£50 fine :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Read the Highway Code! You only pass through an amber traffic light IF you have already crossed the white line.
It is not discretionary to stop at an amber traffic light.
That's a code , not the law . Im struggling to work out how its ok to go through amber if ive already gone through on green but it turns to amber when im past the white line . Amber is a warning and discretion is used .

clockman

Über Member
I don't see the argument. If it's green, you go through. If you are straddling the white line as it changes to amber you go through. If it's amber you stop, period. Or are people saying that it is ok blithely ride/drive through an amber light. Nowhere does it specifically say that to stop at an amber light is discretionary. Now a motor vehicle may not be able to stop safely, but that would be because of poor planning, by the driver!
But a cyclist should be able to stop, unless the road conditions prevent it. In which case they are riding without due regard for those conditions!
The Highway Code is set of rules for the guidance of ALL road users. MANY, although not all of these rules are LEGAL REQUIREMENTS and must be adhered to to avoid fines.
Now are people saying that as cyclists you only want to pick and choose how you follow these rules to suit yourselves!

buggi

Bird Saviour
wtf? Go to court and appeal it. Its not like you ran a red light. You stopped. albeit after the line, while the light was still on amber.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Read the Highway Code! You only pass through an amber traffic light IF you have already crossed the white line.
It is not discretionary to stop at an amber traffic light.
[QUOTE 2900382, member: 45"]That's incorrect. Read the link.[/quote]
Agreed. I read the PDF, and it clearly says that if you're behind the line when the light turns amber, but so close that you can't safely stop in time, then you carry on through.

Venod

Eh up
I don't see the argument. If it's green, you go through. If you are straddling the white line as it changes to amber you go through. If it's amber you stop, period. Or are people saying that it is ok blithely ride/drive through an amber light. Nowhere does it specifically say that to stop at an amber light is discretionary. Now a motor vehicle may not be able to stop safely, but that would be because of poor planning, by the driver!
But a cyclist should be able to stop, unless the road conditions prevent it. In which case they are riding without due regard for those conditions!
The Highway Code is set of rules for the guidance of ALL road users. MANY, although not all of these rules are LEGAL REQUIREMENTS and must be adhered to to avoid fines.
Now are people saying that as cyclists you only want to pick and choose how you follow these rules to suit yourselves!

Are you suggesting that if the light changes from green to amber while I am 3 foot from the line I should slam on my brakes with the possible consequences of the vehicle behind rear ending me, poor planning on approaching the lights is nonsense the amber light is a stop light if safe to do so, its a warning that the next light is red and has worked quite well for a lot of years.

Maylian

Veteran
Are you suggesting that if the light changes from green to amber while I am 3 foot from the line I should slam on my brakes with the possible consequences of the vehicle behind rear ending me, poor planning on approaching the lights is nonsense the amber light is a stop light if safe to do so, its a warning that the next light is red and has worked quite well for a lot of years.

I think what they're suggesting is that you slow to 5mph at every set of lights just on the off chance they turn red? I've always worked on the premise that you stop if it is safe to do so on amber. There have been several occasions where it has not been safe for me to do so, either cars very close behind (you invariably then hear / see them whiz past you, undoubtedly running reds) or just the momentum you're carrying is too much to stop in time (that isn't always due to poor planning).

Top Bottom