£200 to spend on a laptop/netbook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Scotmitchy

Scotmitchy

I think mine is the single processor one, given the price, but I am really looking forward to its portability.

Oh, and it was already a great price, £60 less than the in store price, but when I looked online at lunchtime Currys had knocked a tenner off online. So I phoned customer services, and they are refunding me the tenner, as my order is still in progress. I thought that was really impressive customer service.

It's being delivered on Wednesday morning, I am very excited.

Once I have it, and if I think it is slow, I may pick your brains a wee bit about Ubuntu. I have no idea what that even means!

OP
OP
Scotmitchy

Scotmitchy

posting this from my new netbook, the mobile dongle was rubbish on the train, but fine when stationary.

twowheelsgood

Get a re-furb Core duo notebook.

Our company was knocking out 3-year lifecycle PCs with 2 or 2.2 Ghz core duo Dell D630s for the equivalent of £110 a pop. 15 screen 2GB memory 160BG disk, wireless etc. Windows XP but will run Win 7 fine.

Leaves you with enough aside for a replacement hard drive or battery.

I'm actually a big fan of netbooks, trouble is they do need a bit of fettling to be completely satisfactory, for example flaskblocking and adblocking firefox as many web pages simply put too much junk on them.

My browsing machine is an HP DM1 which I consider more or less the perfect portable - this was £250 in a sale. 11.6" screen (1366*768!), decent keyboard and low voltage dual-core celeron CPU. Like a larger netbook but with TWICE the performance. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom