£16000 or £300?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just don't bother getting insured,like many in Bradford do/don't.

That is ridiculous, though many are missing the point about car insurance. It's not just about paying for your own car if you damage it, it's more about covering you if you crash into a £40k car and put two people in wheelchairs.
True, & often used as an argument, not that they legally need one, by Traffic Officers that I speak with at work

Chris S

Legendary Member
Musicians pay higher premiums because if they're killed or injured in a crash (that's their fault) then the insurer would be liable for the costs of any cancelled concerts.
However insurers don't seem to distinguish between local musicians and people like Eric Clapton.

Musicians pay higher premiums because if they're killed or injured in a crash (that's their fault) then the insurer would be liable for the costs of any cancelled concerts.
Is that true? If you cause an accident and the victim is a musician, that would be true - your insurance would pay out on all costs caused to others by the accident, but comprehensive car insurance only covers damage to your vehicle, not to you.

(yes, I know musicians, actors etc have higher premiums, but I don't think that is the reason)

Edit: if you are a musician, it's more likely that Eric Clapton will be a passenger, so apparently that is part of the reason

mustang1

Legendary Member
However insurers don't seem to distinguish between local musicians and people like Eric Clapton.
I always thought artists are charged higher insurance because they tend to be absent minded. :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry to say this but a couple of years ago my Pakistan agent's son, who was a student in Luton at that time, telephoned me to ask my opinion on him and three pals jointly buying an old BMW 3 series to get to and from college. Having warned him that they would be buying an absolute money-pit in expense for repairs and maintenance I got onto the subject of insurance. The lad was dumbfounded; he had no idea that insurance is required in the UK or how much it was likely to cost four students. I assured him that he would be unlikely to get very far without being stopped by an ANPR car and in any case the consequences of an uninsured accident or injury were too terrible to contemplate. In his own country, he told me, most people had faith that they would complete the journey without incident and if anything happened after a roadside negotiation cash would change hands and the matter would be finished.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
There are 3 or 4 Bradford postcodes which regularly appear in the top (national) hotspots for accident claims. Incidentally, these also have a high number of uninsured drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Sorry to say this but a couple of years ago my Pakistan agent's son, who was a student in Luton at that time, telephoned me to ask my opinion on him and three pals jointly buying an old BMW 3 series to get to and from college. Having warned him that they would be buying an absolute money-pit in expense for repairs and maintenance I got onto the subject of insurance. The lad was dumbfounded; he had no idea that insurance is required in the UK or how much it was likely to cost four students. I assured him that he would be unlikely to get very far without being stopped by an ANPR car and in any case the consequences of an uninsured accident or injury were too terrible to contemplate. In his own country, he told me, most people had faith that they would complete the journey without incident and if anything happened after a roadside negotiation cash would change hands and the matter would be finished.

This is bang on. In South Asia, there is no insurance. Accidental damage would be discussed by the two parties and a settlement agreed.

Jody

Stubborn git
Is that true? If you cause an accident and the victim is a musician, that would be true - your insurance would pay out on all costs caused to others by the accident, but comprehensive car insurance only covers damage to your vehicle, not to you.

It coveres damage to your car and third parties ie people in your car. Same as why footballers premiums are so high. Its not about them alone or trying to rinse them out of as much money as possible but the potential damage costs of club members on high wages that may be travelling in the car.

Top Bottom