£1000 road bike budget(used)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Looking for a nice summer only road bike.
As some of you may know I have a Boardman ADV 8.8 fitted with road tyres at present,although it’s not a pure road bike it is my first drop bar bike and I have enjoyed using it.

I have made a post about Giant TCR advance previously, as I’ve always fancied one, however some replies suggest I should maybe look to something a little less aggressive and slightly more comfortable, like the Defy?

I should also add I do not race etc, it’s purely for fitness/hobby cycling.

I would like disc brakes,preferably hydraulic although I am open to rim brakes for the right bike,and a minimum shimano 105 groupset, I would be buying 2nd hand also.
See opening post.

freiston

Veteran
I have to admit that I am perplexed. The sort of bikes being looked at are not my thing but I can understand wanting something sporty, especially purely for summer use: I've even had the odd flight of fancy myself, especially when there's a rollover at King Arthur's gaff. The thing that perplexes me is this from the OP:

". . . some replies suggest I should maybe look to something a little less aggressive and slightly more comfortable . . . I do not race etc, it’s purely for fitness/hobby cycling"
- and yet the bikes being looked at are (appear to me to be) very sporty and erring towards high-end carbon frame and components - but the law of diminishing returns means that all that extra money for the high-spec is going on minimal performance gains - which seems at odds with the intended use/purpose of the bike. Given the remit, my instincts would be to look at something like the sportier 105 equipped audax bikes.

I'm not trying to say "you shouldn't be buying that, you should buy this", just saying that to me the requirement doesn't quite match up with the desired bike.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I’m open to all suggestions

Some people suggested a Defy as opposed to the TCR as it is more of an all day comfort ride as opposed to all out racer?

freiston

Veteran
I’m open to all suggestions

Some people suggested a Defy as opposed to the TCR as it is more of an all day comfort ride as opposed to all out racer?
Not particularly a recommendation but more for illustration of other bikes that imho fit the requirement, you could get a brand new titanium-framed 105 equipped audax bike (built for distance and comfort) for £1290:

https://spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s223p3404/SABBATH-Aspire-105-R7000

freiston

Veteran
The Genesis that @monkers linked to above (post #45) is of a similar ilk to what I would be looking at. Spa do several steel 105 based audax bikes with various permutations of brake type, double/triple chainset, 9/10/11 speed etc.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Not particularly a recommendation but more for illustration of other bikes that imho fit the requirement, you could get a brand new titanium-framed 105 equipped audax bike (built for distance and comfort) for £1290:

https://spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s223p3404/SABBATH-Aspire-105-R7000
Thanks for the link.

Although as I mentioned I will not be racing, and it is for hobby/fitness cycling, I do want a sportier looking bike and do enjoy trying to achieve PBS etc on my routes.

The bike linked on spacycles is not what I’m looking for, although I’m sure it is a very capable bike,it’s just a little to basic/old style looking for me.

I want a modern style,happy with 105 groupset though.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

@fraz101 have you not looked at the Planet X options I mentioned on page one?
What are your thoughts?
Yes I certainly did have a look.

I even had an online chat with them.

They are absolutely in my thoughts, I do like my Shimano groupset though and they are sram fitted.

Also I’m not too impressed with the colour options they have. Not sure I like the frame either.

Top Bottom