Giant bikes then the Giant Content (the Aluminium Defy essentially) is around your £1500 mark with disc brakes too. Both these bikes are endurance focused so very comfortable.

monkers

Veteran
Looking for a nice summer only road bike.
As some of you may know I have a Boardman ADV 8.8 fitted with road tyres at present,although it’s not a pure road bike it is my first drop bar bike and I have enjoyed using it.

I have made a post about Giant TCR advance previously, as I’ve always fancied one, however some replies suggest I should maybe look to something a little less aggressive and slightly more comfortable, like the Defy?

I should also add I do not race etc, it’s purely for fitness/hobby cycling.

I would like disc brakes,preferably hydraulic although I am open to rim brakes for the right bike,and a minimum shimano 105 groupset, I would be buying 2nd hand also.

Would appreciate any suggestions/ebay/gumtree links etc of alternate options to consider within my budget.

Thanks.
Bargain alert!

My local bike shop (Gosport in Hampshire) has this Genesis Equilibrium 105 bike in size Medium with about a third off £1249.

These bikes are rated as reliable and comfortable mile munchers with a useful turn of speed.

https://www.trentsbikeshack.co.uk/equilibrium.html

Not sure if that floats your boat or not?

Last edited:
Top Bottom