£500 road bike - any recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
One thing i would say you may need to stretch your budget to £600 for a decent bike, at least that is what i was told by variuos LBS's when i first started looking.

They may have a point. £600 and you're into Cannondale, Specialized, Giant and the rest. While a Triban3 with half decent wheels is alright, a CAAD8/Allez/Defy with lesser components has a better frame that you can upgrade over time if you want to. But of course, always try and see your shortlist in the flesh and get a test ride if possible before you open that wallet :smile:.

Tony.

Widge

Baldy Go
Eeerm,,,,well what immediately springs to mind is Triban 3 with a wheel upgrade......(a lttle down the line when the ones it comes with start to cr@p out)

The reds days are numbered but the new T5a black is a lot of bike for the money too.

However, if you are (as you seem to imply) a 'Brand Snob' then you might choose to buy less for your money elsewhere. Pay yer money-take yer choice? Most big-name companies have an entry level model within a 5-6 hundred pound budget.

HTH

w

What's wrong with Triban 3's wheels?

Absolutely nothing, they're just not very good, relatively speaking, like the wheels and tyres on nearly any sub-£1000 bike you care to mention (for the record I have the 5A with original wheels (same as the 3); I'll probably upgrade them in a year or so but for now they're fine).

Cyclist33

nothing, but if youve got a budget of 500 and the triban 3 costs 300, stick a pair of aksium race wheels on with matching tyres, 200 odd quid at merlin, and see the difference !

camtheman

Regular
The only drawback (from my perspective) with a Triban 3 is that the chainset seems to be a triple. Great if you want a triple, in fact absolutely brilliant because they are not particularly common. Bummer if you don't because you're going to want to swap it for a double asap. I couldn't cope with a triple, way too many choices going on! I'd rather huff and puff up them hills with a compact double and, believe me, I live in a hilly part of Yorkshire. Besides, triples are for mountain bikers :biggrin: .

outlash

also available in orange
Eeerm,,,,well what immediately springs to mind is Triban 3 with a wheel upgrade......(a lttle down the line when the ones it comes with start to cr@p out)

The reds days are numbered but the new T5a black is a lot of bike for the money too.

However, if you are (as you seem to imply) a 'Brand Snob' then you might choose to buy less for your money elsewhere. Pay yer money-take yer choice? Most big-name companies have an entry level model within a 5-6 hundred pound budget.

HTH

w

That's a bit harsh isn't it? I don't think anyone is arguing that a Triban 3 is great value but the frame isn't as good as a CAAD8/Synapse/Defy/Allez. I've gone from a Triban to a CAAD8 and the difference is like night and day. It's not brand snobbery, it's a better bike.

Time you add on better wheels onto a Triban, there's not a huge difference in price. There's a little bit of kidology going on here.

Tony.

I think it's been said but worth re-iterating, you do get what you pay for. I re-started last year with a Carrera TDF from Halfords, it was a very good deal especially as I didn't know if I was going to continue so I didn't want to pay out very much. This February I brought myself a Giant Defy 1 as in all the reviews it came out top in it's price range and a brief test ride confirmed it was good. I love it and the difference is not just noticeable it's chalk and cheese. It's easier to ride faster, handles well and the gearing is spot on. That for me makes the extra cost worthwhile and is why, in my opinion, you should spend as much as you are able and get a bike that has reviewed well by not just the bike press but other cyclists too.

Cyclist33

That's a bit harsh isn't it? I don't think anyone is arguing that a Triban 3 is great value but the frame isn't as good as a CAAD8/Synapse/Defy/Allez. I've gone from a Triban to a CAAD8 and the difference is like night and day. It's not brand snobbery, it's a better bike.

Time you add on better wheels onto a Triban, there's not a huge difference in price. There's a little bit of kidology going on here.

Tony.

what does kidology mean? im not sure...

exactly what is it thats night n day about the caad, and have you conducted control experiments to evaluate the difference? is it the frame, wheels, gears, geometry, price point, maybe the sizing just worked better for you, etc etc. have you weighed the respective bare frames if weights the key? how do the two bikes figure if you ride each with the same parts specs?

or is it down to looks, perceived weight advantage and the principle of spend more, be fitter?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Like others the Triban - but it'd be the new 5. Alternatively ...

Oddly enough, having done 1400+ miles on a Raleigh Airlite over the winter my view of it's improved, particularly after it got a carbon fork fitted and different brake pads. Their new Revenio range comes in at just over £500 for the Revenio 1.

MaxInc

I'm watching the thread with interest because I'm considering getting a road bike. Money is not an issue but I tend not to spend on features that will be not be enhancing the overall experience. The more I read the more confused I get :smile:)

A few things that are very clear so far. Everybodye loves their bikes. There is no perfect bike. Every bike needs to be upgraded and that Triban 3 is a lot of bike for what it costs. Having seen it at Decathlon, it's not looking too bad either and the white version is even cheaper at £279.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you are considering an entry level bike with 2300 gearing (or whatever the replacement is with the silly name), go ride one and check you can get on with the thumb shifter - some can't, some can (seems to depend on the size of your hands).

I am not sure what features you mean in terms of not enhancing the overall experience - that may add cost? Bikes are pretty straightforward and all of the bits are there for a reason - to make it work, easier to work, make it lighter or to look more aesthetically pleasing (although this is pretty subjective), make it more practical as a commuter/tourer etc

Top Bottom