£2000 vs £5000 and above Carbon bike performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Assuming that both bikes have identical components and the same competitive rider only the cost of carbon frames differ. Unlike expensive cars which can deliver material differences in speed, what can an expensive carbon frame do in terms of speed and overall performance. I understand that carbon fibre technology for bikes above £2k are pretty much the same.

Citius

Very little difference...

vickster

Legendary Member
Larger manufacturer and and sponsorship budgets to fund

Or prestige and cachet as above due to smaller production runs (which also impacts cost of course). Some people have the wherewithal to buy the 'best' (most expensive there is)

Which two bikes are you comparing?

Ultimately the vast majority of riders won't be able to tell the difference but it's their money

Citius

Unlike expensive cars which can deliver material differences in speed, what can an expensive carbon frame do in terms of speed and overall performance

The comparison isn't valid. Expensive cars usually deliver their performance via a powerful engine. On a bike, you are the 'powerful' engine.

bpsmith

Veteran
Bragging rights at the cyclocafe, or 3000 quid..
Do you honestly think that everyone who buys an expensive bike only do so for bragging rights? Some do, I use admit, but believe that most actually don't. Some people buy because they like it strangely enough.

Does this follow for someone on a £1,500 bike when they park up next to a £500 bike then?

I detect a touch of reverse snobbery again?

400bhp

Guru
The way it's put together may differ.

The more expensive frame may be custom built to the riders geometry and riding style.

Even though the frames may look similar there may be subtle differences such as the carbon weave, the integration of seat posts or (if hand built) the lugging look and quality.

Then there's the after sales experience. There may be differences in warranty periods and general after care experiences.

In terms of speed, then for the average Joe very little. But there may be marginal differences that help top riders.

Feel is largely subjective, but there could be benefits from a better fitting frame and geometry.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

The comparison isn't valid. Expensive cars usually deliver their performance via a powerful engine. On a bike, you are the 'powerful' engine.

Actually thats my point. You get a more powerful engine with a car and a motorbike but not a bike. This question was posed by a pub landlord to us, a group of cyclists. We were stumped to the last man when he asked if an expensive bike went faster. It does tell us that some of us have made too many assumptions.

The cost threshold is much lower for a bike and the rest is very much up to the rider.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

The way it's put together may differ.

The more expensive frame may be custom built to the riders geometry and riding style.

Even though the frames may look similar there may be subtle differences such as the carbon weave, the integration of seat posts or (if hand built) the lugging look and quality.

Then there's the after sales experience. There may be differences in warranty periods and general after care experiences.

In terms of speed, then for the average Joe very little. But there may be marginal differences that help top riders.

Feel is largely subjective, but there could be benefits from a better fitting frame and geometry.

Understand the custom built ones. Apparently Obama and the White House cadre of cyclist all have custom built bikes to suit them. I guess the cost of personalised service.

bpsmith

Veteran
I am always perplexed by people moaning about people spending on more expensive bikes, but that are quite happy to keep spending in changing bits of their cheaper bike, or regularly replacing cheaper bikes with other cheaper bikes, or simply adding to their collection. Ultimately, they spend the same as someone who buys a more expensive bike and sticks with it.

If having multiple cheaper bikes, or upgrading parts, floats your boat then that's all that matters. Similarly, owning a more expensive bike that you look after is equally enjoyable.

Either way, if it's simply to show off to others then I really don't understand that very shortlived phenomenon?

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Really - a group of cyclists couldn't answer this?

Initially there were a lots of enthusiasm and comments about group sets etc until he asked about speed. It also could be because some had expensive rides and folks were guarded when the speed question was raised.

Top Bottom