£550

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
I reckon any savings I have made have been eaten up by spending on cycling stuff and then some more, but I am fitter, healthier and a lot happier so sod it
I have spent a bit, not loads and don't include that in my calculations!
But I am fitter and healthier with thighs of steel!! lol

So far I haven't saved a penny on commuting due to buying bike, kit, accessories, repairs etc (actually down by around £900 3 months in) but I don't look at it like that as eventually it will pay for itself, it is a great way of getting fit, now my inexpensive evening/weekend hobby.

However, I really do like that I spend only £20 a month on fuel as apposed to £120 and am doing my bit to reduce the impact on the environment. If you add savings on gym memberships, more expensive hobbies such as trips to the cinema, bowling and eating out due to boredom, it really does pay for itself much more quickly. Also, there are not many hobbies (in my experience) as rewarding and healthy are biking to work. I look forward to going car free in January (getting out of a sticky upside down car lease situation) and being £450 better off each month :bicycle:.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been commuting by bike for over 30 years, I was car free for over 30 years, I haven't a clue how much I've saved but it must be an awful lot.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Roughly £5450 - Since May 2011 1250+ Single way journeys, by bike it s 15 miles and car 18 as it is quicker on the motorway. Definitely add 2 maybe 4 tyres at £180+ each and at least one full service at £300-400. I have definitely spent more than that on bikes and other stuff. Other downside is my old pride and joy has green mildew growing on the rubber parts due to lack of care and use. It was way over the average 12k per annum miles and now is a little under!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Once we move closer to the City we have estimated that we will save £60 a week in fuel as we will be able to get to client's homes by bike rather than have a first commute of 14 miles, then 8 miles to the next customer and then 4 to the next and so on and so forth. Our furthest customer will be 4 miles from home. We plan to put the fuel savings in a jar from when we move until the rest of the year to see how it goes and then, hopefully carry that on over the course of next year.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I reckon I save thirty pounds per day by driving my own car to work and back instead of getting a taxi.

EthelF

Rain God
Wow. I just looked up the cost of a Zone 1-3 Travelcard. I had no idea how expensive they were (I last had one in about 1996). Do people really pay £1,472 a year (or £141.40 a month) to go by public transport?
Even taking into account the 2 bikes I have bought in the 4 years since I've lived in my current house, all the new cycling kit, and the extra Pret a Manger breakfasts, I'm still quids in (and less fat). <penny drops> Time to look into N+1!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow. I just looked up the cost of a Zone 1-3 Travelcard. I had no idea how expensive they were (I last had one in about 1996). Do people really pay £1,472 a year (or £141.40 a month) to go by public transport?
Even taking into account the 2 bikes I have bought in the 4 years since I've lived in my current house, all the new cycling kit, and the extra Pret a Manger breakfasts, I'm still quids in (and less fat). <penny drops> Time to look into N+1!

The last time I was buying a monthly Zone 1-6 travlecard was in 2001, cost £139 per month. Cost now would be £219.
When I was living in Zone 4 in 1983 I was paying £36 per month for a Zone 1-4 travel card.

If I was to travel to work by train now it a Zone 3-6 travelcard would cost me £120 per month

Tube Cost Time Machine HERE

The problem with the tube fare this is that the further out, the harder it gets. I live in zone 6 so my fare is around £2200, but commuting 5 days a week, 36 miles RT is hard, and if I dont do it at least twice a week, by the time I have paid single fares, I may as well bought a travelcard.

Top Bottom