£50 fine :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've noticed when I am driving, if the light turns amber as I am close to the line and I make split second decision on whether to proceed or not and I decide to go ahead, it's almost invariable that the car following me goes through and often the one behind that. And I'm not talking about cars that were so close that I was concerned about be rear ended. It's just that most drivers seem to regard an amber as "green with acceleration"

(this has made me wonder how many drivers would run red lights. I mean, if a cyclist gets to an intersection and there is another cyclist stopped, the second cyclist can still run the red. If a car reaches an intersection and the car in front is stopped, then the second car is stuck, no matter what the driver would do if they could)

OP: you entered the intersection on a green light, and then stopped somewhere past the stop line as it turned amber and then red? Being across the stop line when the light is red is definitely ticketable, but finishing a crossing on amber isn't. Why didn't you keep going?

buggi

Bird Saviour
If any part of the vehicle crosses the line when the light is amber or red, the offence is complete. So the fact that he stopped after the line is irrelevant to the offence.
you can cross a line on amber if you haven't got time to stop. Really he should have kept going but to be ticketed for stopping is just silly. Phone the CTC!!

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
The OP is on a cruising to a bruising though. He went through an amber (remember his opinion) but a police officer wasn't happy with the 'timing'. Upon being stopped he tried to 'convince' (argue with ?) the officer about the traffic lights, then it turns out he has no lights on his bike as well.

Don't forget this is the OP's view we get. Arguing with a police officer, and having no lights isn't the brightest thing to do. If he had apologised, and had lights on his bike, he may have been let off.

That's right and unless this cop is "Dirty Harry" then he probably had a good reason for pulling the OP up.

I came up against a bad tempered cop at Holborn a few years ago but I was at fault.Went past a "Road Closed" sign and was pulled up by this policemen who asked me if I had seen the sign.I answered yes quite pathetically and was astounded when he let me off.I didn't expect that.:blink:

Last edited:

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
And get them to explain the law on not having a front light fitted to your bike while you're on the phone :thumbsup:

Didn't he have a light on his helmet? @Fnarr Fnarr

Top Bottom