£15.50 per Hour for driving slowly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
DRIVE FASTER! You're making me slow down! I'm in a hurry and I'm very important, can't you see? Grrrrrr!

It's nice to get out of the rat race. Did the same myself by getting rid of a 200bhp Astra Coupe Turbo (mid-life crisis mobile) and going posh with the Beemer.
More comfortable, less stress, cheaper to run, and enjoying watching the world go by.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That's a pretty impressive fuel consumption figure for a van.

I don't drive much but I have access to a car - a Honda Bebop (it's close enough for Jazz) - that has a trip MPG read out. The last couple of times I've used it, I've been trying to find the highest point where speed is the same as MPG - I've managed to get just above 60mpg whilst running at 60mph. It makes for a new challenge whilst driving and it's far more relaxing than rushing.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Why don't you cycle?

You could make even more savings and become healthier so you can enjoy your retirement for longer.;)

Monsieur

You're the bloke in front of a line of 50 cars and vans all of whom have jobs to do, families to visit, work to get to. The maximum speed of a major road is 60mph for a good reason.
45/50mph is fine for a road with a 50mph limit but not for a major road.

Sorry - I drive and cycle but there's nothing worse than some old codger driving selfishly at such a speed.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I used to do a standard 90-ish on the motorway - had done for years. Then when fuel zoomed up, just when pennies were tight, I tried keeping it down to 70-ish. I was genuinely amazed by the difference. Never did any numbers, but at a guess, I'd say I was probably getting an extra third at least on my mileage.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You're the bloke in front of a line of 50 cars and vans all of whom have jobs to do, families to visit, work to get to. The maximum speed of a major road is 60mph for a good reason.

Sorry - I drive and cycle but there's nothing worse than some old codger driving selfishly at such a speed.

Think you answered your own point. It's maximum, not a minimum.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1793171, member: 9609"]84 there 84 back + a dog + other stuff; would struggle on a bike.
I have managed over a thousand so far this year on two wheels![/quote]

Well...fair enough then.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
On a serious note, I'm a 65-70 mph motorway driver.

But due to the extensive roadwords on the M62, the speeds are currently limited to 50. I drove across the Pennines over the weekend and it was a joy. Far more relaxing and only added a few mins to the journey time.

GilesM

Legendary Member

Max speed on a single carriageway road in the national speed limit for a van is 50mph, so you can't really expect him to be doing 60mph, remember, it's the cars behind the slow vehicle that either don't overtake, or prevent others from overtaking by sitting too close behind the the vehicle that they won't overtake that create the problem, not the slow vehicle itself.

asterix

Comrade Member
I'm surprised your slower journey takes so much longer TBH.

Anyway IMO the 60 max that Monsieur refers to is very often too fast for many roads, it's time they introduced a general 50 limit and only allowed faster driving on specified roads.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

The speed limit is just that, a limit. Not a target!

loadz

Next time your on a 60mph limit road,set your cruise at 60mph hour and see how many SECONDS you can maintain it for.For starters trucks can only do 40 on a single track so 45/50 is prob the most comfortable speed you can maintain without going into WVM mode and trying to overtake everything in view!!!!

Top Bottom