£500 Winter ‘road’ bike advice 🤷‍♂️

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Should be some post Xmas discounts

I think this is the answer.

On a budget - something may well have to give. Size (56cm / Large) isn’t one of those ! Wide spread of gears is a must if I’m going to be encouraged to get out in Winter (Couple of the Tribans, the Brand X and others at these price points get ‘slated’ despite the good reviews for limited low end gearing). And I’d ideally like something bright and fresh looking - not Black. Number of gears / manufacture / exact colour / exact tyre size I’m not hugely fussed over….

And I’m not seeing much / anything about right now: that fits too many of my / the above important criteria. Especially not new - and secondhand worries me as-such.

I have a Winter mountain bike to use for the time being. So maybe (Begrudgingly) I’ll keep looking - but also stay patient until Boxing Day / New Year Sales.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
https://www.resurrectionbikes.org.uk/products-category/adult-road-bikes/page/2/

Anything on here take your fancy.

Have a freind with e bike business in dales who could post and knows the guys above...

Cheers for heads up / offer. Looks like all for a good cause too 👍

Nothing even close to my requirements though. Especially frame size. And I’m really not that fussy otherwise….

Jameshow

Veteran
I think this is the answer.

On a budget - something may well have to give. Size (56cm / Large) isn’t one of those ! Wide spread of gears is a must if I’m going to be encouraged to get out in Winter (Couple of the Tribans, the Brand X and others at these price points get ‘slated’ despite the good reviews for limited low end gearing). And I’d ideally like something bright and fresh looking - not Black. Number of gears / manufacture / exact colour / exact tyre size I’m not hugely fussed over….

And I’m not seeing much / anything about right now: that fits too many of my / the above important criteria. Especially not new - and secondhand worries me as-such.

I have a Winter mountain bike to use for the time being. So maybe (Begrudgingly) I’ll keep looking - but also stay patient until Boxing Day / New Year Sales.

You can change a small tooth cassette up to about a 36 or higher with a rd extender.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Had a look in my local Evans Cycles this Morning: the Grey Ceres (Pictured) looked nice. And was an absolute steal at nearly half price. Ideal for salty / crud bound roads in Winter without caring too much. Shame there were no Large left.

So I’m now pretty sure I’m about to order this Fuji Sportive 2.3. Spec looks good as it gets for £400. And almost every review I’ve found with a little Googling reads very well;

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fuji-sportif-23-road-bike-2022

Any thoughts or experience on the Fuji ?

Attachments

• 087C8F2B-3D1F-451F-BD59-82A624D7E99F.jpeg
    087C8F2B-3D1F-451F-BD59-82A624D7E99F.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 9
Some good Planet X on fleabag. I got a great full Monty as I wanted same as you. Threw some mudguards on and it’s great on the panaracer wide rubber on mixed surfaces

vickster

Legendary Member
Had a look in my local Evans Cycles this Morning: the Grey Ceres (Pictured) looked nice. And was an absolute steal at nearly half price. Ideal for salty / crud bound roads in Winter without caring too much. Shame there were no Large left.

So I’m now pretty sure I’m about to order this Fuji Sportive 2.3. Spec looks good as it gets for £400. And almost every review I’ve found with a little Googling reads very well;

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fuji-sportif-23-road-bike-2022

Any thoughts or experience on the Fuji ?

I’d go for this over the Fuji, carbon fork (Fuji has alu), disc brakes, tubeless ready wheels, lifetime frame warranty, £50 more in sale
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-bike-triban-rc-120-disc-brake/_/R-p-308064

Upgrade the brakes with some used TRP Spyres from eBay

A secondhand touring bike would be far more practical. Rack for carrying stuff and mudguards so less cleaning/maintenance necessary.

Lots of them even have dynamo hubs. No need to think about lights till spring!

I sold a Dawes Horizon for £60 on this forum the other week. There are lots of bikes like that around, you can barely tourers away compared to a couple of years ago.

You'd want a larger frame in traditional sizing though. Think 24", probably. But it would fit you better.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The OP is 6’2 though, a L may be just ok

@cyberknight has one

indeed and i use mine as a year round commuter , i didnt mention it as i was afraid of the usual store bashing .
The only issue i had was the stock tyres are a bit rubbish and come up narrow .The brakes are not the best in the dry i have caliper bikes that are better but in the wet your not playing the "uhm am i going to stop " game As mentioned above if its an issue then an upgrade to dual piston brakes would solve that but they work well enough not to be an issue once you know them.

Top Bottom