£30 fine for no lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Surely the remaining police have much more serious crimes to focus on!
I forgot that traffic police also dealt with burglaries and homicides.
It's kind of similar to expecting the database administrator in your IT department at work to fix the printing issue you have.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wish the Manchester lot would get the student's here. :laugh:

dawesome

of course they are not a major proportion, as cyclists only represent a very small percentage of road traffic. However are you denying that cyclists without lights dont get hit and killed / Injured?

Got an example?

Nantmor

"The study, carried out for the Department for Transport, found that in 2% of cases where cyclists were seriously injured in collisions with other road users police said that the rider disobeying a stop sign or traffic light was a likely contributing factor. Wearing dark clothing at night was seen as a potential cause in about 2.5% of cases, and failure to use lights was mentioned 2% of the time."
This is from http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study. There is a link to the study.
That seems to me to show that no lights is not as serious a problem as you might think.
Perhaps I should make it clear I make sure to have good lighting, and cyclists with no lights piss me off too.

doog

"The study, carried out for the Department for Transport, found that in 2% of cases where cyclists were seriously injured in collisions with other road users police said that the rider disobeying a stop sign or traffic light was a likely contributing factor. Wearing dark clothing at night was seen as a potential cause in about 2.5% of cases, and failure to use lights was mentioned 2% of the time."
This is from http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study. There is a link to the study.
That seems to me to show that no lights is not as serious a problem as you might think.
Perhaps I should make it clear I make sure to have good lighting, and cyclists with no lights piss me off too.

dark clothing and no lights appear to go hand in hand. In 2009 (the year of your link) there were over 17,000 cycling casualties...equates to 700 + odd casualties for no lighting / dark clothing.

I dont know how many were road deaths at the moment but this current Initiative is national, so clearly home office driven.

People seem to have missed Cubists post which hit the nail on the head. Neighourhood policing means that the community get to choose what they want their local neighbourhood bobbies to spend time doing (to some extent). In reality, this means a very small proportion of the community (the type likely to attend the meetings) get what they believe to be 'issues' addressed.

If you don't like it, then you need to attend said meetings and put your suggestions forward. That said, I'd be very unlikely to attend one of these meetings myself so can't blame you anyway.

It's the whole problem with the Neighbourhood policing concept. It's akin to my boiler breaking down, pipes bursting, house flooding, and have a plumber who turns up and says 'Show me what to do'. You're the expert, you fix it!

Nebulous

Guru
The neighbourhood policing has had a big positive impact in Aberdeen - although they canvassed opinon for priorities quite widely and not just in a meeting.

Unfortunately its easy to not notice the results despite a positive impact. As an example - the area where I work has been plagued for years with youngsters running around on primarily stolen motorbikes. I would rarely go out for my lunch without seeing two or three youngsters on a motorbike, without helmets. It was a huge dilemma for the police, as chasing them could lead to dangerous situations and potential injuries.

I went to a meeting with the police, where they said it had been a community priority, they had launched an intelligence led campaign and had raided homes, sheds etc and recovered 13 stolen motorbikes. It was only after he explained this that I realised I hadn't actually seen one for weeks, if not months. So although seeing the bikes in public was an irritant, removing them hadn't greatly changed my perception of the problem until I had it explained to me.

I agree with this initiative by the Police, as mentioned above by Hacienda a set of lights need not cost much and I think you could be legally lit for the winter for less than the £30 fine.

Top Bottom