£50 fine :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockman

Über Member
I think what they're suggesting is that you slow to 5mph at every set of lights just on the off chance they turn red? I've always worked on the premise that you stop if it is safe to do so on amber. There have been several occasions where it has not been safe for me to do so, either cars very close behind (you invariably then hear / see them whiz past you, undoubtedly running reds) or just the momentum you're carrying is too much to stop in time (that isn't always due to poor planning).
The point is that as you approach a green light, if it has been green for some time, you should expect it to turn to amber & red and plan for the eventuality, slow down and be prepared to stop.
Are you all in such a damned rush, that you aren't prepared to slow down a bit for your own self preservation?

clockman

Über Member
You'd be wise to study your Highway Code a bit more then (and don't forget, it's more than a code; where it uses the term 'MUST' the applicable law(s) will appear as a footnote).

If failing to stop for an amber light isn't illegal, why do you think the cop issued the OP with a ticket?

GC
BINGO!!!
I wish I was able to be so succinct.

clockman

Über Member
I suggest you re-read the highway code, as that is absolutely not true.
It continues to amaze me, that a majority of cyclists only want the rules of the road to others and only use the parts that they think apply to them, ignoring the parts that they don't like.
The Highway Code is a set of rules for the guidance of all road users. That includes, pedestrians, cyclists, car, lorry, bus drivers and horse riders. There are some of the rules that are just for guidance, like as a pedestrian, look in both directions to make sure it is safe to cross the road. What idiot wouldn't? But, other rules MUST be adhered to. Like being aware and planning to be able to stop safely as you approach a green traffic light, if it should change to a stop light. As such, if you are caught breaking that rule, you stand the possibility of receiving a fine. Amber AND Red lights mean stop. An amber light does not mean stop, only if you can be bothered.

Linford

Those who think it's an affront to civilisation that he was ticketed, and are advising him to fight it, I'm curious: would you be expressing the same outrage and sympathy if a car driver had done the same thing ... ?

Since when has a balanced argument ever been de-rigueur here ? :rofl:

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

That's right and unless this cop is "Dirty Harry" then he probably had a good reason for pulling the OP up.

I came up against a bad tempered cop at Holborn a few years ago but I was at fault.Went past a "Road Closed" sign and was pulled up by this policemen who asked me if I had seen the sign.I answered yes quite pathetically and was astounded when he let me off.I didn't expect that.:blink:

you must have a pretty face :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Well done lazy. Now forget it.

GrasB

Veteran
I suggest you re-read the highway code, as that is absolutely not true.
Actually I suggest YOU read the highway code because the scope of the discretion the driver has is clearly set out (my emphasis).
You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36
So your discretion is if you think you may cause a collision. It's worth noting that very hard braking & emergency stops can cause cars to slide out of control which is for all intents & purposes a collision

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Actually I suggest YOU read the highway code because the scope of the discretion the driver has is clearly set out (my emphasis).

So your discretion is if you think you may cause a collision. It's worth noting that very hard braking & emergency stops can cause cars to slide out of control which is for all intents & purposes a collision

That's not what you said at all though, is it?
Amber means the same as red, unless you were so close to the line that it is unsafe to stop.
Hardly discretionary.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Cyclists be aware that you cannot be convicted on the "uncorroborated" evidence of a single police officer, that's why they have cameras or a mate with them, a simple "no comment" usually suffices in this situation and the CPS are aware of this. They generally rely on us laying down & wiggling our legs in the air "the dying fly" to secure a conviction.

uclown2002

Guru
Cyclists be aware that you cannot be convicted on the "uncorroborated" evidence of a single police officer, that's why they have cameras or a mate with them, a simple "no comment" usually suffices in this situation and the CPS are aware of this. They generally rely on us laying down & wiggling our legs in the air "the dying fly" to secure a conviction.
wtf

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

I thought that was an old wives tale?

Top Bottom