£50 fine :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazy

I am not proud to say this but i got a ticket from traffic police (on motorbike) on mile end road for jumping Amber light.
i tried to convince the officer that the light turned amber while i was crossing and as soon as i realized instead of crossing the road i stopped on side of the road and waited for signal to get clear and than crossed the road however officer had made up him mind and insisted even if i stopped i still jumped the light, also he was very rude and aggressive so i stop trying to convince him and he issued me a ticket. he even said i don't have front light on which i told him look at my helmet (i have a light attached to my helmet like miners, some people think its a camera lol)

I am in two minds,
1. i should pay, this will save my time and energy,
2. i think its not fair, i am a law abiding citizen and i should prove my point, however i was told that if i goto court i might paying more.

it was my first ticket, please assist.

Thanks

Lazy

UPDATE:
i have paid the fine and learned my lesson my bike has a front light ATTACHED and i am using Extra light on my helmet.
its a clean slate again

Last edited:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Courts always believe the police. It's like they never lie.
If they were rude to you then push it on that basis.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
No sympathy here.^_^

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
As far as I am aware ( this is not fact ) An amber light is for driver / rider discretion . So going through on amber is not against the law .

clockman

Über Member
Courts always believe the police. It's like they never lie.
If they were rude to you then push it on that basis.

There are always two sides to a story. If you go to court, the beak will almost certainly take plods version and you could well end up with a larger fine AND possibly costs!
An ex copper friend of mine, jokingly, (I think!) says that you should never let the truth get in the way of good story!

On a serious note though, an amber traffic light means STOP at the stop line. You can only pass an amber light if you have already crossed the white line when it changes. If you say the light was amber after you crossed the line, you will have to prove it. And as you say you did stop at the side of the road and wait, plod has witnessed you stopping over the white line. Something else to consider, is that if the light was green for a time as you approached it, surely, you must have been expecting the lights to change!

If you started to argue with plod (however reasonable you think you where trying to be) you may well have just made things worse for yourself. Considering all the high profile fatalities towards the end of the year and plods increased presence at certain junctions, it is altogether possible that plod was trying to make a point.

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

well i guess i should pay... here goes my budget for a decent jacket :sad:,

Last edited:
Top Bottom