£500 Budget...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

exetersimon

....seasoned MTBer looking for first road bike since my late 80s Raleigh Equipe...

£500 budget looking for something casual to take out or sling on a turbo trainer when I can't be assed to spend hours cleaning crap from the MTB.

All ideas welcome!

Simon

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Spesh Allez?

OP
OP
E

exetersimon

Cheers guys....looks like a popular choice. Glad Spesh got a mention as use a Stumpy FSR for the offroad shenanigans.

Yorkshiregoth...is that Fields of the Nephilim in your profile pic?

Are you in Exeter Simon (not wanting to jump to conclusions from your user name you understand...)?
Bike Shed do a good range of Spesh's and the blokes in there are very knowledgeable and helpful. They also stock Trek. You might still be able to get an end of year online bargain from Evans or Wiggle. For £500 you'll get a decent bike, no matter what. The only real question is how upgradeable it is (and most bikes at that price point would benefit from better wheels) and what your preferences are regarding kit (Shimano or that Italian rubbish) etc.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
exetersimon said:
Cheers guys....looks like a popular choice. Glad Spesh got a mention as use a Stumpy FSR for the offroad shenanigans.

Yorkshiregoth...is that Fields of the Nephilim in your profile pic?

It sure is!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Giant SCR 2.
Comes with Tiagra triple...useful around Exeter.
Clearance and fittings for full mudguards.
Will also take a rack for lightweight long distance stuff.
Less extreme positioning than budget race-bikes, but bars can be lowered if you want for TT's club-nights.

Rides really well, my mate has one and I was really surprised how it compared to my TCR which a couple of years back cost nearly 3x the price.

IMO the best all-rounder available. The Allez probably shaves it IF you need a more single-minded machine.
Allow part budget for clipless pedals.

OP
OP
E

exetersimon

Chuffy....your assumption is correct!

Did nip in to the Bike Shed the other day but they were packed so just had a nosey.

I am now pulled between the Spesh Allez and the Focus Summit....although Spesh does have that allure...

exetersimon said:
Chuffy....your assumption is correct!

Did nip in to the Bike Shed the other day but they were packed so just had a nosey.

I am now pulled between the Spesh Allez and the Focus Summit....although Spesh does have that allure...
A bit common though...:angry::tongue:

Can I just lob this Trek Pilot 1.0 into the middle: Less extreme race position if that's what you're looking for, also a tribble chainring but you will have toe overlap. I preferred it to the Allez when I was looking but actually chose something entirely different to both - hey hum!

Top Bottom