£1500 Budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Planet x carbon pro with SRAM red currently at 1100 then get yourself a decent pair of wheels - mavic ksyriums if you wanna go high tech or Harry rowlands hand made specials if you want to keep it real - total damage under 1400 for a bike that would have won the tour de France a few years ago...

wise words.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
+1 for the Planet X suggestions (nothing wrong with Focus either mind). Their Campag builds are pretty good value too, though the wheels are firmly in the decent-but-heavy category. I wouldn't mind a recumbent myself, don't rule that out.
And if you want mudguards on a road bike (sorry Simon!) Crud Roadracers are much better than RaceBlades, IMHO and that of more than a few others.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
A little over my budget but HUGE saving - Trek Madone 5.2 compact down to £1999.99!! - is it worth pushing the pennies further?? Great spec..........................

tigger

Über Member
A little over my budget but HUGE saving - Trek Madone 5.2 compact down to £1999.99!! - is it worth pushing the pennies further?? Great spec..........................

Great bike... I was tempted by these too and they do look very very nice in the flesh.

I can't comment on whats frames better but the Nanolight spec is a step or two up and is closer to your budget. Either way they're as good a bike as you'll ever need.

Sod it... if you've got the dough go for it!

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Shame Wiggle have sold out of the Focus Cayo Team Replica in my size... that was a mental spec for £1399

There's one left (ex demo) in LARGE.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Cayo_Team_Replica_2010_Ex-Demo/5360053630/

surfdude

Veteran
its no good having all this money to spend if you dont try the bikes out first .everyone seems to give advice on all these lovely bikes we would all want if we had £1500+ to spend .get down to some shops and try some bikes out and then buy the best fitting bike and the best in that range you can afford . i just brought a giant defy 2 form ash cycles for £658 and think its a great bike . if i had £1500+ to spend i would have brought the Giant TCR Alliance but alas the older child has just started uni and that i was told was more important then a new bike.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Have heard a few people really rate the Madone on other forums, seems like a loverly bike for the money.

Other makes to consider: Enigma, Van Nichols (both do great steel and titanium bikes), Kinesis (I have a custom TK2, cost me about £1500 to set up - if you know what you're looking for custom can be the ideal option, and I have full guards on there).

As Lee says bents are nice and fast, though if thats not what you're after....

Other things to consider: how would you like to be seated.. more upright like on the hybrid, or right down low in the drops. Different bikes have different geometries and ideally these need to be tested in saddle to make sure you're personally comfortable. Different people get on with different positions.

Wheels.. off the peg bikes dont always come with the wheels you'd like, wheels are just as personal a thing as riding position or choice of bike. A good bike within your budget should come with decent wheels, find out what the hubs and rims are and google them for reviews

Tyres. Sometimes even the decent budget bikes come with naff tyres. So budget about £40 for a set of decent ones like Gatorskins, Racelites, Rubino Pros etc.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Thanks for all the advice

After trying the Trek Madone (which I loved to bits, so smooth & fast) I've just had my Specialized totally refurbed, total strip down with new cassette and chain.

My main concern was how much use I'd get from the new bike over the winter months, I'll revisit the search Feb next year with the better weather on its way, my current bike will suffice through winter. The VAT increase will be a s**t and the lovely Trek (in 2010 colours) will not be available.

Off to Thailand now, a compromise to keep 'her indoors' onside!!

Top Bottom