£102.30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnsie

Eight round trips so far this year at 25 miles per.

Diesel for the car at approx 50 mpg and a fiver a gallon = £20.......

Flint on Friday wrote off nearly new tyre - 7mm long cut across the thread wrote tyre off, though tube is repairable = £23

huh

But like previous - I'm much fitter than I would otherwise be, so no complaints.

Debian

Tynan said:
hmm, I like to think I must save although two wheel rebuilds in the last few weeks has set me back £130 and tyres and brakes are a fairly regular expense plus a cassette/chainwheel/chain replacement and some odd bits and bobs, plus clothes

I suspect it's not as much as most of us think over a year

health and not having to take part in the shoving and pushing of the commute

and most days a genuine feeling of pleasure and enjoyment, most days

Oh I agree with you old boy!

I've just spent £40 on 2 x new tyres and a gear cable + sheathing and £15 on a new set of Lidl panniers. But generally it's all cost neutral at least as that cash I spent on the bike is cash that would otherwise have gone into the fuel tank.

Other months I spend nothing on the bike so it's all saving.

+ there's the fitness benefit and general feeling of well being.

++ there's the smug feeling as I glide gracefully past the lines of queuing commuter cars...! ;)

bad boy

Über Member
I'm an advocate of using a LBS as long as the shop is decent of course, and the scheme which seems to best suite LBS is the cyclescheme.co.uk all others are associated with the big shops like Evans, wiggle, halfrauds etc.

If you are in the public sector they have just also won a national tender which means thats not an excuse from an employer as to a reason not to start the ball rolling.

Norm

shippers said:
Your employer doesn't have to pay National Insurance on a chunk of your salary, together with reclaiming and keeping the VAT on the cost of the bike.
+1. Also add the lump sum payment which you have to pay the employers to "buy" the bike from them.

This was part of the justification I used...
Overall, if the employee were to spend £500 on a bike and accessories, we would immediately reclaim £75 in VAT. Over the period of the contract, we would recover the full £500 from the employee and we would reduce our employers NI by £65. We would also get the benefit of £25 from the employee buying the bike from us. The return for the company is, therefore, over 30% of the purchase price of the bike.

davidg said:
I havent been cycling in so I could probably post an amount that I have spent rather than saved!

just having trouble getting back into it post Xmas with the cold and the like. Also I am training for a triathlon so after an hour's run one day, cant be bothered to cycle the next....

shocking stuff

Hope you are doing some brick sessions - off the bike, straight out for a run. Doesn't need to be a long run but it will help prepare you for transition, otherwise it feels like you've got someone else's legs on.

A yearly travel card would cost me £1208.00. From where I work to where I live would take me about an hour. Cycling takes me about 45 mins. I am not sure what I spend on my bike every month or so to keep it running but I cannot imagine it is too much. I have been cycling to work about three years now and I do not have any regrets at all. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I save about £25 a week purely on a petrol only basis , thats uhm £1200 a year ......

OOOOOOhhh at least i can use that as an argument when i need "X " part next time :eek:

D

Deleted member 1258

I have been pedalling to and from work since about 1980, if I had banked what I've been saving, instead of spending it, I would probably be able to retire now. I am not in permanent work at the moment, got made redundant just after Christmas, but I'm doing temporary agency work in Nuneaton and biking between Coventry and Nuneaton. Doing that trip by bus, I don't own a car, would cost more than 10 quid a week, the bike costs two or three quid a week to run.

Moodyman said:
Wife berated me for spending £500 on a new bike just before Christmas. She now thinks its money well spent.

Has she tried the old "That was a good idea of MINE, persuading you to buy that bike"? :blush:
Good thing is, if you suggest getting another, more expensive 'best' bike, she might be more receptive than she would have been...............;)

Oh, and if she asks, I didn't say that and I don't know who you are! :biggrin:

stoofer

Norm said:
Overall, if the employee were to spend £500 on a bike and accessories, we would immediately reclaim £75 in VAT. Over the period of the contract, we would recover the full £500 from the employee...

I don't think they should be reclaiming the full amount including VAT from the employee, the only saving the employer makes is from the NI reduction. If your employer is getting the VAT from the purchase of a bike from the employee then this is essentially stealing from the taxman.

davidg

stoofer said:
I don't think they should be reclaiming the full amount including VAT from the employee, the only saving the employer makes is from the NI reduction. If your employer is getting the VAT from the purchase of a bike from the employee then this is essentially stealing from the taxman.

that stealing is called a Tax Incentive!

Top Bottom