£30 fine for no lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

It takes about 15 mins to issue a ticket - what a waste of police time.
(Snipped)

"15 mins to issue a ticket". I would question that, but even assuming it to be correct have you seen how long it takes to clear up after a road accident, or worse, a fatality. If 15 minutes of a police officers time can get someone to light up it could potentially be a good investment for the cyclist, for motorists and for the taxpayer.

Alun

Guru
"There are cyclists out there who genuinely dont realise"
I find it hard to accept that !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
"15 mins to issue a ticket". I would question that, but even assuming it to be correct have you seen how long it takes to clear up after a road accident, or worse, a fatality.

I would think 139NI would know more then most.

Will1985

Über Member
In this particular instance (the OP), I would be more concerned about the cars which travel through a 20 zone in excess of 30mph often passing close to me. Whilst I agree that cyclists should be lit up in the dark, they are an easy target. All road users in that area are as bad as each other though -even pedestrians don't use the designated crossings all the time.

Found this on the UEA site: http://www.uea.ac.uk/estates/news/CyclistsencouragedtoLightUp

Alun

Guru
[quote="Will1985, post: 1625051, member: 708" -even pedestrians don't use the designated crossings all the time.(Snipped)

[/quote] That's not a legal requirement though, unlike having lights on a bike.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
There are cyclists out there who genuinely dont realise
Tough titty. They shouldn't be on the road if they don't know the rules.

I'd rather pay for 15 minutes of police time issuing a ticket than the fire engine lifting the car off them, the ambulance collecting them, the police collecting evidence and cleaning up the site, then the A&E crew working hard to keep them alive, then the police spending an hour informing and comforting the parents, then the post mortum and storage of the corpse.

How much is THAT costing the tax payer?

Plus police usually reduce fines if the cyclist agrees to go on a course / get some lights and turn up at the station with them.

Bicycle

I was amazed to see tonight Police dishing out £30 fines outside the university campus for cyclists with no lights. Although there is a saftey issue here, I thought the government was A. trying to get more people cycling, and B. cutting spending on police - surely the remaining police have much more serious crimes to focus on!

The OP clearly feels quite strongly about this, but the above smacks a little of the moan from drivers who are caught speeding and ask whether the Police shouldn't be out catching 'proper criminals'.

I've been caught speeding many times and have always paid with a smile (and paid again when my insurance premium is increased because of the points). My car has a little dial that shows my current speed and the number indicated mustn't be higher than the number in the circular sign beside the road. So easy a child could play!

Still I speed... and still i get fined. Ha ha! That's my own, personal Stupidity Tax.

It's the same with unlit cyclists. It's not a Stealth tax, it's a Stupidity Tax.

Hurrah for the Police! (But please could they avoid doing Speed Checks on the Golden Valley bypass and the road between Glasbury and Brecon).

Alun

Guru
My car has a little dial that shows my current speed and the number indicated mustn't be higher than the number in the circular sign beside the road. So easy a child could play! (snipped)

Haha :thumbsup:.

Suggesting the police could be better employed chasing "proper criminals" is a cheap shot, and one that could be could presumably be used for any transgression, unless you're a murderer or armed robber

This worries me, if you are a policeman, as your handle suggests. I may be misunderstanding your post, but you seem to see the local community as a machine, and the police's role to be fixing it when it breaks down - and, moreover, that the police know what the best way to fix a broken community is, and what makes a properly "fixed" community, because they are professionals. I guess the community should then just shut up and be policed uncomplainingly and in its own interests.

FWIW, I like plumbers who come along and say "Hey, I can do this, this or this, and this is what each one will cost...what's your priority?"

Forgive me if I have read things into your post which aren't there, but my son works for the BTPA, and I'm an old hippie (sort of), and we argue this a lot....

Oooops...perhaps too much thread drift...

I have no problem with Old Bill using valuable resources to get ninja's to lighten up.

It is interesting the way these agendas are driven, very much as CopperCyclist suggests

I was at a meeting when there were a few people who were vociferously complaining about cyclists coming out of the local School on the pavements, and demanding action.... The local Councillor then took this up and the result was that the Police would be formally asked to attend the School and stop the miscreants.

Then someone came up with the silly idea that this could be a combined operation and deal with some of the illegal and dangerous parking at the same School at the same time. The Councillor came up with all sorts of reasons why this would be unacceptable, and we got a clampdown on cyclists, but nothing done about the parking.

Norm

The OP clearly feels quite strongly about this, but the above smacks a little of the moan from drivers who are caught speeding and ask whether the Police shouldn't be out catching 'proper criminals'.
Haha :thumbsup:.

Suggesting the police could be better employed chasing "proper criminals" is a cheap shot, and one that could be could presumably be used for any transgression, unless you're a murderer or armed robber
This was exactly why I posted...
... surely the remaining police have much more serious crimes to focus on!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That was irony, wasn't it?
:thumbsup:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ive seen fines being handed out for cycling on the pavement. But i haven't seen a cyclist being stopped for having no lights and since part of my commute means i rollout as soon as night falls. I regularly pass at least 2 or 3 cyclists on my way home that have no lights. No helmet and no hi-vis. These are probably the luckiest people in the world to have not been knocked over, injured or potentially even killed, especially on london roads. The police really need to enforce these laws to keep everybody safe. If a copper stopped and fined me for having no lights or hi-vis id take it on the chin. After all its for my own safety that i be properly equipped

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I'd be with you for part of that, and congratulations that is quite some thread resurrection.

I was searching for a post where a member said they passed a group of people with no lights while on a commute - I read it on my tablet while i was on the bog, I was going to reply after i was done but i guess I kinda forgot :tongue: Cant find that post so I posted in the thread closest to the topic at hand :tongue:

Top Bottom