£500 Winter ‘road’ bike advice 🤷‍♂️

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
So after a lot of reading reviews, faffing around 🤦‍♂️ and generally pontificating as i normally manage: I am definitely intending on purchasing a Fuji 2.3 Sportive today:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fuji-sportif-2-3-road-bike-2022/rp-prod201668

Only slight issue is it’s going to be an online purchase from Chain Reaction Cycles. When I fairly recently purchased my Forme Monyash (In person locally) I tried a few sizes - and it was suggested by the shop that although I’m 6’2 tall / 32” inside leg - I get a large due to having a bigger body to leg ratio than an average person of my height. From riding it and suffering no comfort issues etc I have no reason to think otherwise or consider the 56cm / Large is incorrect.

So: the Forme size guide / Geometries are here:

https://formebikes.co.uk/monyash-2

And the Fuji’s are here:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...eSizeChartInfoNormal.jsp?productId=prod201668

I’ll be honest: the differing Geometries between the Brands confuse me. And I can’t quite tell which will be most similar.
And I’m torn between 56 and 58cm. Bike will be used for general use, 16 mile round trip commutes to work; and 25-30 mile blats at the weekend. More interested in outright comfort than anything else. Hence one of the reasons for choosing this ‘relaxed Geometry’ model…..

Is anyone going to be so bold as to suggest if I should go with 56 or 58 ? **And which is better / easier to change stem length / height / other contact points to suit if one is likely to be too small or large accordingly ?

All advice and expertise welcomed 🙏

Last edited:
A smaller bike can be made bigger with a longer stem and set back seatpost but a larger bike can only be made so small.

If it is any help, I am an in betweener at 5ft 7 which is the limit for a small/medium. I tend to go for the smaller frame as I have short legs and therefore need a smaller seat tube.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
If it is any help, I am an in betweener at 5ft 7 which is the limit for a small/medium. I tend to go for the smaller frame as I have short legs and therefore need a smaller seat tube.

Further thanks bd90 !

Which similarly echoes me being between Large and XL frame sizes: (But with effectively short legs for my size) I guess…..

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
So thanks to all that helped while I pontificated: I did eventually buy a Fuji 2.3 Sportiv (Relaxed geometry mile muncher the blurb says). And went for the large / 56cm.

And having now arrived and built it up - I think it was the right choice. And the right size 😎🙏

Most places sell / were selling these 2022 models for between £600 and £700.
Chain reaction were supposedly once £850: and had them reduced in pre Christmas sales to £400. I then found a 10% discount code making it £360 delivered to my door.

Where else would I get a branded drop-bar commuter with Claris 2 x 8 gearing, some FSA components and crank, internal routing, what feel like decent Tektro stoppers, Selle Royal posterior perch, Zaffiro 30c tyres blah blah - and all coming in right around 10kg.

I genuinely feel like I’ve ripped someone’s arm off [For a change]. Pedals on and I’m outta here !

Cheers all once again 👍

****No I haven’t lowered seatpost to final position yet either. Allen key is coming with me for the ride 🤣

DAD28EB0-CB1C-4BD1-B7CB-FA1BE6A59167.jpeg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
So thanks to all that helped while I pontificated: I did eventually buy a Fuji 2.3 Sportiv (Relaxed geometry mile muncher the blurb says). And went for the large / 56cm.

And having now arrived and built it up - I think it was the right choice. And the right size 😎🙏

Chain reaction were supposedly once £850: and had them reduced in pre Christmas sales to £400. I then found a 10% discount code making it £360 delivered to my door.

Where else would I get a branded drop-bar commuter with Claris 2 x 8 gearing, some FSA components and crank, internal routing, what feel like decent Tektro stoppers, Selle Royal posterior perch, Zaffiro 30c tyres blah blah - and all coming in right around 10kg.

I genuinely feel like I’ve ripped someone’s arm off [For a change]. Pedals on and I’m outta here !

Cheers all once again 👍

****No I haven’t lowered seatpost to final position yet either. Allen key is coming with me for the ride 🤣

View attachment 673647

Jammy deal that!!

Cheers all once again 👍

View attachment 673647

Claris is a brilliant groupset, ultra-reliable and very long lasting. Yes shifting can be a bit clunky because of the wider gaps and I guess less than optimal cadence compared to the fancier groupsets but still fantastic value. I personally struggle to see the point of paying more unless you are a competitive cyclist. That Fuji in red looks a lot nicer than many top end bikes too, its just a lovely colour.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Claris is a brilliant groupset, ultra-reliable and very long lasting. Yes shifting can be a bit clunky because of the wider gaps and I guess less than optimal cadence compared to the fancier groupsets but still fantastic value. I personally struggle to see the point of paying more unless you are a competitive cyclist. That Fuji in red looks a lot nicer than many top end bikes too, its just a lovely colour.

Thankyou !

I'm genuinely; absolutely thrilled with it. Looks fresh without being tacky imo - in one solid bright colour (Exactly what i set out for in my initial post - a few other bikes in the families / my fleet; being dark coloured or Black), has a pretty decent spec sheet for a fun / commuting bike and the more i use it - the more i really think i paid a pittance for it too. And i completely agree on gearing. For me - its just about 'enough' without being too tough when not quite at the sweetspot.....

The only offset of that pricing point - is i do wonder why i paid nearly 3 times that price for something not a whole lot better on paper last year. Still.....two different set-ups for different purposes now; so not the end of the World.

Stay safe ^_^

Top Bottom