£1500 Budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
Dear All

I'm looking at my first road bike with a budget of around £1500, I've been looking at maybe snapping up a 2010 bike that is now in the sale.

Evans cycles seem to have some good options but I'm a little 'green' on what I should consider. A good spec BMC was at a good price but I know nothing about them. What has taken my eye is the Trek Madone now at around £1399.

I'm 11st and 5'8 - what should I be looking for and is there any specific bike someone would recommend? I'd be using it for mainly weekend rides through winter looking at rides of 50 - 100 miles.

Maybe the question I ask is impossible to answer but any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

e-rider

crappy member
that's a lot to spend on a 'first bike'

£800 will get you a good bike for weekend rides in winter.

higher spec kit tends to wear quicker and be less suited to winter riding.

you won't fit mudguards on any high spec road bikes, except crappy 'raceblades'. A winter bike really needs full guards

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Thanks guys - never considered titanium, I'll do some research.

I say first bike, we've just finished LEJOG but I did it on a Specialized hybrid (which I found excellent) now I'd like to progress onto something lighter/faster etc. I dont 'have' to spend £1500 so I'm open to suggestions, If I can find a suitable bike for £800 then great!!

I've ridden so many miles alone I'd like to join a club or something similar........if this makes any difference?

geo

Hi,

Think it comes down to personal preference once you move into the "better bike" price range which with a £1500 budget you clearly are. I ride a Kuota and love it although slightly over your budget,take a look at Cube fantastic looking bikes well specced at about your top price range, but as I say down to personal preference IMO.

Basically a good carbon based frame gives a smoother ride which will in turn keep the legs a bit fresher over long journeys. At the price range you are looking at it wont be quite as quick or responsive as a good stiff aluminium frame - but if that's not your bag then the Trek Madone sounds ideal.

e-rider

crappy member
Thanks guys - never considered titanium, I'll do some research.

I say first bike, we've just finished LEJOG but I did it on a Specialized hybrid (which I found excellent) now I'd like to progress onto something lighter/faster etc. I dont 'have' to spend £1500 so I'm open to suggestions, If I can find a suitable bike for £800 then great!!

I've ridden so many miles alone I'd like to join a club or something similar........if this makes any difference?

I don't know any club that would let you join a club ride in wet winter conditions without full mudguards unless you promised to only ride at the back!

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't know any club that would let you join a club ride in wet winter conditions without full mudguards unless you promised to only ride at the back!

+1 on that, a few years ago I got a rollicking of the ride leader for not having a mudflap fitted to my rear mudguard.

Lozatron

Planet x carbon pro with SRAM red currently at 1100 then get yourself a decent pair of wheels - mavic ksyriums if you wanna go high tech or Harry rowlands hand made specials if you want to keep it real - total damage under 1400 for a bike that would have won the tour de France a few years ago...

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
I've had the Moda Tempo recommended - looks good, Ali frame (not over fussed about carbon), good spec and wheels for a reasonable price.

Initial thoughs positive, anybody know anything about them?

e-rider

crappy member
I don't know anything about the Moda Tempo but it looks like a pure road race bike with fast geometry - is that what you want? Just from looking at the pics I got the impression that you could do a lot better for £1500.

Not sure why User3143 is going on about 'bents.

Top Bottom