£50 fine :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

And there are also many who don't jump red lights.

There are also plenty with registration plates who do jump red lights, or who accelerate to get through amber...

I thought we were discussing a cycling RLJ's ....the ones up for scrutiny are the ones who do it. If you don't, then you aren't and can get off that high horse...Okaaaayyy ;)

Lets see - if it's £50 a pop for running red, no lights on bike or riding on the pavement - @MisterStan and I could have trousered £300 from offenders last night within 5 minutes of leaving work in Cambridge
Get one of those policebikes that someone mentioned on the forums yesterday. At that rate it will have paid for itself in 3 days unless you get done for impersonating a police officer!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The monstrous and ridiculous cheek of someone who introduced a gratuitous anecdote about riding his motorbike illegally going on to accuse another poster of being on their high horse for mentioning something other than cyclists! Incredible really.

He doesn't cycle anymore !!!:tongue:

Reactions: gaz

Linford

The monstrous and ridiculous cheek of someone who introduced a gratuitous anecdote about riding his motorbike illegally going on to accuse another poster of being on their high horse for mentioning something other than cyclists! Incredible really.

Yup, I fought the law, and the law won....I knew what I was doing, chose to do it in a manner which didn't cause anyone else a problem (apart from the following patrol car ;) ), and as a result the officer had only evidence for me breaking the limit and nothing else.....Now I could have said 'yeabut, there are supercars out there which can go faster ' or some other tosh ..... but I didn't and that is why the charge was only sp
You seem to be happier with people breaking the law, but only when using a mode which you approve of....

benb

Evidence based cyclist
As far as I am aware ( this is not fact ) An amber light is for driver / rider discretion . So going through on amber is not against the law .

Incorrect. Amber means the same as red, and going through on amber has, in law, the same penalty. 3 points and £100 as a driver, or £50 as a cyclist.

There is a defence if you were so close to the line that to stop would be more dangerous than to continue.
There is no defence for going through on red.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Read the Highway Code! You only pass through an amber traffic light IF you have already crossed the white line.
It is not discretionary to stop at an amber traffic light.

Or if you were so close to the line that you could not safely stop before the line.

Linford

He doesn't cycle anymore !!!:tongue:

He doesn't want to cycle in crap weather on greasy roads...he doesn't want to motorcycle on them either...:whistle:

Still tootling around the town on my roadie, but not done any proper rides for a few weeks now.. in the wettest January in over 100 years...funny that ;)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
wtf? Go to court and appeal it. Its not like you ran a red light. You stopped. albeit after the line, while the light was still on amber.

If any part of the vehicle crosses the line when the light is amber or red, the offence is complete. So the fact that he stopped after the line is irrelevant to the offence.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
As others have said, stopping on amber is preferred but discretionary, doing an emergency stop to avoid going through an amber light even if there is no one behind is generally frowned upon & unless you slow down to a virtual stop at every traffic light then you're going to go through an amber on a fairly regular basis. The whole point of amber is to give people a warning that something is about to happen & to give a little bit of leeway thus avoiding the need for emergency stop type braking. On a bike you also have to be aware that you've not got a break light, this means suddenly stopping very quickly is putting your self at risk.

In fact it has been, successfully, argued that going through a red light is discretionary to a very, very limited degree in that if jumping red light will avoid a collision then it's acceptable. Less clear cut has been moving out of the way for an emergency vehicle, sometimes this has been accepted as a defence other times it hasn't

I suggest you re-read the highway code, as that is absolutely not true.

Linford

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0STTeLaveDLx_B920PqHVmzxhh2gDei66DO0DQjXNyMhO1kTQYg.jpg

Choosing not to is not the same as being unable too.....a bit like you and me getting around Donington Park

You

adult_trike.jpg

Me

Donington2002[1].jpg

Top Bottom