£140 million for Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User said:
Except its only £110 million of new money - not £140 million.

Title amended accordingly.

<Short-sighted & selfish alert>

£140 million to get a load of kids to cycle to school on NCN cyclepaths! Give me and guys like Papercorn2000 half that amount and immunity from prosecution and we will make the roads safe with flamethrowers and rocket launchers. No more cycle paths - get grown up drivers out of their cars and riding on the roads

</Short-sighted & selfish alert>

Sorry. Good news for English schoolkids - I hope the Northern Ireland Assemby factors in a few quid for something useful for kids here.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hopefully the nippers will be on some bits of the NCN that are one road as well. They'll be the drivers of tomorrow, and possibly may influence their parents, I guess.

(Rocket launcher plan should definitely be plan b, mind...)

[BikeBiz] The funding increase will:

* allow an extra 500,000 10 year-olds across England to take part in Bikeability cycle training by 2012, equipping them to cycle safely and responsibly

* build another 250 Safe Links to Schools, connecting around 500 more schools to the National Cycle Network. Many schools with links have already doubled the number of pupils cycling to school.

* create up to a further 10 Cycling Demonstration Towns in England, as well as the first large Demonstration City. This will mean nearly 3 million people will have the chance to benefit from best practice and promotion of cycling. [BikeBiz]

The 'Demonstration towns' programme costs £3 million per town (over three years) if it's the same as Derby, Exeter, darlington et al. So that'll be £30 million then.

Which leaves £110 million split between 250 'safe links' and training for 500,000 ten year olds. The training is over four years if it starts this year. However you slice it, it's a big lump of cash.

I'm a cycle trainer. Tee hee :biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom