£200-£300 Hybrid for Older New Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The doomed

Über Member
Looking to buy a bike for a friend who's looking to get some exercise around his local area. He's in early 70s and just looking for something that will get him along cycle paths and odd flat woodland trail.

Something relatively low maintenance would be good. Doesn't need many gears. Wont be cycling in the rain. And, obviously, the lighter the better.

Any recommendations?

So far...
2016 MARIN FAIRFAX SC2 IG @ £300 (Rutland)
GT Traffic 2.0 2015 Hybrid Bike @ £260 (Evans) - with mudguards

Goggs

Guru
Marins are good bikes. I owned one once & they give a lot for the money. That's all I have, sorry. Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

OP
OP
T

The doomed

Über Member
Thanks!

Will go to local Evans to see if they have the Pinnacle Lithium 1 in store. Looks like a good buy. Local Edinburgh Bike Coop has the Marin - may check it out too.

OP
OP
T

The doomed

Über Member
Went for the Marin with mudguards fitted. Collected yesterday from Edinburgh Bike Coop. Seems a good bike for £325

Goggs

Guru
Went for the Marin with mudguards fitted. Collected yesterday from Edinburgh Bike Coop. Seems a good bike for £325

I'm sure it'll gives years of reliable service & should be a fun ride too. The Nexus hub gears are foolproof & a dawdle to adjust. Best thing about them is being able to change gear at a standstill. It comes in the best colour too. :becool:

Top Bottom