£23 dropper post... how bad can it be?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
"Press can adjust the height of the tube at any time to adapt to the different height of the crowd design humanization, more convenient to use!"

Sounds reasonable :wacko: :laugh:

Might be de-humanised if that dropper doesn't stop on the 'up' !

Levo-Lon

Guru
Oh sod it, it's not that much more than a second hand fixed alloy post...

When it arrives from China I'll let you know just how bad it can be!

Wasn't going to chance it, but if they were specced on ofo's they must be reasonably robust.

Can I interest you in a paved driveway,patio and some windows..cheap :laugh:

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Quick update - fitted the post to a bike I'm building up, and took it for a couple of test spins.

General quality looks very good, but there is one massive (and bizarre!) design flaw - the saddle rail clamp has no tilt adjustment whatsoever.

Fortunately my seat tube angle resulted in a very, very slight upward tilt to the saddle, which is what I'd usually go for in any case. But I don't think I could put up with using this post on a bike with a particularly steep or slack seat tube.

The post action was initially very stiff indeed, but has loosened up to being merely rather firm after what I'd guess would be a couple of hundred cycles, and now feels pretty good.

Build quality looks good, everything is nicely finished and there's no play anywhere there shouldn't be. Only time will tell if the bushes/seals are up to scratch.

The crotch grab lever actuation obviously takes more forward planning than a bar mounted lever, but that was fully expected.

The seat post clamp included with the post is the ugliest I've ever seen, but it can easily be replaced.

For £23 I'd definitely buy another. But WTF were they thinking with that saddle clamp design?!

Maybe it's because I have long legs - very long legs - but never suffer from unwanted seat contact, or the seat getting in the way. Funilly enough, neither did anyone else until thy were invented. I never need to drop the seat on a technical trail, and neither do the majority of my students.

Figbat raises a very good point about attire. I have seen people spill because they've got the nose of the saddle caught in the hem of the shorts leg.

For quite a long time I had mastered the art of undoing the quick release while riding, using my weight to drop the post before locking the qr, and then doing the same in reverse, pulling the saddle up by hand while rolling along.

On a hardtail it allows me to hang off the back and belt it down a long steep cobbled track which, now that I've got a tag-along clamp on there I have to ride a lot slower than I used to.

WindsorVintage70s

I just put a dropper on my gravel bike. Super disruptive to the more classical cyclists in my circle. But, anyone from 15-27 thinks it's the best idea I've ever had. :smile:

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
If you ride down steep rough stuff, they are the way forward!

Top Bottom