£15.50 per Hour for driving slowly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
DSC_0171.jpg

That's my fuel consumption from driving between York and Manchester.

My speed varies between 30mph and 70mph along the M62 depending on conditions and speed restrictions and the 70 miles door to door takes around 1hr 40mins.

albion

Guru
It would be good but methinks it is an estimate rather than a verified real saving.

You're the bloke in front of a line of 50 cars and vans all of whom have jobs to do, families to visit, work to get to. The maximum speed of a major road is 60mph for a good reason.
45/50mph is fine for a road with a 50mph limit but not for a major road.

Sorry - I drive and cycle but there's nothing worse than some old codger driving selfishly at such a speed.

Where possible and safe to do so, I'll happily and easily overtake a van doing 45-50 on a NSL road.

Where possible and safe to do so, I'll happily and carefully overtake a van with a car (or two) stuck behind it on a NSL road. There are fewer opportunities to do so though.

Where possible and safe to do so, I'll happily and easily overtake three cars one by one, followed by the van.

What I can't do (on most roads) is overtake three or more cars, driving with no gap allowing someone else to overtake them, behind a van doing 45-50, all ignoring/not seeing/refusing/too worried to take the opportunities that are available to them.

To sum up, I'd never blame the van.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
That's the beauty of dual carriageways on main routes... now can someone please explain the logic in making the A1 a motorway from the M1/M62 almost up to Catterick, but not dualling it from Morpeth to Berwick and from there up to Edinburgh?

On 2 occasions the M74 has been blocked by major accidents in the last year and everything travelled over the A69 and up the single carriageway to Scotland... it's ridiculous.

GilesM

Legendary Member
That's the beauty of dual carriageways on main routes... now can someone please explain the logic in making the A1 a motorway from the M1/M62 almost up to Catterick, but not dualling it from Morpeth to Berwick and from there up to Edinburgh?

On 2 occasions the M74 has been blocked by major accidents in the last year and everything travelled over the A69 and up the single carriageway to Scotland... it's ridiculous.

Most of Berwick to Edinburgh is now dual carriageway, but I understand you point, the section from Morpeth to Berwick really should be a dual carriageway.

If the M74 is blocked, there really are some great alternatives, maybe not quite as quick but lots of fun and great views, additionally there are B roads that run along side the M74 and are virtually always traffic free.

Hip Priest

Veteran
You're the bloke in front of a line of 50 cars and vans all of whom have jobs to do, families to visit, work to get to. The maximum speed of a major road is 60mph for a good reason.

Sorry - I drive and cycle but there's nothing worse than some old codger driving selfishly at such a speed.

C'mon feel the self-importance.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last

So what if somebody wants to do 50mph on a 60mph road,it's their choice.I'm sure you wouldn't berate a cyclist for doing 25mph on a 40mph road so why hate a car/van for not doing the legal speed limit. (not target)
Maybe you should start your journey a few minutes earlier to compensate for these dawdlers.

albion

Guru
I occasionaly a cycle route along an old byway at Whittenstall near Derwent Reservoir that leads onto a bridleway for North East travel.

It is far too rough for a bike so am always amused when I see the white National Speed limit sign amongst the horse manure and craters.

screenman

Legendary Member
Lincolnshire, we have a fine mix of tailgaters and 40mph every where types, that is on the 60 or the 30 still the same 40mph. I would much rather a slower person in front of me than a tailgater on my rear bumper.

I cycle about 6,000 miles per year and drive about 35,000, I wish it was the other way around.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
[QUOTE 1793897, member: 9609"]There's hardly a week goes by when I am not on some part of that road, completely bonkers that the A1 is not duelled for its entirety. Now this is one road I would not travel at 45-50, it would be suicidal; Lorries travel at 56 (40tons 40% above their speed limit) Cars 70 - 80 and vans are only limited by their maximum speed.

I don't know if you will be old enough to remember the 3 lane single carriageway between Morpeth and Felton. Outside lanes for north and south with a kamikaze lane in the middle for overtaking. The death toll was considerable. It was just a big game of chicken in the middle lane and then there would be those overtaking the ones in the middle lane. Yep, sometimes three lanes of traffic all heading towards three lanes of traffic all on the same three lanes, all going as fast as possible.[/quote]

Oh I've driven along there a lot, especially when the A! went through Stannington!

The speed limit is just that, a limit. Not a target!

I consider the speed limit a guide line speed for when the roads are wet. In other words I drive faster in good conditions but slower in bad ones. Through towns, villages etc its best to stick to the speed limit (or close enough) regardless of good conditions.

Driving too slow frustrates other drivers and is therefore actually more hazardous to do so. Lane hoggin on motorways is just as bad.

colly

Re member eR
Someone famous/clever/thoughtful said.......'It is of no use running. The thing is to start in time'

Top Bottom