£30 fine for no lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Both these examples are poor. Rapists and those who stab people are doing it on purpose, often premeditated. This is not the case in traffic collisions......unless a driver is going specifically to kill someone, in which case I guess it would be better to have no light or high viz.... easier to hide.
That's the problem with metaphors... and metaphors of metaphors.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Both these examples are poor. Rapists and those who stab people are doing it on purpose, often premeditated. This is not the case in traffic collisions......unless a driver is going specifically to kill someone, in which case I guess it would be better to have no light or high viz.... easier to hide.

All analogies are imperfect, but they do illustrate the victim-blaming that goes on.

Consider this one: someone is walking along a street holding a knife. They're not paying attention and accidentally stab someone. The police blame the victim for not wearing a stab vest. Better?

bianchi1

Guru
All analogies are imperfect, but they do illustrate the victim-blaming that goes on.

Consider this one: someone is walking along a street holding a knife. They're not paying attention and accidentally stab someone. The police blame the victim for not wearing a stab vest. Better?

Wow....that is one amazing situation!

If I lived in an area were folk walk around with knives, carelessly stabbing people, I might get one of those stab vests....or move.

Wow....that is one amazing situation!

If I lived in an area were folk walk around with knives, carelessly stabbing people, I might get one of those stab vests....or move.

How many people have been injured or killed by motor vehicles within ten miles of your home? A speeding driver killed a rider at the end of my road and got a £500 fine. Moving house is just a nonsensical suggestion, you combat crime by tackling it, not running away.

2WheelsBest

How many people have been injured or killed by motor vehicles within ten miles of your home? A speeding driver killed a rider at the end of my road and got a £500 fine. Moving house is just a nonsensical suggestion, you combat crime by tackling it, not running away.
At what point does "accidental" drift over into pre-meditated and then deliberate? £500 for a life? Blinkin' flip - what's the cost of a hit-man these days?

Mike!

Guru
The sooner people stop thinking that individual cyclists somehow represent ALL cyclists, the better off all cyclists will be.
Did I say that? no - read it again

classic33

Leg End Member
Did I say that? no - read it again
You said
Good on them, the sooner the no lights / jump red light brigade get dealt with the sooner our image will improve to the average cage driver ^_^
The response, reasonable,
The sooner people stop thinking that individual cyclists somehow represent ALL cyclists, the better off all cyclists will be.
is that a view of a minority, can & does reflect on everyone who uses that mode of transport. From foot to HGV.
All have come in for some stick on here. A minority impacting how the majority are seen & treated by others.

markharry66

Über Member
Great news when will they start fining car drivers that dont have their lights on ohh yeah thats not going to happen.

markharry66

Über Member
More recent experience in semi dark mornings recently of course I am aware cyclist dont always have lights just noticed the amount of cars on the road recently with out lights on which for me is worrying.

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 3928410, member: 45"]Don't be daft. I can't imagine a situation where a police car comes across a driver at night with no lights on[/QUOTE]
... and isn't already on another call. Traffic policing? What decade are you living in, Granddad?

Top Bottom