£400 hardtail - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
If you had told me that in the first place, we need never have had this conversation. In fact, you've just countered your own original statement of "buying a £400 bike for off-road use is not a good idea IMHO" by explaining that it's not the bikes that are the problem, rather the way your friend treats them. :wacko:

As it is, we're back to the beginning. Anyone got any recommendations for £400-ish hardtails?

[url="http://www.bikester.co.uk/bicycle/mountain-bike/hardtail-up-to-500/233944.html?_cid=1_3_2_2097_2098_2365_233944_&c=18#hardtail-up-to-500-hardtail-up-to-500-analog-black-n-white"]This one[/url]

OP
OP
P

Percy

Nice - thanks AFS. Seems your original Decathlon recommendation is going to be hard to beat on spec.

Zoiders

A friend of mine goes through cheap off-road bikes with some frequency - it's a durability issue, not one of safety.

My secondhand reference was to purchasing a nearly new bike that someone, for whatever reason, was anxious to sell after only nominal mileage.
Durability affects all price points, more money just tends to get you less weight, if you are heavy on the bikes or not the defest of riders then it becomes a very pricey hobby.

Entry level stuff like the £400 rockrider is fine for trail use and will last as well as more pricey options with exception of maybe the forks.

OP
OP
P

Percy

Durability affects all price points, more money just tends to get you less weight, if you are heavy on the bikes or not the defest of riders then it becomes a very pricey hobby.

Wise words - I'm glad a modicum of sense is returning to the thread.

Interesting point on the forks, Zoiders. It's one of the few bits of bike I'm not familiar with (see also disc brakes). Anything I should/shouldn't be looking out for when reviewing specs?

Zoiders

The fork on the decathlon is in fact not half bad for the money.

Above that point just stick to the like of Rockshox Marzochi and Manitou - previously I would have avoided Manitou as they were good but fiddly to fix and maintain but they have come on in leaps and bounds and now seem to rule the lightweight race niche.

Fox offer brilliant kit but it's pricey.
Anything with just springs in it - avoid like the plague as you would be better off rigid.

There is a very lengthy list of features on properly sprung and damped forks with reams and reams of different settings to adjust ride height and feel.

Keep it simple, 100-125mm travel with limited adjustments to the spring rates and damping and a lockout if possible.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

Entry level stuff like the £400 rockrider is fine for trail use and will last as well as more pricey options with exception of maybe the forks.

Once again we agree :smile:

cjb

Sorry, guys, but I still think £400 is too little to spend for serious off-road use. That's the sort of money I would expect to have to spend on my forks alone.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Sorry, guys, but I still think £400 is too little to spend for serious off-road use. That's the sort of money I would expect to have to spend on forks on my forks alone.

We understand your point of view. That said for trail riding a £400 bike will be just fine.

OP
OP
P

Percy

Some of that looks pretty tame to me actually and I'd be happy to handle it on a hardtail - £400 or £3000. But no, in general, not that sort of level of stuff. I'd look at full-sus if I was going that way, probably.

cjb - you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, of course, but you do seem to be blinded by the pound-sign-trick that eminates not just through cycling but most hobbies that require specific equipment. As Zoiders said, specifically with bikes, more money generally gets you lighter stuff, not necessarily stronger. Sure, a £3500 bike, kitted with £400 forks, will handle better, be lighter and probably last longer than one half the price - or a quarter of the price - but to imply, as you are, that you need to spend that money (OK, maybe not £3500, but certainly more than £400) just to even get off a road is somewhat ridiculous.

It's like saying that, to cycle up the classic mountain passes in the Alps and Pyrenees, you need a full carbon bike that cost at least £1500. Anything under that simply won't get you up them. Which is rubbish - you could cycle up those passes on a steel touring bike loaded with panniers - it won't be as easy or perhaps as comfortable, but it's still possible. Just because manufacturers make these high-end products and components doesn't mean they're essential for the job - nice to have, sure, if you want to pay for them (and I do on occasion), but certainly not essential.

Off-road is different, of course, but to suggest a £400 machine is unsuitable simply because of its cost (you haven't actually said yet what it is about the cheaper bikes you're so concerned about - do you think a <£400 suspension fork is going to collapse if it hits a tree root?) if quite frankly naive.

cjb

Some of that looks pretty tame to me actually and I'd be happy to handle it on a hardtail - £400 or £3000. But no, in general, not that sort of level of stuff. I'd look at full-sus if I was going that way, probably.

cjb - you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, of course, but you do seem to be blinded by the pound-sign-trick that eminates not just through cycling but most hobbies that require specific equipment. As Zoiders said, specifically with bikes, more money generally gets you lighter stuff, not necessarily stronger. Sure, a £3500 bike, kitted with £400 forks, will handle better, be lighter and probably last longer than one half the price - or a quarter of the price - but to imply, as you are, that you need to spend that money (OK, maybe not £3500, but certainly more than £400) just to even get off a road is somewhat ridiculous.

It's like saying that, to cycle up the classic mountain passes in the Alps and Pyrenees, you need a full carbon bike that cost at least £1500. Anything under that simply won't get you up them. Which is rubbish - you could cycle up those passes on a steel touring bike loaded with panniers - it won't be as easy or perhaps as comfortable, but it's still possible. Just because manufacturers make these high-end products and components doesn't mean they're essential for the job - nice to have, sure, if you want to pay for them (and I do on occasion), but certainly not essential.

Off-road is different, of course, but to suggest a £400 machine is unsuitable simply because of its cost (you haven't actually said yet what it is about the cheaper bikes you're so concerned about - do you think a <£400 suspension fork is going to collapse if it hits a tree root?) if quite frankly naive.

Yes, that is my opinion and I always buy the best I can afford whether it be a bike or whatever. Experience has taught me that it is usually the cheapest option in the long run.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Yes, that is my opinion and I always buy the best I can afford whether it be a bike or whatever. Experience has taught me that it is usually the cheapest option in the long run.

May I ask what experience? Earlier you gave mention to a friend who trashed cheap bikes by not looking after them.

Also given the choice for an everyday Trail bike would you buy Shimano XTR or SLX componantary?

cjb

May I ask what experience? Earlier you gave mention to a friend who trashed cheap bikes by not looking after them.

Also given the choice for an everyday Trail bike would you buy Shimano XTR or SLX componantary?

I have used Shimano XT for 15 years and it has served me very well.

Top Bottom